With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people bash "Picklemon" as a name? + Share other Reference Book "fails" ITT

Unhappy Why do people bash "Picklemon" as a name? + Share other Reference Book "fails" ITT

I mean, sure, Piccolomon literally means "really small monster". But in english "pickle" could mean "a small amount of something." So there's also that, right? It's not that bad of a name per se. I kinda like it. It's farfetched and not obvious like "Piccolomon"... If you know Japanese, Piccolomon is like "Oh, haha... It's small. So original, guys."

I don't see it as a fail, but for some reason most of the fandom disagrees. What I see as a fail is the whole "Free" attribute tho. I still don't get it.

What other "fails" can you share, guys?
    Last edited by iara; 09-02-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Probably because it just sounds silly :P

Free is usually conflated with Variable attribute, where it's always equal to the attribute of the Digimon it's fighting.

It's worth mentioning, the actual Picklemon translation IS in fact an error. I don't speak Japanese, but even tracking down the actual letters and looking up base translations and pronunciations confirms this.

The actual text is ピッコロモン

We can get rid of the モン since that's just 'mon'.

ピッコロ

That is in fact the Japanese spelling used for the instrument in Japan, including both characters with the name from the Dragonball franchise.

Pickle in this case is a literal mistranslation of the word.

Even if you break it down to it's core components, pickle seems to be purely based on someone mishearing the word.

Certainly many Digimon names are based on corruptions of words, but this one uses solid spelling.

Or in short, it's bashed as a name because it's objectively wrong.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Completely digital MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    CyberSleuths Medals have alot of errors

Eldradimon instead of Eldoradimon
    AncientKazemon instead of AncientIrismon
    AncientTroymon instead of AncientTrojamon
    GroundLocomon instead of GranLocomon
    Sakuyamon Maid Mode instead of Sakuyamon Miko Mode
    Dragomon instead of Dagomon
    MedicalGallantmon instead of MedievalDukemon
    Lucemon Rival instead of Lucemon Larva

Okay some of those I can excuse as dub names but... Ground Locomon? Lucemon Rival?? Medical Gallantmon??? How do you even do that?!

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    I can think of 3 right now that bother me a lot:
    *Fairimon (フェアリモン). If you look for Fairy at Wikipedia, its exact kanji is フェアリ, so why not Fairymon instead of Fairimon? I mean even in some materials it has been romanized like this but the DRB maintains this spelling. Furthermore impo, the second option fits better and it's more esthetic.
    *Huckmon (ハックモン). It has become evident recently that its Appmon version is based on a hacking program, and the name of this 2016 Anime Version has been romanized as Hackmon, so why the Huckmon-thing? Some others say that the original Hackmon is based on Huckleberry Finn, but tbh, there is no evidence of this as far as I can tell. In my personal opinion, Hackmon is the best option.
    *BeelStarmon (ベルスターモン). This is the most recent one, the female counterpart of Beelzebumon which is based on Belle Starr, a famous American outlaw. I know they want to emphasize its connection with Beelzebumon (ベルゼブモン), but before its profile was added to the DRB, its name had been translated in Digimon Heroes! as BelleStarmon which, honestly, it's way better and fits good with its stunning design.

Junior Commander
    Digimon name romanization is usually very weird. Why in reference book Apocalymon is spelled Apoclymon? why missing the "a"?
    Why Leomon is Liomon? Why Ravemon is Ravmon? Why Ophanimon is Ofanimon? and more similar things.
    I wonder if it's really deliberated, or pure unintentionally mistake

The answer is because they don't give a damn about the romanization, it's just there to look cool. It's Digimon Engrish. Of course it's nonsense most of the time, the same way Japanese background text in America media is often garbled.

For most of the fandom's history we mostly ignored the official spellings for that very reason. The DRB isn't really a new thing, there were tons of printed reference books and official Japanese websites with Digimon names in English and profiles and so on. It wasn't until all the Digimon wikis came around and carried over the Wikipedia fetish for some blessed citation source that we ever really used them. There were a few exceptions, like Greymon, which were mostly carried through because they seemed reasonable, even if some doubt was cast on them later.

So I don't think most names are really going to count as a "fail", they were never intended to be serious. That's why they're not even consistent with what they use. You see different so-called official spellings in different sources.

As an aside, a lot of the Bandai of America dub names that people think are dumb were what they were told to use by Bandai Japan.

Why Leomon is Liomon? Why Ravemon is Ravmon? Why Ophanimon is Ofanimon? and more similar things.
    Some of those are reasonable.

You could romanize レイヴモン as Ravmon - it is just short for "raven" - you would just never do that if you spoke English because, as an English speaker, you need to see the "e" to pronounce the name correctly, therefore the "best" spelling is Ravemon, rather than Ravmon. If you spelled it Ravmon, then people would go around saying "rahvmon" instead of "RAYvemon."

Ofanim and ophanim are both acceptable spellings, ophanim is just much more common and I believe the preferred spelling.

Another factor to remember is that there often isn't one "right" way to write something, even just going from regular Japanese to English you have different romanization systems. That's why bantyo, bancho, and banchou are all correct romanizations of バンチョー. When you introduce stuff that's originally from another language, like Greek or whatever, you introduce their transliteration debates; e.g., khaos vs chaos.
    Last edited by Shining Celebi; 09-03-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    CyberSleuths Medals have alot of errors

Sakuyamon Maid Mode instead of Sakuyamon Miko Mode
    MedicalGallantmon instead of MedievalDukemon
    Lucemon Rival instead of Lucemon Larva
    For the love of everything that is good. I NEED to draw this.

Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    Digimon name romanization is usually very weird. Why in reference book Apocalymon is spelled Apoclymon? why missing the "a"?
    Several of those are acceptable pronounciations. Also Leomon is still Leomon in the reference book. Look:
    http://digimon.net/cat-digimon-dicti...mon/index.html

Some of those names are just "adaptations", so that they sound natural for English speakers. E.g.: Ophanimon.
    "F" and "Ph" for ofani are pretty much the same thing here. So the dub went with what they thought was right: Ophanimon. Japan went with Ofanimon.

The most annoying "fail," to me, is Goburimon and SnowGoburimon. It's a goblin Digimon. 19 years later we are still fucking this up? This is more on fandom and Bandai of America than Japan, though. I think there's been text for both "Goburimon" and "Goblimon" but "Goburimon" has lasted very long because of the card game, video games, and the dub.

I'm kind of at a loss for mistakes Japan made outside of "Picklemon" for the moment, but some more from the localized version that are all almost certainly mistakes:

-"Biyomon" and "Bukamon". Someone just goofed. What needs to be censored or changed about the letter P?
    -Dynasmon's attack "Dragon Thrower". It's supposed to be "Dragon's Roar" but somebody misread the katakana "ドラゴンズロア"
    -"Rhodonitemon" from fans, and "LoadKnightmon" from the Savers dub.
    -"Flarizamon" and "Darkrizamon". I believe these are used in Digimon World. The Tamers dub used "DarkLizarmon" but it was probably intentional to add that R, which the English names tend to do(make the name source more obvious). The 02 dub used "Flarizamon".
    -"Arukenimon". I felt so dumb when I figured it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast