With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon story ideas and themes you are sick off, and ones you would like to see

I come from the net Master-Element's Avatar

Digimon story ideas and themes you are sick off, and ones you would like to see

Hi, so I'm making a digimon fan game, so I have been spending time thinking about what the plot of it is going to be. While I contemplated this, I remembered so many of the reoccurring themes and premises that digimon anime, games, and manga, reuse all the time. (Some to the point they are beating a dead horse)
    One of the main ones is who is the antagonist, for example so many times it's the Royal Knights and Yggdrasill, and some times they are just the front for the real villain.
    Another is the Demon lords, even when they aren't the big bad they have a part where they act as a antagonist, like digimon story.
    So if I am goign to make my own original story I want to know what cliches you guys are tired of seeing in every digimon serial?
    Second I want you to tell me what themes, ideas, or concepts you would like to see, either for the first time, or just because it's not used much.

I will go first, I am pretty sick of the Royal Knights being the bad guys in some way, and Yggdrasill especially, for once I want to see him as benevolent towards humans.
    I'm also tired of the villains, when acting as a group being one for all and all for one, basically turning on each other as soon as it's convient. I want to see a group that is dedicated towards their mutual goal and will even sacrafice for it. Maybe a Cult or something?

Also I want to see the royal knights working along side humans, maybe Yggdrasill selecting a worthy human to be the partner of each knight.
    I also would like to see humans create digimon again, like in tamers, but this time living along side them like assisting them. Maybe kind of like the net navi's do in Rockman EXE?
    That would work well with Yggdrasill being the host computer, installed by the human creators to monitor the digital world. This would also be good, because human's could use computer programming on the digimon. Maybe some hackers modifying some of them. Like for instance make mugendramon into choasdramon?

So what are your guys ideas? Also if you like someone's ideas, so say, so I can know which ones are more popular?
    Last edited by Master-Element; 02-26-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    I'm the sprite artist formerly known as Digi-Brigade

I'm sick of certain Royal Knights always being the bad guys and the main protagonist RKs always being good guys. I don't like how they're always portrayed as either hating humanity or trying to save it and there's no middle ground. :/

For that matter, I'd rather the RKs weren't used so much and instead Ancients and the Olympus 12 (all of them) were used instead. I think the last time Ancients got any love, was in Lost Evolution and I don't think some Olympus 12, like Marsmon have been playable in any games.

I guess X-Evolutions could do with a game of their own, but by this point, there are so many neglected Digimon, I'd rather see more Armors, Devas, Ancients and Olympus 12 playable or at least appear.

Another thing I'd do, is go back to how things were in Digimon Dusk, where Data/Vaccine Digimon were sometimes bosses and Virus Digimon not seen as inherently evil.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 02-26-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Well, I had one concept. I used it once in my novel, which I admit I'm writing for more than seven years. I started with its before Xros Wars...

I've got several groups... Royal Knight and Yggdrasil, where they do not work but as the main villains or anything. Rather like someone touches it. Resolving questions about the operation of their problem and loalitou so. My Yggdrassill are applied such a small program, which the Knights impossible to act against him. Even if not itself. And one of the members is a partner. Then there's resistance group headed by Venusmon. Finally, a group of villains. The trick is that if we have a villain that is at least half the world know who in the background pulling the strings. Royal Knights know that their master ruled, but they can do nothing done publicly. And the group is essentially one creature. The virus, which is trying to get to a certain place. That place is where the backups are Digital world from its very beginning. And of course, there we have a group of people having multiple partners. Well, I think the authors to XW have read some of my ideas: D

I'm sick of the Royal Knights in general. They've been used as plot so many times now. We have other groups too. Olympos XIII, 7 Great Demon Lords, Warrior Ten, Big Death-Stars, BAN-TYO, Crack Team, Celestials, Three Musketeers etc.
    What I'd like to see is Bandai handling them like how One Piece did. For those who aren't familiar, in OP there are tons of factions, none of which are truly benevolent or malevolent. They all each have their own objectives and schemes. Even within the same group there are differing goals among the members. From time to time their paths cross, and depending on their goals, they'll either work together or against each other. It gives this awesome sense of scale seeing the dynamics between the groups (and their members), how they interact with each other.
    Last edited by samazam; 02-27-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Completely digital Lord Archfiend Kliff's Avatar
    I mean, RK and 7DDL remind me of archetypes in Yu-Gi-Oh! in the sense that, now a days, there is a lot of focus on "Groups" instead of "Individuals", and when we get those Individuals, they are often reused, for example, Omegamon, even if not related to the RK in all universes, probably is one of the most re-used Digimon, making it's appearence feel stagnant and less important.

Now, I'm not saying that often overused Digimon don't have a place in games/other media, but these days, once a Digimon product comes out, I am always more interested in the "Others", not the "Staples", I would be more excited to have confirmed that say, Pidomon was in a game the next game than Beelzebmon. Altough the lack of those staples always makes me scratch my head a little. Either way this is more of a roster problem but I think it in some ways still applies.

I would also like to see a story with no clear "Big Villain", an overarching "End of the world" plot is cool and all but it gets tiresome. Plus give me evil Vaccine and Data Digimon too.

I quite liked the idea of "Lost Evolution" 's plot, I couldn't read it because I don't know Japanese but the concept of evolution being tinkered with is really is fairly cool for someone like me to whom evolution is the most interesting part of the franchise.

Actually, the concept of one big villain we have a lot of scifi. Rather it but wanted more emphasis on the sci-fi aspect of the problem. And also to the Digimon, and the world was handled to another level. Show them in a new light. Make society a more comprehensive.

In the deepest pits of hell, and the deep reaches of space... Occasionally both.
    Follow Xadhoom on DeviantArt Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel
    On the list of 'Like To See', I have this:

* A Digidestined/Tamer with a partner that was a villain in another story; a fic I'm doing has Relena from Savers with a Millenniummon.
    * Series-exclusive evolution methods spreading; Rina and Veevee (UlforceVeedramon) and Kari & Gatomon (Magnadramon) Bio-Merging.
    * Yggdrasill and the Royal Knights being the Big Goods who save the world even when all else fails.

On the other list...

* Dagomon being Kari-fixated and an imitation of Myotismon in all other regards. Partly because it's overdone, partly because that's not how the episode actually went down, partly because that's often all that's done with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post

For that matter, I'd rather the RKs weren't used so much and instead Ancients and the Olympus 12 (all of them) were used instead. I think the last time Ancients got any love, was in Lost Evolution and I don't think some Olympus 12, like Marsmon have been playable in any games.
    Marsmon was created for Digimon World 3. But I don't think he ever appeared outside of mobile games. I think I agree with pretty much everything you said too, although I love the X Antibodies so much and I don't really like the Deva (except Andiramon and even then I prefer the non Deva one.)

In the last 7 years or so they made so many cool new groups and only really use them for the mobile games, and card games which is really disappointing. Bancho, Three Musketeers, even the rest of the Olympus 12.

Absolutely agree about wanting to see groups other than the Royal Knights and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Seven Great Demon Lords. Personally I really want to see more of the Olympos XII, especially now that we have all twelve of them. I like samazam's idea about all the different groups existing at once and sometimes working together or against each other.

I come from the net Master-Element's Avatar
    First, I want to thank you all for your replies.
    Second, I fully intend to use the Royal Knights in my game, mostly because we never see them all together unless they are divided on the issue of humans, but also because many of them have gotten little to no love. My favorite Ulforce V-dramon has got some, but got mostly stiffed, like savers. Not to mention my second fav Duftmon is always a egotistical asshole, most times bent on genocide, which is bad because he is german in design.
    So I would like to know what aspects of royal knight portrayal you guys are sick of and, what you have never seen that you would like to, in addtion to everything in gerneral?
    I will go first,
    So as I just said, Duftmon as an self absorbed asshole, and being genocidal. I also don't want this with Lord Knightmon either, he seems to be designed to be vain and a jerk, but doesn't mean he is bad or villain. He just could be that good guy who everyone dislikes a little for he is a jerk, common archetype in anime.

Another thing I'm sick of is Royal Knights thinking so highly of themselves. In many depictions many of them think they are untouchable, and inevitably are astounded when a human partner digimon bests them. I also Am tired off them never questioning Yggdrasill. I know we have seem them do this, but they always have struggle to get there. I want to see them outright question.

Next I'm tired of seeing Alphamon the leader of the empty seat, either he was never around before, or he is unknown to the other knights to exist. Let him be a regular leader for once.

Finally I don't want to see Hackmon struggling to become a Royal knight, trianing under Gankoomon. It's only been done a few times and its tired.
    I'm the sprite artist formerly known as Digi-Brigade

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast