With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My honest critique/analysis of the 02 Epilogue

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    Yeah I mean, if everyone has a Digimon partner, that kind of takes the air out of being a "Chosen Child", right? Maybe Digivices stop proliferating to children as more and more partner with a Digimon... There's not really a need to be Chosen anymore if everyone has a partner.

Without Digivices, there's no reliable way to evolve your partner, so maybe Digimon evolve at the pace they would normally, without a Chosen to share energy with. That probably means that very few people see their partner evolve past Adult, with an exceptional few getting to Perfect and even Ultimate. Those cases are so few and far between that in the event that a human-Digimon partnership decide to use their powers for evil, there are systems in place to keep them in check.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    I personally enjoy any and all attempts at people trying to explain how a world where everyone has a Digimon partner could possibly function! Savers and Hunters gave us a glimpse at all the problems it could cause, but neither show offered any kind of possible solution.

Personally, all my complaints about odd career choices really are just secondary to wanting an answer to this question. It's just the easier topic to form coherent opinions on.

My own pet theory on the "everyone has a Digimon" future is that everyone has a Baby 2 level mon that eats digital world food. And only a very few people get up to Child level. Even smaller is the number of humans who can evolve their partners to Adult and beyond and typically they are actually Chosen, complete with Digivices and some sort of calling. (And at least the cursory background checks that the Agents seem capable of.)

I guess I'm assuming that Hikari and Taichi's innate ability to evolve their Botamon to Greymon without a Digivice is basically unheard of and the primary reason that they were Chosen by the Holy Beasts in the first place.

The Tamers, Savers, and Hunters continuities seem to contradict this though, showing that any strong human emotions can affect a Digimon's growth. (Notably those are also the series that show off how "everyone has a Digimon" does NOT work.)

Still, if we can assume that evolution past Child is basically an ability that one-in-a-100,000 humans can reach, then the world just looks like X-men instead of Terminator 2's future.
    Wait... 1 in 100,000...

10 Billion (Probably around that number of humans by the finale) divided by 100,000 = 100,000
    That means 100,000 humans will have Adult or higher level Digimon!! It still causes huge issues!

BTW, 1 in 100,000 is the amount of humans with inhuman blood in them, not the amount of humans who are mutants (which varies a lot!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra Seleno View Post
    Yeah I mean, if everyone has a Digimon partner, that kind of takes the air out of being a "Chosen Child", right? Maybe Digivices stop proliferating to children as more and more partner with a Digimon... There's not really a need to be Chosen anymore if everyone has a partner.

Without Digivices, there's no reliable way to evolve your partner, so maybe Digimon evolve at the pace they would normally, without a Chosen to share energy with. That probably means that very few people see their partner evolve past Adult, with an exceptional few getting to Perfect and even Ultimate. Those cases are so few and far between that in the event that a human-Digimon partnership decide to use their powers for evil, there are systems in place to keep them in check.
    I guess so... maybe Ultimate level Digimon only appear once every few years.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 02-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    Wait... 1 in 100,000...

10 Billion (Probably around that number of humans by the finale) divided by 100,000 = 100,000
    That means 100,000 humans will have Adult or higher level Digimon!! It still causes huge issues!
    Well yeah, I assume there's gonna be some problems either way. But 100,000 possible threats (a majority of which will probably be Chosen who are predisposed to be part of the solution instead of the problem) is definitely manageable. Especially compared to the potential 10 billion if -every- human has the capability to evolve their partner to Adult or higher.

Completely digital MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    however there are still a bunch of Child and Adult Digimon that could cause huge problems in the wrong hands

Commandramon
    Revolmon
    BomberNanimon
    Petermon
    Clockmon

from the top of my head
    Digimon Split Timeline Theory
    http://i.imgur.com/aXSNbBj.png
    Digimon All Evolution Trees
    http://imgur.com/a/osxRA

True, but there's got to be SOMETHING for all those Chosen to deal with. Can't have the X-Men without some evil mutants to fight~

Humans with inhuman blood...? What?? How is that even possible?

As cliche as it might sound, I really like the idea of a few humans being chosen to save the world with their own Digimon partner. It makes the story more interesting and engaging rather than absolutely everyone having their own Digimon. I also prefer stories where they focus on learning more about the Digital World and the characters bonding with their loved ones. That's kinda why Digimon Adventure is my favorite out of all the Digimon shows, and imo both 02 and Tri feel kinda... lackluster in comparison.

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiAmy View Post
    As cliche as it might sound, I really like the idea of a few humans being chosen to save the world with their own Digimon partner. It makes the story more interesting and engaging rather than absolutely everyone having their own Digimon.
    But that's why it only happens in the epilogue, which is set 25 years after the end of Adventure 02.

If you consider the "rules" of becoming Chosen in Digimon Adventure, they pretty much spell it out that people (mostly young people) who see/encounter Digimon end up becoming Chosen. By 02, there are Chosen Children all over the world. It just makes sense that in time, more and more people would be Chosen as more and more people become exposed to Digimon, resulting in everyone on the planet having a partner and nobody being "Chosen" anymore.

It almost feels like Buffy's finale to me, in the sense that now you're not the "one and only Chosen One" anymore and you can share the responsibility with others. Digimon just magnifies this.

But yeah, I don't think you can fairly say that it makes the story more interesting and engaging when the only instance we see of the show exploring everyone having a Digimon partner is a line spoken by a narrator. We don't even SEE the world full of every human with his/her own Digimon, and we don't know about the effects of such a thing, etc. It's just a concept in just one line in the very last episode of the show. So does it ruin the story, or does it just seem to sully what came before for some reason in your mind?

(Not that I'm trying to pick on you, just trying to get some clarification.)
    Last edited by AquaVersus; 02-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.

I see, that makes a bit more sense actually, since there were Digidestined from around the world. I guess the idea of so many Digimon partners is kinda overwhelming to me; I'm so used to only a smaller group of tamers with their own Digimon fighting off evil.
    Do you mean Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I never seen that so I wouldn't know for sure. ^^; (And sorry if I got that wrong LMAO)

I don't know, the epilogue just seemed so weird to me because of what I always watched in Adventure. The concept alone is enough for me to not like it so much, but I understand why it wouldn't ruin the story if it's only a few minutes.

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiAmy View Post
    I see, that makes a bit more sense actually, since there were Digidestined from around the world. I guess the idea of so many Digimon partners is kinda overwhelming to me; I'm so used to only a smaller group of tamers with their own Digimon fighting off evil.
    Do you mean Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I never seen that so I wouldn't know for sure. ^^; (And sorry if I got that wrong LMAO)

I don't know, the epilogue just seemed so weird to me because of what I always watched in Adventure. The concept alone is enough for me to not like it so much, but I understand why it wouldn't ruin the story if it's only a few minutes.
    Yes I meant Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I'd recommend to pretty much everyone even though the earlier seasons (1 and 2) are a bit hard to get through. Sorry for inadvertently spoiling it I think?

So I understand not liking something on a conceptual level. That's fine. I didn't like a lot of things about Tri part 4 on a conceptual level and you can read more about that in the discussion thread if you're interested. At the end of the day if a concept doesn't appeal to you, then it just doesn't appeal to you and there's nothing wrong with that.

I kind of felt that the whole "everyone having a Digital Monster" concept made me feel included a young audience member. Instead of thinking "if I existed in that fictional world, I really wish I would be Chosen too!" it was much easier to think "if I existed in that fictional world, I would definitely end up with a Digimon sooner or later."

At any rate, I do find it a bit odd that people hyper-focus so much on that one line. It's definitely not just you. I guess a lot of people still have strong feelings about the Adventure 02 epilogue. At the time it was airing, my only strong reaction was "I don't want this to be the end, I really like these characters and I want to see more of their adventures."

Ohh, that makes more sense. Honestly with all these different stories and universes for Digimon I felt more included because then people can make whatever fanmade continuity they want, with themselves as a Digidestined!

A lot of people didn't like what happened in the epilogue because of what jobs the characters took on and which characters got together. And if everyone had a Digimon partner, that would include a lot of dangerous people who might use their partners to do bad deeds.
    I personally agree with why they didn't like it for the most part; Some people could be doing more harm than good with a Digimon, the jobs being kinda random (And possibly sexist, but hopefully I'm wrong), and certain characters getting together for no reason. If these characters get married, it would be better to know why it happened, how they started to like each other, basically how it makes sense and how it would work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234