With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: In My Opinion Hurricane Touchdown is Canonical in Adventure & Adventure 02

In My Opinion Hurricane Touchdown is Canonical in Adventure & Adventure 02

I hear a lot of jargon on some (American & UK) websites that Digimon Adventure 02: Hurricane Touchdown is not canonical to Adventure. I don't see any problems, chronological or otherwise, with the story; especially the original Japanese. So I don't understand where this notion that its non canon comes from other than stemming from a general dislike.

Honestly, if you pay attention they reveal a lot about the events unfolded.

Changed the topic name to something more in line with the topic as you've presented it.

And if you want to have this conversation, provide actual content to discuss

Just saying there are no issues, or claiming 'if you pay attention' is not an acceptable as a way to start a discussion.

This conversation comes up in the fandom all the time, it doesn't hurt anyone to have it again, but you gotta toss up actual information to discuss.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Actually I was kind of hoping someone could enlighten me as to what problems there are. I can't just come in here and say what's not wrong with it, because there is nothing that I could possibly say to cover it; I'd have to list the whole movie in that case. And I may be able to fill in some blanks that some people might see in the story as well.
    Last edited by DBxDigimon_fan; 10-18-2016 at 11:48 PM.

I doubt most people are going to feel obligated to do that to be honest.

You've stated it is, along with comments like "if you pay attention" or that you "don't see any problems", so that sort of puts the onus on you to explain 'why' it is as far as examples as to why it is goes.

If others want to that's fine, but this topic often just turns into screaming into the wind.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Well, I came in knowing this doesn't seem like its often talked about. I actually looked to see if there was an existing thread on it but only found one dating back to 2007. Yeesh. Its almost like its assumed to be non canon, and from what I've seen for no other reason than"I don't like it. I don't think its canon." Its actually hard to look for reasons people say its non canon across the web and I've literally found no other reasoning than that.

If there's anything I can say toward its canonicity, without anything to respond to:

a) It contradicts nothing
    b) The other movies made within the year of Hurricane Touchdown are all canon, so why not this "one?"
    c) A lot of people believed Adventure 02 was non canon but were proven wrong. Hurricane Touchdown would literally be the only thing they made for Adventure that's non canon if that's the case. The ground that any of it being non canon is shrinking fast

But I'm honestly at a loss here as to why its assumed non canon outside of these things.

It actually comes up a LOT, just not always in it's own dedicated threads.

As an example, I believe the first tri. poster thread had a MASSIVE canon discussion (with as I recall, page after page after page of movie 3 canon discussion.)

This was a dedicated thread though, from earlier this year in fact- http://withthewill.net/threads/15823

As for your examples, they aren't actual examples 'about' it itself.

A- This... isn't an example at all. You're just saying it doesn't.

B- This in and of itself doesn't mean anything. I mean... Movies 1 and 2 are literally referenced IN the shows. Movie 4 has generally been treated in regards to tri. by most people as 'well... maybe... we'll see what comes up.' It's effective 'phantom' canon until something specifically contradicts it even though nothing strictly is mentioned of it.

C- This again isn't an actual example. You're just saying it's canon because other things are canon (this technically applies to B also.) There are gobs of material that people take as canon, non-canon, maybe canon, etc. The movies just come up more because it's material that is easily accessible if you are out of Japan.

You're assuming people simply 'assume' it to be non-canon, when it's been discussed quite a bit.

It's like, I love the television show MASH. But it's impossible to watch that show without admitting huge swaths of it can't count for itself. Various things that happen explicitly can NOT count based on other things we are told in the show.

Doesn't mean I can't love, like, hate, etc. those elements or episodes, but I will still admit that if you were to try and make a proper timeline, it's hard, if not impossible, to say those elements count.

Especially in the case of 'a', what else am I to say? If it doesn't contradict anything, then it means just that. And so that's where the question comes up. Are there contradictions at all?
    Last edited by DBxDigimon_fan; 10-19-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DBxDigimon_fan View Post
    Especially in the case of 'a', what else am I to say? If it doesn't contradict anything, then it means just that.
    You've provided no evidence, or even examples of things people commonly say 'do' contradict it.

Just you saying it doesn't make it fact.

You made a thread saying it was canon, even telling people that if they pay attention the way things unfold apparently makes sense.

So what elements should we pay attention to?

You've made the claim. I have no intention of giving examples to the contrary because it's on you to prove it counts, not for me to prove it doesn't in this case (others are welcome to if they wish.) If you give an example of something people take as non-canon and explain how it is, that's something I can respond to.

If people gave some reasoning I'd have more to off of to be honest. I'd love to see examples of others' claims of contradictions. I really would.

I'm not even asking you. I'm asking in general. So if you have nothing that's fine. I'm just looking for claims to the contrary. I'm genuinely curious

That's my general issue with the argument (or at least the way you've presented it, which could either be miswording it on your part, or me reading into the way you are presenting it in a way you didn't intend.)

You've said you believe it's canon, and you treat it as if it's obvious.

But you don't seem to even have any examples of 'why' people think it isn't, and why those reasons are wrong.

Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast