With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Soul Chaser sprites

Digimon Soul Chaser sprites

Because one big extraction topic per week just isn't enough...
    "Digimon Soul Chaser", pretty much a game that flew under everyone's radar... probably mostly because it's just yet another free-to-play mobile game that's region locked and it just kinda exited its quite long open beta phase without much promotion. The game has a very unique 2D super deformed art style and animations that are actually very nice to look at. (that's pretty much all there is to say about it, since the rest is just your typical simplistic mobile rpg)
    So since the artwork is quite nice I decided to extract it but I doubt this will be as big of a deal as the Linkz/CS models... the main reason being the way the sprites are managed:

Image Thumbnail (custom)
    (click for full size and yes SantaAgumon is in this game)

So yeah as mentioned before the sprites look nice and are quite high resolution (the files for larger Digimon go up to 2028x2048) but if you want your complete chibi Digimon you'll have to puzzle it together yourself from the various parts. For examples of spritesheets of more complex Ultimate level Digimon you can check out my little example gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/zhgj5
    Overall it's the kind of style you'll have to see in motion to actually appreciate it, but nevertheless you can get the entire package of Digimon sprites, attack effects and icons, the full world map and item drop spritesheets here:

So how which Digimon are in the game? 245 in total (that's more than linkz has):
    Code:
    AeroV-dramon
    Agumon
    Agumon(black)
    Andiramon
    Andromon
    Angemon
    Angewomon
    Ankylomon
    Anomalocarimon
    Aquilamon
    Archnemon
    Armadimon
    Armagemon
    Assaultmon
    AtlurKabuterimon
    Baihumon
    Bakemon
    Bakumon
    Bastemon
    Bearmon
    Betamon
    BigMamemon
    Birdramon
    Blacktailmon
    Blossomon
    Botamon
    Bubbmon
    Budmon
    Candmon
    Cannondramon
    Caprimon
    Caturamon
    Centalmon
    Cherubimon
    Chibimon
    Chicomon
    Chrysalimon
    Coelamon
    DarkTyranomon
    DeathMeramon
    Deltamon
    Deramon
    Devidramon
    Devimon
    Diablomon
    Digitamamon
    Dokugumon
    Dokunemon
    Drimogemon
    Dukemon
    Ebidramon
    Erecmon
    Etemon
    Evilmon
    FlaWizarmon
    Floramon
    Flymon
    Fugamon
    Gabumon
    Ganimon
    Garbemon
    Garudamon
    Garumon
    Garumon(black)
    Gazimon
    Gekomon
    Gesomon
    Gigadramon
    Gigasmon
    Gigimon
    Giromon
    Gizamon
    Goburimon
    Gomamon
    Gorimon
    Gotsumon
    Greymon
    Grottomon
    Growmon
    Gryzmon
    Guardromon
    Guilmon
    Hagurumon
    Hangyomon
    Hanumon
    Hawkmon
    HerakleKabuterimon
    HolyAngemon
    Hookmon
    Hououmon
    Icemon
    Ikkakumon
    Imperialdramon
    Imperialdramon fighter mode
    Indaramon
    Infermon
    Insekimon
    Jagamon
    Jyarimon
    Jyureimon
    Kabuterimon
    Keramon
    Kiwimon
    Kodokugumon
    Koemon
    Kokatorimon
    Kokuwamon
    Koromon
    Kumbhiramon
    Kunemon
    Kuramon
    Kuwagamon
    LadyDevimon
    Leafmon
    Leomon
    Lilimon
    Majiramon
    Makuramon
    Mamemon
    MarinDevimon
    Mechanorimon
    Megadramon
    MegaloGrowmon
    MegaSeadramon
    Megidramon
    Mephismon
    Meramon
    MetalEtemon
    MetalGarurumon
    MetalGreymon
    MetalGreymon virus
    Metalkoromon
    MetalSeadramon
    MetalTyranomon
    Mihiramon
    Mikemon
    Minomon
    Mistymon
    Mochimon
    Mojyamon
    Mokumon
    Mommon
    Monochromon
    Monzaemon
    Mugendramon
    Mushmon
    Nanimon
    Nanomon
    Numemon
    Nyaromon
    Nyokimon
    Ofanimon
    Okuwamon
    Omegamon
    Orgemon
    Otamamon
    Pagumon
    Paildramon
    Pajiramon
    Palmon
    Panjyamon
    Parrotmon
    Patamon
    PetitMeramon
    Phantomon
    Pichimon
    PicoDevimon
    Picollomon
    Piedmon
    Pinochimon
    Piyomon
    Plotmon
    Poromon
    Poyomon
    Pukamon
    Pumpmon
    Punimon
    Pururumon
    Pyocomon
    Qinglongmon
    Raremon
    RedVagimon
    Revolmon
    Rosemon
    SaberLeomon
    Sandiramon
    SantaAgumon
    Scumon
    Seadramon
    Seraphimon
    Shakkoumon
    Shakomon
    Shamamon
    Shellmon
    Silphymon
    Sinduramon
    SkullGreymon
    Snimon
    Soulmon
    Stingmon
    Tailmon
    Tanemon
    Tankmon
    Tentomon
    Thunderballmon
    Togemon
    Tokomon
    TonosamaGekomon
    Tortamon
    ToyAgumon
    ToyAgumon(black)
    Tsubumon
    Tsumemon
    Tsunomon
    Tuskmon
    Tyranomon
    Tyumon
    UlforceV-dramon
    Unimon
    Upamon
    V-dramon
    V-mon
    Vademon
    Vajramon
    Valkyrimon
    Vamdemon
    Vegimon
    Vikaralamon
    Vikemon
    WarGreymon
    WaruMonzaemon
    Weregarurumon
    Weregarurumon(black)
    Whamon
    Wizarmon
    Woodmon
    Wormmon
    Xuanwumon
    XV-mon
    YukiAgumon
    Yukidarumon
    YukimiBotamon
    Yuramon
    Zassoumon
    Zhuqiaomon
    Zudomon
    not all the image files will have those exact names,I simply kept the names the files had in the archives, they are correct for the most part but there are some weird exceptions like Fugamon being spelled "Pugamon" and SantaAgumon being "chrismas Agumon" (even though he is called SantaAgumon in-game)

I guess there are still a few more things to extract from this but to be honest this game really isn't that high on my priority list... I will however check for updates once a week I guess.

Red shirt
    Thank you for the upload!
    Do you know how it'd be possible to get future digimon update from Soul Chaser?

Ohh, V-dramon anime version, at last! So sad that it appears in a obscure game, but better than nothing. Thou... I will have to "arm" him...

Add Rexanimon on DeviantArt
    Those sprites are beautiful! I love the idea of an anime-style 2D game!
    Execute... UNIFIED SPIRIT EVOLUTION!

Ain't got no mojo...
    Hi can i ask u a question?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    ...You just did. Just ask rather than taking up space asking about asking.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ain't got no mojo...
    please updated lilithmon and Venom Vamdemon Sakuyamon

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Is there any chance of getting the models, images and stuff about the rest of the Digimon that aren't included on the list? I'm afraid the service of this game is close to be terminated...it hasn't been an update since months...

Ain't got no mojo...
    I didn't know these were ripped! I thought no one was able to... But none of battle backgrounds are ripped though.

Updating the rips at some point in the future...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by DPTronazel View Post
    I didn't know these were ripped! I thought no one was able to ...But none of battle backgrounds are ripped though.
    Most of these unity based mobile games are similar, so if one is able to rip from one then the others are basically the same. In the case of Soul Chaser getting the files themselves is even more trivial than it is with Linkz since it only has a single resource directory and a single resource list that is uses to get its files.

There has however been a reason why I didn't bother updating this for so long but it's technical and obscure enough to make me feel that there wouldn't be much of a point in doing an explanation post, especially since the overall interest in the game was never that high. However there have been a few developments and it seems at least a few people are interested in the assets, so I guess I might just sit down and go over the complications involved in releasing the sprite sheets for newer versions of the game, and how I could make it work anyway.

The gist of the problem is that just a few updates after I did the first dump of the sprite sheets, the game completely reworked the way it handles alpha channels (transparency) in the majority of its assets, making it difficult to release the assets without employing irreversible methods of image editing.
    In the first versions of the game the sprites had their images and their alpha channel combined in one image like we are used to. There was no need to tweak anything, after converting them from their compressed formats (this game uses .pvr and .dds respectively) I could simply release them as-is. However in newer versions of the game, in the case of basically all graphics over 64x64 resolution, the alpha channel is saved in a separate file as a grayscale alpha mask. This sounds pointless since that way you end up with twice the amount of images but the reason this was done was because if the mask and the image are in different files the two no longer need to have the same resolution. So in order to save space and possibly to get better performance the majority of graphics only has an alpha mask at half the resolution of the original image. For the purposes of presenting the images after the extraction ...that is pretty bad.

Here's an example (images are links because they are still quite huge):
    https://i.imgur.com/b7ug1YP.png
    Apollomon's sprite sheet has a resolution of 2048x2048.

His alpha mask however...
    https://i.imgur.com/NSp1RHe.png
    is only 1024x1024, and since we're talking about area here, unscaled, the mask only takes up a quarter of the actual image.

As you might imagine, most methods of scaling up the mask just end up with blurry and ugly outlines.
    Curiously this does not happen within the game itself, the reason for that is the game's rather low base resolution (Even on high res devices the game tends to stay around 720p) which causes in most cases, excluding extreme camera movements during special attack animations, the actual sprites to be scaled down quite a bit from their original size making the overall resolution closer to that of the downscaled alpha mask so it looks just fine (during special attacks the movements and effects also serve to make the lack of detail in the transparencies less obvious).

Anyway, for the sake of ripping and releasing the sprite sheets there are a few ways of handling the alpha masks. The game's own method of scaling the graphics down to the size of the mask if for this purpose obviously the most destructive method so that's rejected from the start; I could of course not bother doing anything and simply upload the separated files for people to put them together however they want (which is probably something I'll do regardless of whatever other kind of release I might put together). This would represent the game's assets faithfully but wouldn't be immediately usable (as usable as giant sprite sheets with dozens of separated parts tend to be anyways).
    Or I could combine the masks and images in various different ways. One of those ways is technically not destructive and involves scaling the alpha mask using the "nearest neighbor" interpolation. This would not result in any change of detail in the alpha mask (since it would be scaled by 200% each single pixel maps exactly to 4 pixels in the upscaled version) and is completely reversible by scaling it down with the same interpolation method to its original size. However, the end result looks like crap:
    https://i.imgur.com/dl82wJa.png

...aliasing everywhere and generally unpleasing to the eye. And while this is a 2-im-1 composite that anyone with a base knowledge in photoshop can easily deconstruct in its original parts there is not much usability gained from combining the images into something this ugly.

The other option is to use a more high end upscaling algorithm for a better looking result that however "falsifies" the original mask to some extend:
    https://i.imgur.com/ZWDZZuK.png

...This looks more like something someone with an interest in sprite could use right of the box. Here, the upscaling was done using the new "Preserve Details 2.0" method in Photoshop and in fact it was the scaling improvement with this algorithm that made me reconsider doing some kind of release with combined masked sprites for this game after all.
    Just for the sake of comparison, here is the result of the alpha map upscaled with a normal bicubic scaling mode:
    https://i.imgur.com/Z8gJ3sp.png
    Note the ugly outlines and the general grey blur around all the edges... it simply didn't seem acceptable to release that.

But even with Preserve Details 2.0 the image is still not perfect, there's still somewhat prominent ringing around the edges (the result of the scaling algorithm overcompensating for sharpness), but de-ringing has its own problems as it can negatively affect subtler gradients such as the ones seen in the flame and explosion effects.
    And of course the big deal for me is that it is no longer possible to reconstruct the original alpha mask from the game from the upscaled version. Even the best upscaling algorithm loses details, and even if downscaled again you would end up with a different result than the actual asset in the game which is something I usually try to avoid. But I guess I could justify the editing by releasing it besides the unedited and unmerged versions of the assets.

But it's still quite an endeavor to combine and re-scale all those images; Just to give you an idea of the magnitude we're talking about: There are 2665 images in the game, 1524 of which are pairs of images and masks (in other words 762 "complete" images after combining those parts), and out of those 1524 there are 646 with full resolution alpha masks, while the other 878 had their masks downscaled. That's clearly way above anything I'd edit manually and even the images that have full resolution masks (mostly child level Digimon) still need to be merged. It'll take writing some custom photoshop script to get all those masks and images put together and scaled correctly.

...But that's not all there is to it! Remember the old release that still had the alpha channels together with the rest of the images? You might think that in terms of the non-alpha parts of the sprites the new versions would be of identical quality or, since individual files have less data and need to be compressed less, could even be in higher quality... but again the newer versions are a step back. Even if all the masks are handled correctly or even in the case of images that kept their original resolution in both versions the new version has higher compression and looks generally worse. So now I'm in a situation where if I release the ripped sprites of a new version they will actually worse than those in the previous version... but not all people who might download the package would know that and I don't want anyone to unwittingly end up with an inferior package.
    Again there a ways of handling this situation, for example I could turn the release into a selective "best of" by overwriting all the sprites that already existed in the early version of the game with the rips from said early version and only leave the combined image for the newly added Digimon. But that is something I don't really want to automate since it's always possible that an existing sprite has been revamped in some way, in which case I would of course want to keep both. In that case my only way forward is to manually go through over 1000 images and compare them for potential changes, adding another layer of work. I'm not sure when I'll have enough time to do all that, but rest assured I have all the raw assets lying around so I'll get to it eventually, the unedited collection will probably be compiled first.

TLDR: I got all the files but getting everything to acceptable quality is very annoying and time consuming so it might take a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast