With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Hidden Sound Files In Digital Monster Ver. S: Digimon Tamers

Hidden Sound Files In Digital Monster Ver. S: Digimon Tamers

Hey guys, so I got the game over the weekend and decided to do some digging in the game files. While I couldn't find anything worth talking about except there are two files called "ENDING01.BIN" and "ENDING02.BIN" kinda giving one the impression there are 2 endings or maybe one file is used for the "ending" and the other is for the credits meanwhile there is a BIN file for pretty much everything like shop, training, mail, etc. I'll come back later when I figure things out and do more digging.

As for the the whole point of this topic, I found some interesting sound files that aren't in the game at all. The first you'll hear is obviously a warning saying something along the lines of "THis is a Sega Saturn Disc". A lot of these sound like Digimon cries from Digimon World 1 and other sounds used in the PS1 era games. There are other sounds I dont recognize at all. There are 3 music tracks that I have no idea where they are but I really like the first one. The second music track is a shorten version of the first and the last one is what I thought would be used for the credits but as I searched on YouTube the credits is silent.

Headphone users BEWARE, there are a few loud noises.

I come from the net viperzerof-2's Avatar
    Very cool! Ver.s came out not too long before digimon world one came out so I'm not stunned if some sound is the same. I love Ver.s and have been trying to explore it for years. any nice finds with videos and sprites?

Junior Commander
    woah, nice finding

Quote Originally Posted by viperzerof-2 View Post
    any nice finds with videos and sprites?
    No not yet. There are a lot of "monster" files but Im currently trying to learn more info about Sega Saturn files so I can probably get them with a third party software as how I got the sound files. I was expecting to find BGM files but instead I found these! Im very interested in art work and sprites because those are what interest me the most. As for videos, I dont think the game has any FMVs (or not any that Im aware of).

Junior Commander
    It certainly doesn't have FMV. One obvious thing is bcos the game's size is not above 100MB.

I've tried a few times over the years to look at the sprite and artwork. I'm not great at it. I can make out the shapes of the sprites but I can never really get the color palette right. Still if you ever want to talk about ver.s, I'd love too.

Quote Originally Posted by viperzerof-2 View Post
    I've tried a few times over the years to look at the sprite and artwork. I'm not great at it. I can make out the shapes of the sprites but I can never really get the color palette right. Still if you ever want to talk about ver.s, I'd love too.
    Sure, we'll chat later ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    It certainly doesn't have FMV. One obvious thing is bcos the game's size is not above 100MB.
    Actually, yes it is. It is 131MB. Size is irrelevant though like the game Vagrant Story has a FMV while it is under 70MB. Im very interested in what else the game could possibly be hiding in the files and how much the game actually uses.

I think you were able to get those sounds quite easily since the saturn has a few different options for storing audio, for streamed audio a big one was (since the console id disc based) to simply encode it as normal CD tracks, which is what those tracks probably are, and I assume you would hear the first "warning" one if you put the disc in an actual CD player.
    The rest of the audio won't be that easy though. Like many consoles from those generations most of the soundtrack is probably saved in some esoteric midi-like sequencing format that also depends on specific sound banks being present, that's not something you can just rip very easily. Even the process to rip PSF (the playstation analogue for sequenced tracks) is fairly involved and requires knowledge of assembly, for a comparatively niche console like the Saturn... I'd expect useful tools or guides to be quite sparse.
    With the sprites it should be about the same... even a guide on how to decode the files for some Saturn game might not apply other games and who knows what specific encoding and palette settings Bandai actually used back then. Nevertheless ripping sprites and such is usually one of the easier tasks but most of the time digging into the game's file system is not the way to do it. Most rips from saturn games seem to rely on the old school methods of isolating specific layers and then cutting stuff out from screenshot, or alternatively grabbing sprites and other visuals directly from the vram. That relies on the things you want actually being shown on the screen but that still tends to be more efficient than screwing around with raw bitmap data and in many cases the game can still be made to load assets that "should" be cut by messing with memory values.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikou View Post
    The second music track is a shorten version of the first and the last one is what I thought would be used for the credits but as I searched on YouTube the credits is silent.
    I wouldn't really trust much of what you see on youtube, in many cases it might be recorded from outdated or misconfigured emulators so it's possible there should be sound there but isn't because of technical issues.

...also, don't call me Igno.

One real nice thing about Ver.s is the Sprites and media are not in a central archive, the files are out in the open.