With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Adventure tri: Part 4 Loss Discussion

Meiko is a... weird addition. Her joining the team feels almost unnaturally rushed (especially since their reaction to the idea of a new compatriot draws focus towards one of the other elephants in the room), especially considering the international chosen children are still canon, but the events of the series and the way she herself reacts to that serve as an interesting balance to that. Her character is among the most generic digimon has ever seen, but the oddities involving her backstory make it at least a little interesting to explore (though the fact other characters never seem to ask questions about it is insane.). Her status as main character equal to the eight is weird, but she actually gets surprisingly little focus so it's hard to complain too much.

Her first appearance did kinda sour me on her, largely because of the bizarre way everyone else reacted to her. Particularly, look at their reaction when they learn that her weird-looking pet animal, which they saw use a special move, was a digimon. They're all so shocked. That has to be the most bizarre moment of Tri for me (Though I guess that if there are other magical monsters bonding to children in this setting that it could be taken for, it would explain why the news never seems to connect any of the monster attacks in the last six years :P)(Close second has to be Meiko and Meicoomon rushing from cover to have a happy reunion right in front of Alphamon.)

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Yeah. Don't forget its special ability in Brave Tamer was that it made you stronger against poop attacks.
    To be fair, that'd actually be a not-terrible ability in the early digimon franchise.

*shudder* So much poop...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMan View Post
    Seriously… I have been looking forward to see the 2nd OVA, but this Meiko character pisses me off so much. She is the most flagrant Mary Sue I’ve seen in a while.
    If you haven't even watched the second movie, then why are you bothering to post in a discussion topic about the 4yh one?

Not to mention that it appears you only created the account today just to rant about a character. Again, in a topic that is for dicussing a movie you haven't even watched yet.

1. Everyone is friend with her just meeting her.
    Perhaps you should watch movie one before you watch movie two to remind yourself that she only was approached by Mimi, Sora, and Takeru; whom are the most likely to interact with anyone new. Jou wasn't even present until the end of the second movie, and even then Meiko didn't have a proper introduction to him.
    2. Out of nowhere, she is envolved in every important event of the plot.
    Well, if she wasn't then you would be complaining she is boring and pointless. The point of having new characters in a series is to drive it forward. Much like we had in 02 with Daisuke and crew. They introduced a new way of evolving. Even though Daisuke and Miyako didn't have much character development. Which goes along with another point i will make in a minute. Ken and Iori were the main focs of the second half of zero two. If Meiko wasn't in the movie, the movie series would just be a slice of life. and since tri. staff isn't going for shipping. It wouldn't even be romance drama. It'd just be drama. Meiko gives a reason for the kids to be back in action without having to have more new characters to learn about. The movies can work to develop each character while slowly giving Meiko the development she needs. Of course she will get some screentime, because she needs that development. Not all the characters in DIgimon already were developed in episode 1 of Adventure, were they? Of course not. It'd be boring to watch the characters make their Digimon evolve with the snap of their fingers. The series would have been finished in 13 episodes if that happened! Plus horribly written.
    3. Her digimon is “special”

Your point? That's the mystery of it. What good would it be if the series was completely predictable? SInce we are older don't we want a good mystery to keep us entertained through all the movies? You don't buy a book and read the ending, do you? What was the point of buying the book in the first place? If Meicoomon was just some regular Digimon, then half of the plot would be gone right there. Again, Meiko and Meicoomon would just be two boring characters that no one knows about. No mystery to them, just there.

4. Has a dark past (or something “weird” or “special” behind)
    Ummmmm. If you made every character that has a dark or special past, that's about every darn DIgimon character. Every character has something in their past that made them who they are. That gave them obstacles to overcome in their adventures in the DIgital World. Those obstacles is what made the characters we know and love today. Of course Meiko is going to have something. It's not some divorce or losing both of your parents in a car crash. But it is something in her past that causes her to be inactive. To be scared to take action. Something that she will need to overcome. Just like the 12 before her.

5. That’s not necessarily about a “Sue”, but is that cliché: dark hair, shrill voice and absurdly shyness. That’s the reason I hate in the past a lot of anime characters.
    You must hate Ken a great deal then... The only thing about Meiko that can even be considered a sue is her name. The way her name is written out in kanji is different. The "ko" part is the same kanji as heart. You don't see that a lot. That's about it. Everything else that people hate about Meiko is in fact she is a new character.

It’s not about being “the new girl”. What I felt with Daisuke & others in 02 is nothing compared to this time.
    I don’t want something I waited for so long to be around a plane OC. I don’t want the precious time of 6 OVAs to be about that annoying, low interesting character to the detriment of the Eight “Golden”.
    Kill her now, please.
    You can't seem to pick between "screen hogger" and "boring character." Meiko isn't a sue. She is a new character with faults, just like everyone else. Faults that need to be overcome and developed. She's scared and shy to make friends and to take action when it's needed. Her fear was so bad that it wouldn't allow her to tell the truth. She realized that and took responsibility for those inactions in part 4. She vowed she won't run away anymore. The next movie poster shows us that her development will go even further with Meicoomon.

Everyone didn't fall in love with her. Just Mimi. =P [s]and myself[/s] So far, I think all the kids have had equal treatment for development and screentime. Not everyone needs to be something in every movie. The kids appear on the poster for a reason. It's their focus. Taichi and Yamato, Mimi and Jou, Takeru and Koushirou and Taichi, Sora, and Yamato.

You may be salty about Daigo, Maki, and Meiko getting screentime, but of course they will. They are new characters, we need to know about them. They have faults too. They need to show change too. I can't wait for the next movie, becaue Hikari and Meiko are the bestest girls. I can't wait to see them show their brave heart.

Digimon Adventure tri. Symbiosis to be released September 30th!! Be there or be square!!
    Hikari! Meiko! Show me your brave heart!!!

Ignoring that neko needs to cool down a bit and not lecture people on why they've signed up for the site as if she was staff (and her habit of flipping out anytime someone says anything negative about any character she likes), she did respond just above me, but I thought I'd write up a response myself.

I'm not sure Ultra knows what a Mary Sue is...

1. Everyone is friend with her just meeting her.
    I mean... this is true of most of the Adventure/02 characters... To a degree this is how a huge chunk of fiction works.

2. Out of nowhere, she is envolved in every important event of the plot.
    That's true of any new main character... I mean... again, this happens to basically 'any' new character introduced in fiction. I mean, that IS why a new character is introduced, to be involved in the plot.

3. Her digimon is “special”.
    Minus minor characters we haven't followed, have we had any Digimon partners in Adventure/02 who AREN'T in some way special?

4. Has a dark past (or something “weird” or “special” behind)
    I mean... you aren't wrong, but again... the entire setup for someone being a Chosen Child tends to be that they have some weird/special/etc interaction with a Digimon. You're also ignoring that the elements around her and Meicoomon are the very elements that are driving forward the plot.

5. That’s not necessarily about a “Sue”, but is that cliché: dark hair, shrill voice and absurdly shyness. That’s the reason I hate in the past a lot of anime characters.
    Man, you must hate anime. Cause a ton of characters have dark hair and are shy. I'm not sure her voice counts as shrill. It's basically a teenage girl voice.

The main issue with most of your 'checkpoints' on her being a Mary Sue is, like I said like a broken record up above... it applies to NEARLY every main character in Adventure/02, and to some degree nearly the entire franchise. And in general it isn't really her being a Mary Sue, but rather you don't like the character and are taking aim at things you see as obvious about her, even though, frankly, a good chunk of them are just parts of the franchise.

As for you complaining she's 'taking time away' from the main characters... I understand you don't like her... but she's a main character in tri... so I'd suggest find a way to deal with it or watch something else, as your enjoyment of the content seems minimal, it might be best to find something else to watch.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Add ShindoW on Facebook Follow ShindoW on DeviantArt Visit ShindoW's Youtube Channel
    I honestly have to agree with Ultra. Meiko was added this movie not just simply as a plot device, but she is a very standard moe style character with an annoying trait (sneezing, which she hasn't even done lately). AKA she was added to make money (although, that can be said about Digimon as a whole..) and I can see if she was added as a way to introduce a "new crowd" to Digimon, but... she doesn't act in that way (asking why this or that, or about Digimon or the Digital World...) [Further, this isn't needed since it's a sequel series... so it comes off even more stale] It's best to think of her as a more minor character--someone mentioned Willis and it's alot like him or Michael--where she's just kinda here for the ride.

I don't hate her and honestly, I don't feel she's taking up that much screen time. Movie 2 was where her scenes were most prominent and detracting, but half that film is filler anyway.
    Check here for latest Yamato/Gabumon news and merchandise!

Well, Although I belong also among people who have not seen all the movies. The reason that I have access to them because making subtitles for the second series, and other anime for my country. But I read all the local discussion. But even so, I can not say I took to Meiko and her Digimon. And I very love cats. But honestly, I am not selected among the first children's favorite characters, I rather in the second party. And I do not have nothing against Meiko as such. Rather, I dislike the development of Tri overall. There's more confusing and bizarre things than Meiko and her involvement.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ShindoW View Post
    Movie 2 was where her scenes were most prominent and detracting, but half that film is filler anyway.
    As someone who really likes Determination, I offer two counterpoints:

a.) What else could the writers / producers have done to establish Meiko's character? I felt like she was more of an accessory or plot device in Reunion than an actual supporting character, so it was important for Determination to give her some spotlight to establish her arc throughout the series.

b.) I would argue that Determination is the most important movie in terms of setup for Confession and Loss because the 'filler' activities of the onsen trip (especially the onsen trip) and the Cultural Festival establishes a lot of plot points that become very significant in later chapters, such as Meiko and Meicoomon's much more strained partnership in comparison to the other eight Chosen, properly introduces Maki to the audience, teases the nature of Daigo and Maki's shared history, and establishes them as foils to both each other as well as the Chosen Children, not to mention all of the allusions to Maki's ulterior motives.

The two Ogremon incidents are about the only events in Determination that I concede are almost pure filler, because how irrelevant those incidents are to the climax of the movie and the bigger picture of the OVA. The fallout of the second attack is more consequential, but the first sequence, where Maki and Daigo's organization try to attack it on its own, is completely useless at advancing the narrative, since none of that ever comes up again.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

I feel many points are rather hyperbolic... "dark hair and shrill voice"? really? That pretty much describes the majority of Japanese girls in general; Shyness is an equally common and sometimes idealized trait, of course sometimes even fetishized (although I don't see that particular problem applying to Meiko that much). OverallI feel that it's illogical to apply labels like "Mary Sue" that usually describe characters that stand out and are super special, to a character who is pretty much designed to be more down to earth than the rest of the characters.
    And it's not like she steals anyone's spotlight (which might even be part of the problem in itself) and seems special for the story solely in the sense that the story repeatedly screws her over in every movie and in more extreme ways every time.

I do think that part 4 has started to handle her character in interesting ways (and I'm not only talking about strangling her). I particularly like the reveal that, after the chosen spent some time being very worried about how she would deal with coming to the digital world, Meiko's upbringing near the mountains made her very well prepared, probably far better than any of the others, to survive in the digital world. That was an example of legitimately good writing that brought significance to her backstory not just to fill in space but that actually affecting the plot and shaping her character in a way you would not guess just from looking at her.
    And she also actually starts to actually confront what her partner is doing when previously she was basically just crying and worrying about it on her own, so her reunion with Meikuumon in Part 4 is also a step up for her, even if it was very much less dramatic than it should have been as Meikuumon's aim with her wind blades being so horrible she was pretty much just standing there awkwardly waving her arms around while Meiko was talking to her without much inconvenience.
    Well, another case of tri attempting drama and then stumbling when it comes to the actual execution. But as I said, they are starting to go somewhere with that.

...also, don't call me Igno.

Shouldn't ENIAC take the role of Yggdrasil in Adventure?

I think Seraphimon and HerakleKabuterimon appearing makes sense to conclude their struggles from the previous movie. Takeru agreed with Patamon fighting again and Koushiro accepted Tentomon's offer of help. The developments do appear rushed and crammed in, though.

Also, I noticed Seraphimon oddly didn't call his attack when the others did.
    Cropped Digimon artwork and recolors/edits based on other official sources. Go ahead and use them for charts or whatever.
    http://s141.photobucket.com/user/smo...icharts/digisp

I find Meiko boring because there is nothing that makes her special. It's hard to explain, but we had so many episodes with previous charaters we know each character has a spesific trait and role within the group. Meiko is just there. Taichi, is the brave leader. Yamato the second in command who butts heads with Taichi and is the bearer of friendship. Sora is like the Mother of the group, Koushiro/Izzy is our tech guy, who is basically the strategist etc. Every member has a designated role, this is mostly due to their crests explaining what they mean to the group, but Meiko IS JUST there. Being a plot device, now I get that is her role, but she has such a boring personality.

It's hard to say that anyone is special when you already have 8 characters that'd had some role in Adventure for the last 17 years. There's also the other four characters from that other series as well. With such a big cast it's going to be natural that anyone new isn't going to feel "special." Because we've seen it all. The roles in my opinion are starting to overlap do to this.

Honestly, I feel like Meiko is like the mom too. Just because she's had to watch Meicoomon all the time and keep her from wandering off. Maki is a bit like Jou in the fact that the kids need to be adults after the reboot and move on. Also that she's had an experience that people were telling her to grow up. Daigo is much like the papa of the group, wanting the kids to be happy and has a goofy personality. heck, Daigo even wears goggles.

We've already seen with the other series where there was fewer kids, that the roles combined somewhat. One was the over active, outspoken, computer geek. Another was a stern kid always trying to do what's right and didn't want to deviate what he was told. The leader was a hyperactive kid with a positive outlook and didn't want to fail his upper classman. The last kid to join was the loner who felt only he could be the one to fix the issues, because he wanted to take responsibility for everything he did.

I know this is a bit off topic, but did Takeru really have a purpose in Adventure other than the crybaby? I mean, he was only useful as the last resort if I remember correctly and Hikari was fully used as the plot device then too.

I'm just relieved the new characters in tri. actually have more of a personality and not used for the sake of plot.

Digimon Adventure tri. Symbiosis to be released September 30th!! Be there or be square!!
    Hikari! Meiko! Show me your brave heart!!!