With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Manga: Cardcaptor Sakura)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Finished another new show recently.

Demon Detective Nougami Neuro
    This was an interesting one, not quite what I was expecting, but enjoyable once I got used to it. It's not necessarily a show I'd recommend if you're interested in actual mystery, since the solution of the crimes Neuro investigates (or at least their perpetrators) tend to be pretty obvious. On the whole the show was a bit sillier than I expected it to be, but that's not really a bad thing. There were several times the slapstick elements made me laugh. After a few episodes I was familiar with its quirks (like the goofy transformations the murderers undergo when they're exposed) and wound up really enjoying it. There was a minor plot hole or two, probably attributable to the adaptation process. I would like to read the manga eventually, which is one of those that wasn't finished when the anime aired, but sadly it doesn't seem to be available in English. Last thing I have to say about the series is an interesting bit of trivia: Neuro's "family name" is fittingly made up of the kanji for "brain" and "chew."

Currently I'm taking a bit of a break from anime. I recently bought the four-book omnibus version of the Cardcaptor Sakura manga, and I've been reading that. Currently about halfway through the second book. When I'm finished, I may go ahead and start on Clear Card, though I'm unsure about that, since it's still being published.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net
    Clear Card sure was something. I wonder if they'll ever air any more of it.

I caught up on this manga a while back, but have been too busy lately to post about it in this thread.

Cardcaptor Sakura
    I'd been told that the manga was basically a condensed version of the anime adaptation, but I found that there were enough differences in incident and dialogue that it felt fresh. It was good, of course. I miss having the full deck of cards being a thing, but it cuts down on filler (even among the cards that do get used in the manga there are some minor redundancies). One difference from the anime I found particularly interesting, since it sort of solved a minor mystery that I had previously wondered about. Specifically, in the manga we learn that Clow Reed was actually reincarnated as two separate people, one of course being Eriol and the other being Sakura's father. This goes a little way towards explaining how the Clow Cards wound up in Sakura's father's possession. Previously I'd figured that maybe it was related to his work as an archaeologist, despite the cards' relatively recent origin. The double reincarnation thing may also explain why Sakura's magical powers are so great. After finishing the original manga, I went on to read what's been published of the sequel, Clear Card. That was really my reason for reading in the first place, since I'd been spoiled on something in Clear Card that was different from the anime version. That anime, by the way, has for the most part been a faithful adaptation of the currently published parts of the manga, with only a few additional cards/episodes added compared to the first series. The next volume of Clear Card is due to be released next month, so I have that to look forward to.

Well, now that Marc's started another leadup, this thread will be going on hiatus for a while, at least as far as I'm concerned. If any of you guys are watching new anime or reading new manga in the meantime that aren't part of the new leadup, feel free to keep sharing your thoughts here.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Figured I'd go ahead and update now instead of falling behind like last time.Food Battler Soma: The Third PlateJust finished watching this. I went ahead and watched both cours of the season, so any spoilers will be for The Third Plate as a whole. In a way it felt similar to the fourth season of Full Metal Panic!, which I watched not long ago. Here, as there, we have a new antagonist introduced who ups the stakes considerably, which makes the show exciting to watch, but a little more nervewracking than it was previously. Azami has a pretty impressive presence for a guy who's just a glorified food snob (also, the way he refers to himself with "boku" kind of weirds me out). But anyway, I liked the season very much, and I'm interested to see where it goes next. I had predicted after the Team Shokugeki was suggested that the rest of the season would be them finishing up the standard elimination rounds, but I'm glad that they decided to jump right into the Team Shokugeki. They didn't finish it though, of course, so now we're stuck waiting for the conclusion. I wonder, if the rebels win the contest, what comes next, or if anything comes next. Once you've overthrown Food Hitler you've kind of reached a peak, but on the other hand Soma's still only in his first year. For now, it's farewell to Food Wars, until I can get hold of the latest OVA.Next I guess I'll be watching the fourth season of High School DxD, even though it feels like I saw the third not that long ago. It's not my favorite show, but it'll do. By the way, I'm hoping to watch Persona 5: The Animation soon, and I was wondering... would people who have seen both that series and Persona 5: The Day Breakers recommend watching the former first or the latter? Or is it possible to slot Day Breakers in at some appropriate place in the main series?
    Well, I really liked season 4 because of its animation and adaptation of the novel. The series was so damn good! Now I am just waiting the HighSchool DxD Season 5which is maybe coming next year or so. Looking forward to watching this Masterpiece!

Well, my hiatus was brief, as it turned out. Voltron, this week's show on the Last Evolution Leadup, didn't really appeal to me, so except for the first episode of it, which I made myself watch last night, I spent much of this week watching the third season of a show I was rewatching when the new Leadup was announced. I figured I'd forget everything I'd rewatched if I didn't watch it soon, so I was rather happy to have an excuse.

Date a Live III
    It was good to get back to one of the earlier anime I watched and see the story progress a little further. There's not much to say about my opinion of the show's quality. I still like it well. There's some ecchi stuff, but it's not as constant or obtrusive as it is in other shows like High School DxD (which I'm pretty much only keeping up with now to see how mythological stuff gets represented), so I don't mind it. During my rewatch of the show's earlier seasons, I realized for the first time that each of the Spirits represents a different sphere of the Sephiroth (and the Qliphoth, when they become "inverted"), so that was interesting to note as I watched. I suppose that in the end there will be a total of ten Spirits (or rather eleven). One more season and we may have our full cast assembled. It would be interesting, though it's a little messed up to say it, to see the rest of the Spirits invert eventually, though a little less interesting on account of the inverted angels' (demons'?) names being guessable. I hope a fourth season is announced before too long, to see where things go next. I wonder if the changing of the timeline will cause any trouble (or at least confusion) in the future. I know if I were Itsuka, I'd go over past events carefully with Kotori and the rest to see if there were any significant differences I should know about. But I won't be surprised if the writers don't deal with the oddities of the situation too much in future.

Not sure what I'll be watching next, since, after all, that's up to Marc. As for reading, there's a new volume of Clear Card out now, though it doesn't have a Kindle version yet. Hopefully it won't take long to get one, since that's the format I have the other five volumes in.
    MY PROJECTS

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112