With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3138394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Models from Digimon Linkz (and by extension Cyber Sleuth and Next 0rder)

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    I haven't seen any ripped DW3 models anywhere... All I've seen are a few texture mods where people remade some DMO models to look like DW3 recolors.
    https://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/File:Vemmon_dw3.png

https://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Categ...World_3_Images

https://www.khwiki.com/User_talk:Sha...non-KH_request
    https://www.khwiki.com/User_talk:Kry...non-KH_request

The bulk of them are carefully cropped screenshots, it turns out. I misremembered.
    Last edited by Inpu; 07-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Belphemon Mutations! Previews For The Next big Archive Upgrades!

There are a bunch of different things to "announce" today, so here's a post in 3 Parts.

Part 1: We got some new mutations.

Linkz got updated and is now at version 2.4.1 after having been stuck at 2.4.0 for quite a long time (I was kind of worried that this meant no future major updates but now that version numbers are going up again I'm more at ease).
    So far the only new model addition in the update is something we've all been expecting: Yet another mutated Demon Lord and this time it's Belphemon... and because he has two forms both of them were retextured.

They're both albinos now, wow. And their chains are red for some reason because making things red seems to be a theme here.

Part 2: PS4 Textures are coming soon!

It has become possible to extract assets from PS4 games and I will soon replace the current textures which mostly come from the Vita version with their PS4 counterparts.
    Fair warning: This is far less exciting than it sounds. I'd bet if I were to upgrade the archive secretly most wouldn't even notice.
    This is because the PS4 textures, as far as the Digimon go are not actually that much better or upgraded or whatever people tend to think they are. All the talk about how brilliantly the graphics were revamped, at least in terms of Cyber Sleuth and HM, was all marketing talk without much substance.
    By this point meshes being identical between the console and mobile games is beyond all doubt. But even if anyone was hoping that the upgrade in terms of textures would be substantial... well it's not.
    The PS4 textures are not higher resolution and they are are also not that much less compressed than the Vita textures, the improvements are on a scale that are basically just at the edge of noticeability. Have a look at this comparison; vita on the left and PS4 on the right:

If you are just looking at the scaled down thumbnail you probably won't spot the difference. If you zoom in to the orignal size you'll probably also don't notice any difference unless you look very carefully. It's mostly the eyes that appear a bit more clear. A few details in very small high contrasting spots also get just a tad sharper.

So yeah. If you always wanted the textures to just look a little tiny bit cleaner you're in for a treat.

[Note 1: None of that is to say that stuff doesn't look better in the PS4 version; higher resolution goes a long way even for comparatively low res textures. The other thing the PS4 version includes is mipmapping, meaning smaller versions of the same textures included in the same texture file, so when you look at a Digimon from far away the texture size adjusts accordingly making details stay sharper than they would if the full size texture were downfiltered. That might sound counter-intuitive but it really makes for a positive difference. So while they didn't really update the textures they optimized the way they were displayed which is something I guess but still less than expected]

[Note 2: I haven't really mentioned Next 0rder International Edition here because it's kind of a weird semi exception... a few of the "new" Digimon in Next 0rder such as SnowGoburimon, Tururiemon and RedVegimon have nice looking textures that are 1024px or higher but pretty much everyone else still has the same 512px textures we know from CS (at least some are even slightly worse). And you'd think that an important PS4 exclusive Boss Digimon like Voltobautamon would get super high res textures... but he didn't. And I should mention that the separate textures for the Digimons' eyes are basically as big as the textures for the rest of their bodies. That's nice but also just what the hell]

Part 3: Animations are coming ...eventually!

Is this Dynasmon in the middle of his Breath of Wyvern attack? And are we looking at a fully ripped animation timeline? Well, yes we are!

But as you might imagine exporting animations makes things way more complicated, adding a whole dimension of technical details to figure out on top of the general mesh extraction; I'm still experimenting with the exact framerate and euler filter amount that I need to use to get the animation to work at the right speed and without any glitches.
    In order to release the models while including animations a change of file formats is needed. While Collada (.dae) does support animation, only FBX seems to be capable of saving multiple animation clips in form of separate takes in a single file (I could cheat and put all the animations consecutively in a single timeline but that would just be needlessly confusing). However FBX, being a more advanced format, might be well supported in professional 3D editing software but many free editors and/or viewers don't know how to handle more complex fbx files. I really don't want to make the models less accessible, so even after the point of changing my workflow to be more animation oriented I will continue to release the standard rigged but non-animated models in the collada format for compatibility and because there's always a point to be made for easily editable open source formats.

So far the fbx files that are directly extracted from the assets have a tendency to feature some basic screw ups that keeps most programs that are not Autodesk products from displaying them correctly (fbx is a proprietary format owned autodesk so it figures that they have the best support). In other words I have to fix and re-export the file multiple times to work out all the kinks and produce a proper file that works with most fbx import plugins. That's a lot of work and with over 300 models this is really going to take a while (and unfortunately exporting fancier Digimon models can't be said to be a big priority in my life right now).

The inclusion of animations also leads to other potentially annoying work. You might have noticed from Dynasmon's Breath of Wyvern screenshot above that no actual Wyvern is present. That is because anything that has to do with particle effects or additional models that get "summoned" during attacks is very rarely found within the main "character" model file of a Digimon but is instead saved separately in an accompanying model file called "DeathblowEffects". These files I previously ignored since particle effects usually aren't very interesting and animation data wasn't extractable... but now that the "character" half of the attacks can be extracted I feel like the particle half is getting more relevant. But I'm still on the fence about it because because a lot of game specific lighting and particle effects are just not going to be recreated properly and synching up the different animations both in space and time would end up being a major pain in the ass that would probably slow down the whole process significantly.
    Either way, I can't really give an exact timeline of when I'll have the completely animated models ready... but I'm working on it.
    Last edited by Theigno; 07-24-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Very nice!

Even through the textures aren't all that improved in the PS4 games, at least we 100% know now.
    And hey, maybe we can find unused textures in the game. I heard something a while back where textures of Chimairamon was discovered in one of the games.

And nice work getting the animations!

Now the big question: How much closer are we to getting the models of the Digimon in the PS4 games?
    Pokémon fan at heart, but growing to like Digimon.

belphemon mutant looks nice
    even if the PS4 textures aren't very different it's still good that we can get them at all
    and yaaaaay animation! i really hoping to see them keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Arranos View Post
    And hey, maybe we can find unused textures in the game. I heard something a while back where textures of Chimairamon was discovered in one of the games.
    Nothing new so far. If there was anything big like that it would probably have been noticed in the vita version already.

Quote Originally Posted by Arranos View Post
    Now the big question: How much closer are we to getting the models of the Digimon in the PS4 games?
    On that front everything is the same as before. Fortunately for Cyber Sleuth that question is mostly irrelevant since all the core Digimon are in Linkz all the DLC Digimon are in next 0rder which is in a bit of a better spot.
    For CS and HM there is still only one extraction tool and it only like half works for export purposes (it's inconsistent to the point where you extract a model multiple times and get a slightly different result each time). not everything is nearly as bad as the Apocalymon I showed in the earlier post, you can get some of them to look presentable with manual corrections it's just never going to be all the way there.
    The PS4 version of Next 0rder works the same as the vita version. Models can be extracted but only without rigging since animations are split off into separate files which extraction tools don't take into account yet. However the geometry should come out completely fine. As mentioned before this was possible for the vita version as well but no one bothered with that since the models would have come with truly insultingly terrible textures. In the PS4 version the textures are at least okay, so I'm willing to give it another shot at some point.
    Last edited by Theigno; 07-24-2018 at 07:38 AM.

I come from the net
    Polar Belphemon huh nice.

Lucemon is the last one to get that mutant form right?

Oh awesome he's a polar bear now! Thanksfor ripping all these models as by the way, I'll never play a mobile game and seeing a new Digimon makes my day even if it's a recolour.
    Edit: Does anyone know what colour Belphemon's mutation laser claws are or are they the same?
    Last edited by flintlock; 07-24-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    Edit: Does anyone know what colour Belphemon's mutation laser claws are or are they the same?
    The skill? It’s always the same thing, only the models change.

Wow, Belphemon looks really good in white, it almost makes me wish these variants were available in some way.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I'm really glad you made extracting animations possible again Theigno, it was a letdown when you said it was impossible when it was first brought up, but I'm glad it worked out. Looking forward to see them!

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3138394041424344 ... LastLast