With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Questions regarding episode 23 of Zero Two

Completely digital

Questions regarding episode 23 of Zero Two

Just finished rewatcbing it. Great episode, I liked that instead of taking the easy route of making Ken's older brother a saint or a raging a-holebut their relationship was a lot more complex. Still, I have a few questions.

Was the dark spore a retcon? The episode seemed to heavily suggest that the dark ocean mixed with Ken's emotions turned him evil I think the Japanese version is even titled "When the digivice is dyed in darkness"

What was Ken chosen for? The original
    8 were chosen to stop the thing causing the distortions. Daisuke, Miyako, and Iori were chosen to stop the Kaiser and the greater evils behind it. But Ken just seemed kind of chosen at random. (Also despite the Wonderswan games which contradict the series and vice versa anyways, I'm guessing Ken saw the battle with Apocalymon) Like I suppose he and Ryo were chosen to stop
    Milleniummon but I would think the old 8 could have done that?

Could Wormmon evolve? As the Kaiser he didn't seem to think he could but he might have been forgotten.

Was Ken's trip to the village of beginnings at least partially in his head? Baby Digimon haven't been able to talk before and it seems unlikely they would know he is the Kaiser even if they retained their memories and were Digimon killed by Chimeramon.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Was the dark spore a retcon?
    Since tag tamers was released months before this episode... probably not.
    The episode seemed to heavily suggest that the dark ocean mixed with Ken's emotions turned him evil I think the Japanese version is even titled "When the digivice is dyed in darkness"
    Both of these things can be factors.

Like I suppose he and Ryo were chosen to stop
    Milleniummon but I would think the old 8 could have done that?
    Well, they tried at least calling some of the original 8. Taichi was present in tag tamers he just got petrified for most of the game.

Was Ken's trip to the village of beginnings at least partially in his head? Baby Digimon haven't been able to talk before and it seems unlikely they would know he is the Kaiser even if they retained their memories and were Digimon killed by Chimeramon.
    It's not like they had many chances to talk before... and I don't think it's an issue of memories. The Village of beginnings is simply an important place in the digital world and with the Kaiser having been a big threat to the world for the last few months, so whoever was taking care of the babies at that time (Elecmon maybe) would have logically told them to beware of the Kaiser, or humans with blue hair in general.
    Last edited by Theigno; 12-19-2016 at 12:04 PM.

...also, don't call me Igno.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    Was the dark spore a retcon? The episode seemed to heavily suggest that the dark ocean mixed with Ken's emotions turned him evil I think the Japanese version is even titled "When the digivice is dyed in darkness"
    Retcon might be too strong a word, since Ken is shown to take the bullet (so to speak) for Ryo, but because we don't know how significant the Dark Seed is until much later in Zero Two, I think your reading of the episode is a legitimate one.

What was Ken chosen for? The original 8 were chosen to stop the thing causing the distortions. Daisuke, Miyako, and Iori were chosen to stop the Kaiser and the greater evils behind it. But Ken just seemed kind of chosen at random. (Also despite the Wonderswan games which contradict the series and vice versa anyways, I'm guessing Ken saw the battle with Apocalymon) Like I suppose he and Ryo were chosen to stop Milleniummon but I would think the old 8 could have done that?
    I've never played any of the Wonderswan games, but my understanding of why Ryo and Ken were recruited to defeat Millenniumon in Tag Tamers was because Taichi is turned to stone by Mille (as depicted in Ajora's translation). There's no mention in the script that the other Chosen Children have been incapacitated similarly, though. But regardless of that, it seems that they're the next kids up in the event that the original 8 were incapcitated or unavailable.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Since tag tamers was released months before this episode... probably not.
    Tag Tamers which had already contradicted anime canon by saying Ken and Ryo saw the fight with Diablomon together so...

The episode seemed to heavily suggest that the dark ocean mixed with Ken's emotions turned him evil I think the Japanese version is even titled "When the digivice is dyed in darkness"
    Both of these things can be factors.

It's not like they had many chances to talk before...
    Except you know when Takeru and Patamon first visited the village of beginnings in Adventure, when Taichi and Hikari first met Botamon in 95, when Tentomon devolved all the way to Pabumon in Vademon's galaxy, when Patamon was in Poyomon form for an entire episode.
    Except all those times you mean.

) would have logically told them to beware of the Kaiser, or humans with blue hair in general.
    Sucks for Jou then.

The kids didn't recognize Ken as the Kaiser and we're suppose to believe newborn Digimon can?