With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Universe AppliMonsters 3DS: All Models, now with HQ Renders!

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    I know maybe it's a lot to ask, but may you create a similar Imgur archive with the models you've ripped from Digimon Linkz, Soul Chaser and Fusion Fighters? Thus we can upload them to Wikimon*.
    The reason that I haven't done something like this for the CS/Linkz models is that I generally only release results that I find satisfying, and the rendered CS models never looked good enough to me; Pretty much because it's not just about the lighting and the camera. A big reason why the Appmon renders look as good as they do is because all the models have a nice looking pose. Even then, setting up the camera figuring out the best position for the lights, etc still required a time investment of, I'd say an average between 3 to 6 minutes of work per Appmon until the file was ready to render. Now the CS/Linkz models on the other hand... just come in a T-pose. Just rendering them out like that no matter how good the lighting and general render quality is it will still result in an image of a Digimon awkwardly standing there with its arms stretched to the sides staring blankly into space and that looks simply stupid (imagine GEM figures released in such a pose lol). Now of course those models also come with rigs but I'm not a character animator. If I tried putting them in a "dynamic" pose like the Appmon models have or emulate a victory pose from the game or stuff like that it would literally take hours of work to pose a single model in a way that doesn't make it look like the Digimon is having a stroke. And even if we're just talking about getting the arms in a more "natural" position and not making the pose look as stiff... doing this by posing the individual joints (There's an arguments for setting up IK-chains and controllers here but even though that would end up making all subsequent posing really easy, setting it up takes longer than doing one pose the "cheap" way but I might be getting too technical here), would pretty much add an additional 8 (and in the case of Digimon with unusual/complex body structures more than 15) minutes of work per individual model. And there are 240 of them. And most of them have not only higher resolution textures but are also more complex high poly models than the appmon leading to longer render times (I estimate 6 to 10 minutes instead of 3 to 6) so in total I'd end up with around 24 hours of render time during which I can't use my main computer for anything because rendering high res CG pretty much eats up all CPU power. So yeah, that would be pretty long term project all in all maybe something I'd manager over the time of like one or two months or something. And I'm not really feeling like starting something this big right now.
    Okay thanks for your reponse Anyway could I ask you for some specific model by PM (just in the case you decide to do some in the future)? ^.^

sure, why not.
    Don't expect any spectacular poses though.

I've developed a knack for posing myself.

Now, it still takes a while, but I can churn a pose out in... about a half hour...

Is it okay if Digimon Wiki uploads these as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Inpu View Post
    Is it okay if Digimon Wiki uploads these as well?
    Yes, no problem.

Something I noticed is that, while there are no bones, you can offset (and sometimes mirror) the eyes on quite a few of these to get different eye expressions.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Hey Theigno! Do we already have, by any chance, the models for Logimon, Logomon, Bootmon, Shutmon, Warudamon and the 6 God Digimon in the game?

Thanks for reading.

God grades, Onmon/Offmon Line, Warudamon, etc

... So after a much longer wait than expected I finally managed to get the necessary resources to rip the remaining appmon models that were not in Cyber Arena (Although seeing how there's no official artwork of them yet and all people have are pixely and blurry photographs of 3DS screens I would say that I'm still on time lol). This update includes the following 11 Appmon that are exclusive to the full version of the game (listed with their grade):
    • Warudamon (Ultimate)
    • Gaiamon (God)
    • Hadesmon (God)
    • Poseidomon (God)
    • Uranusmon (God)
    • Deusmon (God)
    • Logimon (Super)
    • Logomon (Super)
    • Bootmon (Ultimate)
    • Shutmon (Ultimate)
    • Rebootmon (God)
    Download the models here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/pr9d9vma3tk5cdd/

(The files have also been added to main archive in the opening post)

I made HQ renders for all of them, you can find them in this Imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/a/aJvEm

Below are a few samples (not all of them because of their filesize, click for the full resolution)

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Overall the models are great looking as far the geometry is concerned, however as, unsurprisingly, the god grades are among the most complex models in the game the game's very meager texture resolution of 256x256px is really struggling to produce sharp details when it is stretched over those large complex surfaces.
    And despite the low color variation I still like most god grade Appmon (except Poseidomon). Deusmon really looks like the kind of edgy god of spikes that Juptermon Wrath mode would invite to a party but I quite like it anyway.
    I'm also pretty sure that we'll see Warudamon in the anime pretty soon...
    Last edited by Theigno; 03-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    The HQ render of Deusmon has really changed my assessment of its design. Since Warudamon is one of its components, it definitely has a "Final Boss" vibe to it. I wish it had some more distinct references to Warudamon or Cometmon (or their individual components), but it manages to both be a generic looking "God" type while also carrying an intimidating air to it. I look forward to seeing it appear in the anime at some point.

Similarly, Uranusmon's design is super cool. The storm clouds and wind that are in its design make it seem like some kind of weather god (which is fitting, considering its namesake).

But Poseidomon is just awkward looking. The beast-like lower body feels really at odds with the fins. And the design of its head is just... atrocious. While the other 3 God Grades of the core AppliDrivers carry some references to their base forms, Poseidomon looks like poor Dokamon got his massive melon compressed.

Thanks Theigno! Really appreciate seeing the HQ models.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Nice!

I'm seriously considering going in and adding bones manually to some of the models, along with making "better" textures.

Considering, but we shall see.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast