With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon Adventure Tri. Evolution

Ain't got no mojo... Digimon'sDigitalWill's Avatar

Digimon Adventure Tri. Evolution

I would like to use this thread to discuss about Evolutions in Digimon Adventure Tri. including Chosen Children's Character Arcs, The Digimon Evolution Moment, and The Digimon Evolution Sequence.

First off, Determination suggests that Ultimate Evolution is accessed through solving Characters' Flaws. I find this interesting as Perfect Evolution was about maximizing or realising Characters' Crests, their outstanding attributes. Coincidentally or intentionally, it seems that Ultimate Evolution Sequence seems to be quick in changing forms in the same posture or stance as the characters declaring their resolutions. Another thing is that it seems like conflicts are the opposite of their crests so far. Taichi and Yamato having Courage and Friendship issue aside, Mimi's Crest is Purity/Sincerity, but her flaw is being Self-Centered/not caring for others in the pure sense. Jou's Crest is Sincerity/Reliability, but his flaw is being a coward/running away, thus, not reliable. It is nice that Ultimate Evolution does seem to have resonance/resonate with the Characters' maturity versus problems.

Personally, I feel like the Warp Evolution Sequence from Digimon Adventure Game is more intricate, but I like the fact that they are evolving from Perfect to Ultimate.
    Last edited by Digimon'sDigitalWill; 03-16-2016 at 12:22 PM.

I'm going digital
    Visit DigitalCorp's Youtube Channel
    Speaking of evolution, I wonder if we're going to be seeing Pegasusmon and Nefertimon in these movies. Patamon and Gatomon are the only ones who can Armor Digivolve.

I kinda feel like the Ultimate Evolutions being "unlocked" the way they were in tri. Chapter 2 was a little too easily handled. For the Warp Evolutions of Agumon and Gabumon to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, unlocking them took a vaguely-defined miracle attached to a suicidal prophecy. For Paildramon's Ultimate Evolution to Imperialdramon, it took a divine power boost granted by one of the Digital World's ruling gods, and a second dosage of it later to unlock his Fighter Mode. But here? Vikemon and Rosemon appear because Jyou and Mimi merely figure out what's wrong with how they've been thinking and acting? That's really not as impressive as the other two examples were.

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon'sDigitalWill View Post
    Jou's Crest is Sincerity/Reliability, but his flaw is being a coward/running away, thus, not reliable. It is nice that Ultimate Evolution does seem to have resonance/resonate with the Characters' maturity versus problems.
    It's not so much that he was being unreliable. Jyou was lying to himself about what he prioritized as important. Deep down he really wanted to help, but because he had placed the weight of the world of entering adulthood on his shoulder, he convinced himself that he wasn't needed and that it wasn't his fight to begin with. He kept pushing Gomamon and the others away, thinking that setting aside his duties as a Chosen Child would make things like his constant studying easier for him. But when Gomamon actually left him and gave him the space he needing to focus better on his studies, he couldn't focus since all he could think about was Gomamon. When Hikari confronted him about his needing a reason for why he was chosen, she helped him to remember that his and Gomamon being partners was all the reason he needed, that his pushing away Gomamon, his friends, and his being Chosen only made things worse for him. His thinking that pushing away Gomamon, his friends, and his being Chosen was him being insincere towards himself, with his true sincerity coming to fruition when he came back for Gomamon during the Imperialdramon battle in spite of his constant study requirements.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

I'm going digital
    Visit DigitalCorp's Youtube Channel
    And in dub terms, Kari helped Joe realize that his friends and Gomamon relied on him heavily and that he should be there. (At least, I think that's how the dub will shape it.)

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrblade View Post
    I kinda feel like the Ultimate Evolutions being "unlocked" the way they were in tri. Chapter 2 was a little too easily handled. For the Warp Evolutions of Agumon and Gabumon to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, unlocking them took a vaguely-defined miracle attached to a suicidal prophecy. For Paildramon's Ultimate Evolution to Imperialdramon, it took a divine power boost granted by one of the Digital World's ruling gods, and a second dosage of it later to unlock his Fighter Mode. But here? Vikemon and Rosemon appear because Jyou and Mimi merely figure out what's wrong with how they've been thinking and acting? That's really not as impressive as the other two examples were.
    On the contrary, I prefer how Vikemon and Rosemon were handled as WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, and Imperialdramon all felt very impersonal/detached from the children themselves.

Ain't got no mojo...
    IDK bout you but character growth is more impressive than divine intervention imo.

If it was that easy for Jyou and Mimi to unlock their respective digimon partner's Ultimate forms, then everyone ought to have done so a long time ago.

The divinity involved in the unlocking of WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, and Imperialdramon fits in with the notion that the Ultimate level is a nigh-unattainable level that is the stuff of legend. It should not be so easily reachable for just any digimon. The Perfect level is called "Perfect" ("Kanzentai") for a reason, as that form is supposed to be the form that most digimon should strive to achieve as their long term evolutionary end goal, as the Ultimate level is a form beyond the best, beyond nature, beyond all usual possibility.

Reaching that form shouldn't be taken so lightly, yet Gomamon and Palmon both reached their Ultimates in such a casual manner like it was nothing, with very little fanfare even. Whereas the first appearances of WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, and Imperialdramon were treated as momentous, miraculous, and grandiose spectacles full of shock and awe.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

If it was that easy for Jyou and Mimi to unlock their respective digimon partner's Ultimate forms, then everyone ought to have done so a long time ago.

Well it's obviously the Chosen Childen didn't evolve to ultimate because of the huge leap in time from when the shows were created and the writers had all different intents in mind so personally it doesn't bother me at all. Everyone apparently completely forgot that Tri had its own prophecy similar to the one for WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. So you guys are wrong. It was the result of a prophecized divine miracle and not just character development. It was all possibly implied part of Hackmon's plan too so that makes a difference.

Also in Adventure Leomon just got an Ultimate form for no real divine reason along with MetalEtemon.

Would you rather them not evolve at all past what we saw in Adventure?

Junior Commander
    Joe nearly has a mental breakdown and cries in the rain. He chases away his Digimon partner. He admits to hating himself. He's facing the pressure of Japanese society (heck, society in general) to grow up and contribute and do something that others see as valuable, and he's also facing the lies that he tells himself about himself. And you think that's easy?

The same goes for Mimi, though to a lesser degree. She doesn't have a breakdown, but she deals with guilt, with feeling isolated in what should be her home country, with the lie she tells herself that she is selfish and she forces her own version of happiness onto others. Mimi, like Joe, starts to detest herself.

Both of these kids quite literally start to hate themselves before they learn to accept their flaws and see them in a new light, seeing their flaws as something that contribute to their overall personalities and they learn that THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE despite all of that. Now, the resolutions to their character arcs were indeed a bit rushed, so I don't blame you if you didn't get the full scope of what happened to Mimi and Joe...but it is NOT easy to go through that.

Ain't got no mojo... FarmerRaguna's Avatar
    I have to disagree on the argument that "If it's not a miracle, they could've reached it before". For me, it's way easier to see it as, if there was no "prophecy" and "miracles" for Taichi and Yamato, they would've never been able to reach that level either, because the kids in Digimon Adventure just did not have the level of maturity and ability to face their own inner demons to reach that point with their Digimon. As Jyou himself says, "We were the ones holding the Digimon back", or something along those lines. That, for me, shows why the digidestined would be only now getting their Ultimate evolutions.

And, like AquaVersus said, both Mimi and Jyou had to face some "inner demons" to be able to reach that point. The way the events unfolded, and how the world around them seemed to act upon that "uglier side" they have shown after reaching this level of maturity made they look at themselves with some sort of disgust, and the movie was centered about, guess it, the determination to turn that image of themselves around, to be able to grow stronger and face the challenge before them. I thought that, as rushed as the resolution was, the Ultimate evolution felt very well deserved for them. Almost felt like Persona 4, when the character of the dungeon receives their Persona after accepting their shadow. I just hope they cover a wide array of different problems with the rest of the cast, so their evolutions feel fresh, even though we know they're coming.

I personally can't wait for Seraphimon and Ophanimon's appearances.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast