With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: Why doesn't the dub use the same names/terminology as the sub?

  1. #71
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    1,419
    Sounds like you're just now realizing why a lot of people on this forum prefer just to use the Japanese names (and their natural etymologies) for consistency. Doesn't seem to help no matter which you prefer though...

  2. #72
    Super Moderator TMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9,875
    Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Wasn't Goblimon always called that in the dub of the anime? I know that anime dub names and Bandai of America names are sort of separate, though.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

  3. #73
    I'm a Maniac Chimera-gui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    144
    Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Wasn't Goblimon always called that in the dub of the anime? I know that anime dub names and Bandai of America names are sort of separate, though.
    The name Goblimon is used in the dub of both Tamers and Frontier I believe which were also the first times the species appeared in the anime.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

  4. #74
    I'm a Maniac Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    23
    Posts
    100
    Visit Muur's Xbox Live Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Sounds like you're just now realizing why a lot of people on this forum prefer just to use the Japanese names (and their natural etymologies) for consistency. Doesn't seem to help no matter which you prefer though...
    Oh I know why people do prefer that - if they watch the sub version. I watch anything I possibly can in dub, so like anyone else just go with what's familiar. However I do think if they watch both the sub/dub and game, then they should go with what is more used, which is likely to be their dub name. People can of course go with what they want but a lot just seem to use Japanese names even when doing the English version just for elitism. Not you guys though but you know what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Wasn't Goblimon always called that in the dub of the anime? I know that anime dub names and Bandai of America names are sort of separate, though.
    Possibly, I think he used that name in Data Squad at least in the final episode. Anime seemed to go with different names to games at times which I found odd but for me, game names superceade anime names as there are more of them. We wound up back with Goburimon on World Dawn/Dusk right after Data Squad but I saw it as a one off due to that but then they just yoloed it and made it his game name too. At least it's consient in Goblimon now I guess? I'll just always go with Goburimon cuz 20 years.

  5. #75
    I'm going digital Takeshi55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    507
    Goblimon is known as Goburimon in every game (that I'm aware of) from Digimon Story on.

  6. #76
    Super Moderator TMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9,875
    Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Muur gave examples earlier of dub games where it was called Goblimon, such as All-Star Rumble.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

  7. #77
    I'm a Maniac Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    23
    Posts
    100
    Visit Muur's Xbox Live Profile
    DS, Dawn, Dusk, Championship had Goburimon. Then we had that break of nothing dub wise until we got All-Star Rumble in 2014. (6 years) That's when they went for Goblimon. Probably a different translation team from the older games.

    After that we got Cyber Sleuth and Next Order - he's Gobimon in both. All games since we started getting them again are that name.

    Same with Samudramon, he was Gaiomon in Dawn/Dusk etc but come CS - he's Samudramon. (Although that change came in Fusion first)
    Last edited by Muur; 02-27-2017 at 05:13 PM.

  8. #78
    I'm going digital Takeshi55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    DS, Dawn, Dusk, Championship had Goburimon. Then we had that break of nothing dub wise until we got All-Star Rumble in 2014. (6 years) That's when they went for Goblimon. Probably a different translation team from the older games.

    After that we got Cyber Sleuth and Next Order - he's Gobimon in both. All games since we started getting them again are that name.

    Same with Samudramon, he was Gaiomon in Dawn/Dusk etc but come CS - he's Samudramon. (Although that change came in Fusion first)
    He's Gaiomon in CS and is known as Samudramon in NO.

    So Goblimon has 3 names now?

  9. #79
    I'm a Maniac Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    23
    Posts
    100
    Visit Muur's Xbox Live Profile
    What's the third name? we have Goburimon and Goblimon.

  10. #80
    I'm a Maniac Chimera-gui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    144
    Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    What's the third name? we have Goburimon and Goblimon.
    You misspelled Goblimon.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •