With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is FIle Island?

How big is FIle Island?

Im building a 1:1 scale replica in 3D, I will be posting my progress as I go. I must know, what is the estimated length and width according to this picture?
    #Image credit to its author on devianart

http://orig11.deviantart.net/be10/f/...ai-d6tufjc.png

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    There's really no way of knowing, particularly since the map is rather stylized. It might be better (though hardly simple) to take an official map of the island as it appears in Adventure and try to figure out how much ground the Chosen Children were able to cover on foot in a day, taking into account where they stopped, etc.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ah, thats cool, Iv already started working on a forest near Mt. Infinity.
    So far>#:
    http://imgur.com/yOIeS57

If anyone is good with 3D models that will be a help xD

Damn, that looks great so far! What are you using to make it?

I agree that using some fan made map might not be the best idea... especially since there are random additions like "yggdrasil glade" and "leomon cliffs" that aren't even canon at all.
    There's also the question if you want your file island to be based on the anime or the games since it's not really the same. But maybe the anime can still be used as a guide to scale but I would recommend starting from the big scale: We have an image of the digital world's globe in episode 19 and then a zoomed in map on on part of the continent that also shows file island (it's too small to show up on the globe it seems) in episode 14. We know that the digital world is exactly is big as earth so you overlay the two maps, and correct for curvature it should be possible to calculate the size of the vaguely Italy shaped outcropping of server continent and from that deducing the size of file island from the other map.

Also, good luck on a project as big as that. I'm not sure if you are really doing that but you should ook into random terrain generation, because except in key locations you probably wouldn't want to place every tree and rock by hand.
    Last edited by Theigno; 12-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    Damn, that looks great so far! What are you using to make it?
    Thanks, I am using Unity Engine 5

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    I agree that using some fan made map might not be the best idea... especially since there are random additions like "yggdrasil glade" and "leomon cliffs" that aren't even canon at all.
    There's also the question if you want your file island to be based on the anime or the games since it's not really the same. But maybe the anime can still be used as a guide to scale but I would recommend starting from the big scale: We have an image of the digital world's globe in episode 19 and then a zoomed in map on on part of the continent that also shows file island (it's too small to show up on the globe it seems) in episode 14. We know that the digital world is exactly is big as earth so you overlay the two maps, and correct for curvature it should be possible to calculate the size of the vaguely Italy shaped outcropping of server continent and from that deducing the size of file island from the other map.

Also, good luck on a project as big as that. I'm not sure if you are really doing that but you should ook into random terrain generation, because except in key locations you probably wouldn't want to place every tree and rock by hand.
    Thanks, I took a further look and am somewhat curious. I believe Adventure S01 was based on the Digimon World 1 Map or vice versa, in terms of general locations.
    Procedural generation is a good thought.

I had gone ahead and made the map 4kilometers by 4 kilometers, which has slowed down my laptop a ton xD

Here is a picture of the terrain in a body of water.
    http://imgur.com/a/vM2bx

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    File Island has appeared in a number of different media, and though there are some similarities between the different versions they aren't quite the same. The Village of Beginnings looks completely different in Digimon World than it does in Adventure, for example.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

If you're taking a vote, I say hodgepodge all versions together to create the most jam-packed File Island Unity map ever!

Whose to say that the Village of Beginnings doesn't just have two different looking areas to it that you can't see both parts of because the other part is just off screen! (Like Wallace).

If you do that, you must take into account the one from World 1, the one from Adventure, the one from Digital Monsters Ver. S (the original one), the one from Card Battle (the original jap game, not the one they dubbed Card Battle, but is named Card Arena in Japan) and the one from World 2. And then the "updated" versions of the File Island in ReDigitize/Decode, Crusader (Heroes) and -next 0rder-.

I have been watching the anime and worked out they started off on the south part of the map, not too far from coral beach.
    Either in South Native Forest or Beetleland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast