With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary of the modern With the Will

10th Anniversary of the modern With the Will

It was exactly 10 years ago that the modern incarnation of WtW began (just days after the prior version imploded.)

The site lasted a few days with some of the prior admin staff before folding over nearly an entirely new team running the site.

Even when I took it over, I wasn't actually going to run the place. It was in theory supposed to be me and Seifer, but honest, I don't recall why it didn't (I could continue long standing jokes about Seifer screwing up, but I honestly don't recall what happened.)

I honestly think I ended up running the place for no reason other than I was the one willing and able to do it (and hosting it certainly helped.)

We weren't even using the name With the Will for the first few months of the new forum.

A small blast from the past that newer members won't recall, but might enjoy seeing...

Originally whenever we added a new major thing to the site (often with it's own subdomain, etc.) we would just slap a new small sidebar next to the old WtW logo image (with each being a clickable link.) That's not the most complete one, just one I had on hand.

A few staff members were trying to develop Digimon games, etc. A lot of these didn't last to long as they just weren't tenable, but I still like the concept of the sidebars, even if the current nice art banner with text links on top is cleaner overall. I believe Digistar put together every sidebar, going off stick figure drawings I would make.

That's probably one of my favorite versions of the old WtW logo image (we customized that poor Minomon being terrified many times (a tradition that continues today, even if it's not 100% as obvious where he is.) We wanted to keep it when we introduced a new minimal theme, so we removed the background elements, and actually had it sitting on the header in such a way that it overlayed over multiple images using it's alpha layer. That version probably showed up around 2007 or so... I don't quite recall.

The original version of the 'big' WtW banner art. This was used on our old portal for a number of years, and some old forum themes.

To many staff members to thank (especially since I don't recall all of them from before I was around) so thanks to everyone.

Certainly past admins helped the site survive over the years simply by running it, so thanks to Jita for starting the site. Omnitor wherever he is (wait... was he an admin?) Koroku, Suzaku, and Seifer for the time they spent helping to run the place at different times when it needed different people to help. Thanks to Vande for sticking around, even when she 'really' did not like me or wanted me on staff in the first place (she changed her mind later.) Thanks to lost for saying 'sure' when I asked him if he wanted to help put back together a forum that had just imploded, and sticking around making sure everything works for a full decade.

I'm sure I've forgotten (or misspelled a name or two), but they helped run the site, even if one or two left under not the best circumstances, the forum probably wouldn't be here today if they didn't all jump in and help when they did.

I'll leave any notable or interesting WtW details or stories to anyone who wants to share and discuss them in the thread.

Minus maybe one... I still think it's kind of amazing that for the Savers dub, we gave input into the casting of the series.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I'm sure I could have added far far far more.

But I'm very tired after a long and stressful day, and as everyone knows, I can type a lot.

So I figured I'd let people say what they wanted to say after doing a reasonably short (for me) major news post.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I would've been 7 years old when the modern With the Will started, damn. Was still a huge digimon fan at least, just not properly literate

Anyway, congrats on the ten years all you old digimon-ers!! Thanks for making a forum that's keeping the youngins' entertained nowadays too!

Gonna ask a question aimed at the older With The Will members who remember those ten years, do you have a favorite event that transpired sometime in during 10 years? Please enlighten me, I want a history lesson!
    moo

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    10 years of dictatorship lol.

Joking aside, I honestly can't remember half of the stuff that has happened since Marc took over. It just happened.

I'm glad you did manage to get stuff set up with Lost, despite all the crap that was going off at the time. (See the Chronicles of WtW threads somewhere...)

Really where have those 10 years gone?

Cheers Marc and here is to another 10!

Greece (A.K.A The place with old, boring, historical stuff which is bankrupt now)
    Add Anna___ on DeviantArt
    Ah, you ol' geezers. Kanpai to another 10 crazy years!

Completely digital Lord Archfiend Kliff's Avatar
    I remember being a kid and going onto this forum, I didn't register because I knew minimal English but it was fun dwelling into DMA and File Island, and seeing some random posts on this forum.

Here's to the future!

Let's not forget about the mobile site banner:

Congrats, With the Will! Thanks to all the mods and staff that keep this place running, especially in those years when there was pretty much nothing new (at least in the US). WtW is my go-to place for Digimon news ever since I found it after re-watching seasons 1-4, though I "lurked" here for several years before actually joining. =)
    Digimon fangirl (especially of Tamers and Tri) ~ Projects in the works: Sora (Digimon Tri) cosplay, Meicoomon plushie.
    [Insert snarky Gomamon quip here.]

Can't believe it's been 10 years. WtW sure has changed. From a shitty place with shitty people to a place with people you can have a good conversation with. Early wtw was some of the worst times of my life. I even wrote a story murdering everyone that dared insult me.

Iori:.. This is why you are never becoming a moderator. The exact reason. We do not need a dictator!

I'd have to say the best time is now. Where I can post without people bullying me and telling me to kill myself. Even Vande-Chan has grown on me.

Congrats on not going crazy and destroying everything Marc, it's a real feat! Thanks mods for keeping the forum nice and clean. Except for Theigno, just cause. =P

Digimon Adventure tri. part 6, Our Future!
    Coming out May 5th, Children's Day!
    [Art by http://dejitarugeeto02.tumblr.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by NekoHaruko View Post
    Can't believe it's been 10 years. WtW sure has changed. From a shitty place with shitty people to a place with people you can have a good conversation with. Early wtw was some of the worst times of my life. I even wrote a story murdering everyone that dared insult me.

Iori:.. This is why you are never becoming a moderator. The exact reason. We do not need a dictator!

I'd have to say the best time is now. Where I can post without people bullying me and telling me to kill myself. Even Vande-Chan has grown on me.

Congrats on not going crazy and destroying everything Marc, it's a real feat! Thanks mods for keeping the forum nice and clean. Except for Theigno, just cause. =P
    The overall site is older than 10 years, but I don't recall exactly when Jita opened it (minus that it was during Frontier), so I tend to skew to when the new version opened up (especially since there were 3 or 4 full 'starting over from scratch' back before the current incarnation, and we don't really have that stuff to check.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast