With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't the dub use the same names/terminology as the sub?

Why doesn't the dub use the same names/terminology as the sub?

I don't see any reasons for changing the names. All it does is create confusion and/or ruin themes, like "Alphamon and Omegamon" (beginning and end) to "Alphamon and Omnimon" (beginning and all) or "Lilithmon" (mother of demons and demon of lust) to "Laylamon" (I don't think this actually has a meaning other than being a typical prostitute's name). It's clear that BoA doesn't really want to change them either since they were told to change the names of the toys for "Daemon" and "Cherubimon" to "Creepymon" and "Kerpymon" respectively, and then changed them back to normal in the shows. I don't see any reason to change these names because in the actual Japanese (even the written names on toys and books) they just use English words spelled with the Japanese Hiragana (their alphabet).

With the terminology, I somewhat understand why they changed the names of the levels to focus less on life and more about fighting (since that's what the kids liked) but I always thought the main theme was something to do with bonding and growing up or something. And what was the point of making the name of the penultimate level the same as the Japanese name for the final level? Furthermore, what was their obsession with the prefix "digi-"? It seems like they just wanted to stick it in front of everything and all it did was become obnoxious and cliché.

Anyways, enough ranting, I want to hear why you think was the reason for renaming everything. I think for certain names ("Sleipmon" to "Kentaurosmon" or "Duftmon" to "Leopardmon") they just wanted to make them easier to remember since most kids don't understand what "sleip" or "duft" mean, and for some ("Chimeramon" to "Kimeramon" or "Diablomon" to "Diaboromon") they just wanted names that sounded catchier. For some other examples though ("Piyomon" to "Biyomon" or all the stuff from the first paragraph), I have no clue.

For the human names I understand they just wanted to make sure kids would be able to pronounce or remember them.
    Last edited by TMS; 01-29-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    キーモン:ブラストモード
    (Kiimon Blast Mode)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    All of the Ps and Bs they mixed up were probably just translation errors (misreading diacritical marks). I'd be interested in seeing how many of the names were changed by order of Bandai of Japan and Toei and how many were changed on the American side. I don't really see the point behind either.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by H A K A S E View Post
    I don't see any reasons for changing the names. All it does is create confusion and/or ruin themes, like "Alphamon and Omegamon" (beginning and end) to "Alphamon and Omnimon" (beginning and all)
    I'm almost positive that Alphamon came out well after the Digimon movie was dubbed so its not like the localization team knew of that theme name. And outside of that theme naming Omnimon makes more sense.

It's clear that BoA doesn't really want to change them either since they were told to change the names of the toys for "Daemon" and "Cherubimon" to "Creepymon" and "Kerpymon" respectively, and then changed them back to normal in the shows.
    Except BoA makes the localization choices and the dubbers have to follow. (Though they dont always) it was BoA that came up with Creepymon and Kerpymon. The dub corrected them as Daemon and Cherubimon (though that wasnt until Frontier)

Saying BoA doesnt want to change them is wrong they change them way more often than the dub (see Darkmon and Teddymon)

. And what was the point of making the name of the penultimate level the same as the Japanese name for the final level?
    The Ultimate level came later. When BoA localized the V-pets there was no level beyond Perfect. So BoA went with Ultimate. THEN Japan introduced the new Ultimate level (that is the level beyond perfect) in the pendulum series.

Furthermore, what was their obsession with the prefix "digi-"? It seems like they just wanted to stick it in front of everything and all it did was become obnoxious and cliché.
    Branding.

("Chimeramon" to "Kimeramon" or "Diablomon" to "Diaboromon") they just wanted names that sound catchier. For some other examples though ("Piyomon" to "Biyomon" or all the stuff from the first paragraph), I have no clue.
    Those were all transliteration errors by the localization team. Not an attempt to sound catchier. The L and R are interchangeable in Japanese. So Diaboromon is technically correct when translated from Japanese but not intended and the localization team just didnt catch it on. Same reason Apocalymon is Apokarimon in the card game but at least Saban caught that one for the show

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    @Don'tStopPataPata: I think that that HAKASE is using the term "dub" the way I do, to refer to all American material. Hence the names used by Bandai of America are "dub names" that may or may not have been dictated to them by Bandai of Japan.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

To reiterate what I've said before, at least in the case of Bandai of America, it was the normal mode of operation to use whatever dub name Bandai of Japan told them to use unless there was some really compelling reason otherwise. There have been a few cases of censorship for reasons of religious concern; for example, I know that Satan Mode was one such case, and I suspect Demon may have been one too. Incidentally for several years, BoA was very receptive to using the dub names we asked them to use.

But in general, don't ask why BoA changed the name, ask why BoJ changed the name. And the answer is probably that the guy giving BoA dub names didn't know what the names were 'supposed' to be half the time, so he just gave them his best guess.
    Last edited by Shining Celebi; 01-29-2017 at 02:12 PM.

As I understand it, three reasons.

1) Japanese and English are pretty different languages, with a very different rhythm to the way they are spoken. Some names (they don't even neccesarily need to be japanese names) which sound great when spoken by Japanese just don't scan all that well when you have native english speakers pronounce them. I'm guessing that's why Omegamon got changed into omnimon, and why vritramon got changed to BurningGreymon. In other cases, a name may be too Japanese, and just come off as a slurred garble of random vowels if you don't have the linguistic or cultural background to make sense of them, which most of the target audience wouldn't. Hence, Qinglongmon becoming Azulongmon. The opposite of this is that a name that comes off as new and hip in Japanese may come off as too obvious and on-the-nose in English. Especially if the name actually is in English. See; Fairymon becoming kazemon.
    2) Whoops.
    3) There's a lot of names that US viewers' parents and moral guardians might not be entirely comfortable with. Keep in mind that when Digimon first started getting translated, the tail end of the the bizarre Moral Panic regarding supposed Satanic Ritual Abuse was still going on. Even dungeons and dragons renamed its demons and toned them down in advertising, and that was a game meant for a much older demographic. Using all these demonic names in a show meant for kids? Well, obviously that meant you were trying to teach the youth of America that sacrificing babies for power is the right thing to do and thus every responsible parent should be trying to get the product banned. The entire thing was pretty stupid, and while some remnants would remain for a while longer, it roughly tapered off by the time Digimon Adventure started airing.

I still like the theory that Piyomon and Pukamon were changed because little English-speaking kids would laugh at names that started with "Pee" and "Poo".

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    I'm almost positive that Alphamon came out well after the Digimon movie was dubbed so its not like the localization team knew of that theme name. And outside of that theme naming Omnimon makes more sense.
    You're right, Alphamon debuted in X-Evolution I think and Omnimon makes more sense logically, but Omegamon sounds way cooler (in my opinion and probably many more) and also makes a lot of sense on its own.

Those were all transliteration errors by the localization team. Not an attempt to sound catchier. The L and R are interchangeable in Japanese. So Diaboromon is technically correct when translated from Japanese but not intended and the localization team just didnt catch it on. Same reason Apocalymon is Apokarimon in the card game but at least Saban caught that one for the show
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Especially if the name actually is in English. See; Fairymon becoming kazemon.
    That makes a lot of sense, but Pinocchimon and Piccolomon being changed to Puppetmon and Pixiemon are the exact opposite of that and they sound pretty normal in English pronunciation.
    Last edited by TMS; 01-29-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    キーモン:ブラストモード
    (Kiimon Blast Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by H A K A S E View Post
    Especially if the name actually is in English. See; Fairymon becoming kazemon.
    That makes a lot of sense, but Pinocchimon and Piccolomon being changed to Puppetmon and Pixiemon are the exact opposite of that and they sound pretty normal in English pronunciation.
    Hrm, didn't really think about those...

If I were to take a wild guess, mayhaps it was similarity in names to unrelated characters from other franchises? (It's not like anyone remembers the non-disney version of Pinocchio.)

Completely digital
    Piccolomon makes me think of the DBZ character. I think Bandai was the toy licensee for DBZ so maybe that's why. Or maybe they changed his name because he is a Pixie not an instrument. I mean it's a change I completely understand.

As for Pinocchiomon to Puppetmon? I have no clue. Maybe the localization team didn't want kids confusing him with a beloved Disney character (even though Pinocchio is a public domain character) maybe it was a BoJ thing.
    Last edited by DontStopPataPata; 01-29-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast