With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Not-So-Perfect Partner Digimon Determining Chart

I got Chaotic Air, and all those guys are real cuties, but Funbeemon is the cutest. Also, I was just thinking to myself last night how Vaccine/Data/Virus could correspond well to Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic 👀

Neutral Earth or Lawful Earth. I'm a huge fan of puppy digimon, and both of those give me that option. Neutral Earth even gives me Gaomon, my personal favorite. Hmm... seems like a good test so far!

Needs more Appmon so that Roleplaymon can be my partner.

I'm actually quite curious how you divided up the partners by element? I mean, some have obvious Fire/Water/etc elements that you used. But for example, why are the plants "Water" or the bugs "Earth"? What about the less-obviously elemental ones like Kudamon?
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 10-26-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    There is some precedent for giving dark and holy Digimon the Air element, since that's what most of their attacks were classified as in the early Digimon World games.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

To be clear, I'm not arguing with the classification, I'm just curious about the methodology used. I like hearing the explanation for why people classify things the way they do.
    Last edited by Jay Ukyou; 10-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.

I come from the net
    So I'm a Lawful Air. Good little selection of partners, I dig this idea of yours. It's really fun!

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    I'm Chaotic Water, and I must say I like the options. I've always had a thing for Keramon, and now I've also got Betamon and SnowGoblimon as options. Gizamon is okay-ish, but I'm already torn between my first love Keramon, and the icy SnowGoblimon. Otamamon and Syakomon are not really partner material in my book, and I've never really had a thing for Mushmon. I don't know who the Scyther-like Digimon is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    I don't know who the Scyther-like Digimon is though.
    That is a child level Arkadimon from V-Tamer. He's kind of cute.

Junior Commander AliceKaninchenbau's Avatar
    Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel Add AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt
    Thanks to everyone who has answered so far, I do find it interesting to see how most people do seem to get Digimon they like, rather than Digimon they wouldn't really want to have as their partners! I really didn't expect that to happen much, so like, IDK I feel like I might've accidentally figured out a decent-ish way to determine a person's partner Digimon. So again, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ukyouluvr View Post
    I'm actually quite curious how you divided up the partners by element? I mean, some have obvious Fire/Water/etc elements that you used. But for example, why are the plants "Water" or the bugs "Earth"? What about the less-obviously elemental ones like Kudamon?
    I did explain my logic very briefly in the original post but I can go into more detail here!

So yeah, I did start by dividing all Digimon that used fire-based attacks into Fire, while all Water and Ice Digimon went into Water. With the remaining Digimon I decided that using Fields to determine what Element group they should belong into would probably be the best idea, as I'd have some kind of consistent logic on where the Digimon belonged into. Using attacks alone can be hard after all, since many Digimon do actually have attacks in different elements. BlackGabumon for example does have both Fire and Ice based attack (but as you can tell, I put him into Fire). Of course, many Digimon have multiple different fields, so yes there was cherrypicking involved in this in the end.

I decided that Metal Empire Digimon should belong into Earth because, well, metal comes from deep within the Earth, the Earth association is more logical than say Air or Water as far as I'm concerned. Metal Empire Digimon could maybe be put into Fire too, but while I was making the chart I was thinking that maybe I should put all Nightmare Soldiers and Dark Area Digimon into Fire, because these Digimon tend to be associated with Hell and like, hellfire is a thing. And a neat song in a Disney movie. I'll come back to what I did with these two fields later on, but yeah, to avoid filling one elemental group with too many Digimon I decided that putting ME Digimon into Earth might be for the best.

This is kind of how I decided to put almost all Nature Spirits Digimon into Earth as well. Most of the NSp Digimon tend to have no elements they're associated with (or sometimes they do and it's like thunder), and there's many different kinds of NSp Digimon, ranging from Tentomon to Renamon to Tinkermon. So I had two options, either A) cherry pick each Digimon separately and put them into whatever group seems the most logical, or B) put them into Earth because nature and earth do kind of seem to go hand-in-hand, right? Yup, I went with B.

And that's how the bug Digimon ended up in Earth instead of Air. Here's the twist, out of the seven bug Digimon in this chart, only ONE is a Wind Guardian, FunBeemon. All the other ones are either NSp, ME or Jungle Troopers (or in the case of Tentomon, all three). That's really it. By this point the whole Earth group had become pretty full with Digimon so I wanted to try and avoid putting any more Digimon into the group, which is why the plant Digimon ended up in Water instead. Now yes, with the only exception of Alraumon, all of them are Wind Guardians (and NSp) Digimon. Why didn't I put them into Air because most other Wind Guardians ended up there? Because the Water group was extremely empty and could use more Digimon. Plants do need water to survive, so I thought that was a decent enough excuse to put them there. And again, there's just 5 plant Digimon, had there been any more I would've probably put them in a different group entirely.

Air I put most WG Digimon into like I already said (one of the few exceptions include Digimon like Penmon that seemed to fit Water better), but sadly there aren't all that many purely air-based Digimon. So I ended up thinking that maybe I should put Virus Busters and Holy Digimon into Air as well. Just like hell can be associated with fire, heaven can be associated with the sky and thus with air. This is why Kudamon was put into Air, as well as why I put Liollmon, a Holy Beast Digimon into Air even though it's a NSp ((although in hindsight, Lawful Earth could use a few more Digimon so maybe Liollmon should've stayed in Earth...)).

So after doing all this I finally got to the NSo and DA Digis and figuring out what to do with them. As much as I wanted to avoid cherrypicking that's exactly what I had to do with these Digimon. Those that could use fire based attacks went into Fire, the few that can fly (+Dracumon) went into Air, and because Water could still use a few more Digimon I ended up putting Arkadimon and Keramon there, along with Snow Goburimon.

So yeah, TL: DR; I tried to have as much consistent reasons to why these Digimon ended up with these elements. The reasons usually have something to do with their fields (that're full of surprises), what I was prioritizing while making the chart and whatever I thought made the most sense at the time. I did want to try and have more or less the same amount of Digimon in each element, and this was the end result of that: Fire has 26 Digimon, Earth has 28, Air 25 and Water has 23. While classifying the Digimon into these elements those were the numbers I was focusing on, which might explain something (like this whole time I've been talking about how Water needed more Digimon and this is exactly why- even after all I did, Water is still the smallest group in this chart).

((In hindsight, while Elecmon is a Mammal Digimon and a NSp, it is also a Deep Saver... If I had put Elec and Elec (Purple) into Water, both Earth and Fire would've had 26 Digimon while Air and Water would've had 25... Wormmon is a classic Virus Digimon but has been classified as a Vaccine at some point and Lawful Earth could've used more Digimon... Tinkermon could've been put into Chaotic Air too, and Dracomon a Neutral Air... Liollmon could've stayed in Lawful Earth... Well, I certainly have notes I could put into use if I ever make a 2.0 version of this chart xD))

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    I do find it interesting to see how most people do seem to get Digimon they like, rather than Digimon they wouldn't really want to have as their partners!
    i guess it helps that most digimon are pretty cool and/or having lines that end up as something cool :P

Completely digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel Add SuperStarlite on DeviantArt
    I'm just wondering why it's so uneven. One has 12 to choose, while another only has 5, two of which are pretty much the same one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast