With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Does the Lack of Armor and Spirit Evolutions Bug You?

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Games have had Armor in before - World DS, Dawn, Dusk, Sleuth, even Order but other than Order (where they're Champion, Ultimate or Mega) they always just end at Armor meaning unless yo uwant nostalgia from the show, you're limiting how strong your Digimon can be.
    That part's not true at all, actually. Armor Digimon can evolve in lots of games they show up in (Digimon World 2, Sunburst/Moonlight, Lost Evolution, etc.), and they're usually given levels in the context of those games.
    Yeah but then that just means they've been retconned for those specific games, so just do it forever.
    That's not at all how Digimon works and you know that. There are very few rules that expand to the Digimon meta-franchise overall. Having a standard like that would be boring.

The best thing to do is to give Armor Digimon levels in the context of each game, usually equating them with the Adult level. There are many instances, for example, in which a Child Digimon evolves into an Armor Digimon naturally as an "Adult" level. I believe Drimogemon, an Adult, evolves into Digmon in Savers (possibly in an example of slide evolution but we all know that evolution in Digimon doesn't have to necessarily mean moving up). This could also mean that this Digmon was comparable to a Perfect level Digimon, though.

So no, let's not have a set standard for every single bit of Digimon media out there that goes so far as to give Armor Digimon a specific level ALL THE TIME.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    That's not at all how Digimon works and you know that. There are very few rules that expand to the Digimon meta-franchise overall. Having a standard like that would be boring.
    Unfortunately, that's the problem: The fact that there are so few rules at the meta-level means that ideas will be created for one series and then dropped immediately. And while I do think that sticking to just the traditional six levels is lazy and runs the risk of becoming stale, there are instances where there's no other option.

For example, the Fusion-verse Digimon should have Levels since Shademon and Luminamon both have Levels despite being from the same generation. Yes, Fusion's universe omitted Levels and Attributes but there's no reason why the Digimon couldn't have them outside of Fusion.

Mind you, I don't think Armor should be retconned and that Hybrid should only be partially retconned but I do think it's possible to apply some rules to both without it becoming boring if it's done smartly and doesn't hinder creativity. Tabletop RPGs for example have set rules but leave enough room for players to be creative in making campaigns and I do think that this can be done with Digimon.

I do agree that context is absolutely necessary for this. I don't know if you read my first post in this thread but there was a reason for the rules I suggested for Armor and Hybrid.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 03-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456