With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: The Not-So-Perfect Partner Digimon Determining Chart

  1. #21
    Junior Commander AliceKaninchenbau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mystery Land
    Posts
    204
    Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel Add AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperordramon View Post
    I'm just wondering why it's so uneven. One has 12 to choose, while another only has 5, two of which are pretty much the same one.
    That's a result of two things. While I was classifying the Digimon into elements, I wasn't looking at what their attributes were. All I was doing was looking at which element group they should go into while trying to balance everything to make sure one element wouldn't end up with too many Digimon. Thus I only noticed how unbalanced the chart was when I finally started putting the final chart together. I had already decided that I'd just convert the Digimon's attributes into the moral alignments and I can't really do anything about the fact that the attributes are already very unbalanced. Among these 102 Digimon, there's 31 Vaccines, 34 Viruses, 25 Data and 12 others. I did try to fix this by placing most of the 12 others into Data, but even after that there were 35 Chaotic Digimon, 33 Neutral and 34 Lawful.

    So yeah, needless to say, this chart is far from perfect (hence the title of the thread). I did try to compensate for the lack of balance, but in the end most of it is just result of how there aren't that many Digimon that fit into the specific groups here, while there are plenty more of others. There just aren't many water-themed Vaccine Digimon, I mean Penmon is a Wind Guardian so it could be placed into the Air group, while the Snow Agumon aren't even water themed. That really does leave us with just two purely water themed, Child Level Vaccine Digimon. Fire Lawful here has a similar situation, because if you take out Agumon Hakase, Agumon 2006 and Clear Agumon, there's only four fire themed Vaccines here. And like I mentioned earlier, we have only five purely plant themed Digimon, with no Vaccines and just one Virus.

    I mean as far as I'm concerned, the best way to fix this issue would be to have Bandai give us more Child Level Digimon with these specific themes to even thing out, I mean 102 Digimon obviously isn't enough xD But yeah, I'm sorry it's so uneven

  2. #22
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,111
    Thanks, it was nice hearing how much work you put into this. I think your method worked pretty well, but obviously you came up with some new ideas just reviewing how you made it. It'd be cool to see you put those slight changes in and at least start balancing it the numbers a little better.

    It is kind of interesting to me that there wasn't really any kind of actual personality-based reasons for dividing up the digimon how you did, though. Just alignment and elemental division. That's just how personality tests work I guess.

  3. #23
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    126
    Neutral Fire, I can dig it, I like dog type and fox type digimon. Dorumon would be awesome.

    i'd imagine that with personality tests, it'd be difficult to do unless you know the nature of each and every type of digimon D:. It's like sorting digimon into mbti or finding that great group of friends with the perfect personality type

  4. #24
    Junior Commander AliceKaninchenbau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mystery Land
    Posts
    204
    Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel Add AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt
    Actually you can find out the personalities of quite a few Child Level Digimon because they're often described in their Reference Book Entries, and I probably would use them to my advantage if I wanted to go any deeper into figuring out people's partners. As of now though quite many of these Digimon seem to lack Reference Book Entries, or they just haven't been translated (and posted on Wikimon), and while I should be able to translate those entries myself if I ever needed, doing that is still incredibly time consuming and I do prefer translations from people who're more fluent at Japanese than I am, which is why I didn't go that far with this chart. Figuring out what element each of these 102 Digimon should represent was time consuming enough, translating, reading and analyzing their Entries while trying to figure out a way to classify all of these Digimon would take forever

    Probably the easiest way to further develop this chart would be to try and get roughly the same amount of Digimon to each slot on the chart (which isn't possible because 102/12=8,5), somewhere around 9 Digimon. Because if I did that, all I would have to do is figure out a way, anything from a single 9 answer question to a short personality test, to determine a person's partner. All the moral alignment and zodiac sign do is narrow down a person's options after all, so if I just had that single final test with 9 answers, all I'd have to do is switch out the answers depending on which chart slot a person were narrowed down to beforehand. I mean, doing one huge test with a 102 different outcomes would be an absolute nightmare to pull off, but this would actually seem doable. (And yup, those Reference Book Entries would play a part in this)

    I would argue that translating attributes into moral alignments is a personality based reason. Vaccines are described as being law-abiding good Digimon, Data as generally speaking peaceful and Viruses as evil. So, IDK, it makes sense in my mind if a person whose moral alignment is Lawful (something) ended up with a Vaccine partner, same with Neutral -> Data and Chaotic -> Virus. Unless you meant personality more in the "what kind of emotions does this person express often" kinda way Ukyouluvr, not in the "what would this person do if something bad happened" kinda way. If that's what you meant then I'll just shush myself xD

  5. #25
    Completely digital Kotekuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    No need to apologize, Alice. I think it's a great chart. Your methodology and judgement calls seem sound to me. To serve in evening things out here are a few tweaks that could be made:

    1.) Move Tinkermon to Wind. It hasn't been in any fields but being a fairy like the Wind spirit, Fairymon, sets precedent.
    2.) Move Wormon to Nuetral. It's been virus. It's been vaccine. It's been free. I think that averages to the nuetral category. That would give 34 in each set.
    3.) Separate the plant digimon and move Alraumon to Wind. I don't think any recolors should occupy the same position on the grid as it's orignal counterpart. It makes things more interesting to see them separate- otherwise what's the point of having an alternate version, right? Many plant digimon are Wind Guardians so it makes sense for at least a couple to make it over in that category. Maybe Mushroomon. I mean, how much water does a Fungus need?
    4.) EbiBurgermon... water perhaps?

    Well in any case good job!

    My partner would be from Nuetral Fire. I choose Kotemon. I'm happy with it though I'd prefer Bearmon.
    My new and improved Digimon index!
    https://airtable.com/shr2CxL7m74ltmu...NVr6raDlOIMJae
    If you take a look, let me know what you think!

  6. #26
    Completely digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Age
    19
    Posts
    742
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel Add SuperStarlite on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotekuma View Post

    My partner would be from Nuetral Fire. I choose Kotemon. I'm happy with it though I'd prefer Bearmon.
    I got Lawful Earth, I'll trade you.

  7. #27
    Completely digital Kotekuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    thats not how it works. your partner digimon is forever.
    My new and improved Digimon index!
    https://airtable.com/shr2CxL7m74ltmu...NVr6raDlOIMJae
    If you take a look, let me know what you think!

  8. #28
    Completely digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Age
    19
    Posts
    742
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel Add SuperStarlite on DeviantArt
    I know, it's a joke. Besides, I chose Labramon so I can get Plutomon.

  9. #29
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceKaninchenbau View Post
    Actually you can find out the personalities of quite a few Child Level Digimon because they're often described in their Reference Book Entries, and I probably would use them to my advantage if I wanted to go any deeper into figuring out people's partners. As of now though quite many of these Digimon seem to lack Reference Book Entries, or they just haven't been translated (and posted on Wikimon), and while I should be able to translate those entries myself if I ever needed, doing that is still incredibly time consuming and I do prefer translations from people who're more fluent at Japanese than I am, which is why I didn't go that far with this chart. Figuring out what element each of these 102 Digimon should represent was time consuming enough, translating, reading and analyzing their Entries while trying to figure out a way to classify all of these Digimon would take forever

    Probably the easiest way to further develop this chart would be to try and get roughly the same amount of Digimon to each slot on the chart (which isn't possible because 102/12=8,5), somewhere around 9 Digimon. Because if I did that, all I would have to do is figure out a way, anything from a single 9 answer question to a short personality test, to determine a person's partner. All the moral alignment and zodiac sign do is narrow down a person's options after all, so if I just had that single final test with 9 answers, all I'd have to do is switch out the answers depending on which chart slot a person were narrowed down to beforehand. I mean, doing one huge test with a 102 different outcomes would be an absolute nightmare to pull off, but this would actually seem doable. (And yup, those Reference Book Entries would play a part in this)

    I would argue that translating attributes into moral alignments is a personality based reason. Vaccines are described as being law-abiding good Digimon, Data as generally speaking peaceful and Viruses as evil. So, IDK, it makes sense in my mind if a person whose moral alignment is Lawful (something) ended up with a Vaccine partner, same with Neutral -> Data and Chaotic -> Virus. Unless you meant personality more in the "what kind of emotions does this person express often" kinda way Ukyouluvr, not in the "what would this person do if something bad happened" kinda way. If that's what you meant then I'll just shush myself xD
    YEESSSS, I don't like how viruses are just considered "evil" because that implies that something is created evil, which is pretty unfair. I like the reference of lawful, neutral and chaotic. Just because someone can be bad...but not evil xD

  10. #30
    Completely digital Kotekuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by vipertongn View Post
    YEESSSS, I don't like how viruses are just considered "evil" because that implies that something is created evil, which is pretty unfair. I like the reference of lawful, neutral and chaotic. Just because someone can be bad...but not evil xD
    I don't mind the generalization the viruses are mostly evil. When it comes to digimon, they are just packages of data. I'm fine thinkng that their morality can be programed. I you are thinking of Digimon as if they are humans. Digimon like Myotismon I believe are indeed created evil.
    ___________________
    It's easy to equate Vaccine, Data, Virus to Good, Neutral and Evil but we see that directly disputed in Digimon Adventure. Equate it to Lawful/Chaotic is a step in a better direction but is still flawed. Myotismon, a virus, is evil. But is it chaotic? I see it as this: A Vaccine digimon must be good, lawful or both. A virus digimon must be evil, chaotic, or both. And a data digimon must be neutral in some way. If we don't consider attribute other than the main three, that means that only Vaccine Digimon can be Lawful Good. But a Virus digimon such as Guilmon can be (chaotic) good. Only Virus digimon can be Chaotic Evil. Only Data Digimon can be true neutral.

    (The label may not fit well, but for the purpose of this chart, I think it is fine. A partner doesn't have to be chaotic just because the tamer is.)
    My new and improved Digimon index!
    https://airtable.com/shr2CxL7m74ltmu...NVr6raDlOIMJae
    If you take a look, let me know what you think!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •