With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Summer Wars)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Figured I'd go ahead and update now instead of falling behind like last time.

Food Battler Soma: The Third Plate
    Just finished watching this. I went ahead and watched both cours of the season, so any spoilers will be for The Third Plate as a whole. In a way it felt similar to the fourth season of Full Metal Panic!, which I watched not long ago. Here, as there, we have a new antagonist introduced who ups the stakes considerably, which makes the show exciting to watch, but a little more nervewracking than it was previously. Azami has a pretty impressive presence for a guy who's just a glorified food snob (also, the way he refers to himself with "boku" kind of weirds me out). But anyway, I liked the season very much, and I'm interested to see where it goes next. I had predicted after the Team Shokugeki was suggested that the rest of the season would be them finishing up the standard elimination rounds, but I'm glad that they decided to jump right into the Team Shokugeki. They didn't finish it though, of course, so now we're stuck waiting for the conclusion. I wonder, if the rebels win the contest, what comes next, or if anything comes next. Once you've overthrown Food Hitler you've kind of reached a peak, but on the other hand Soma's still only in his first year. For now, it's farewell to Food Wars, until I can get hold of the latest OVA.

Next I guess I'll be watching the fourth season of High School DxD, even though it feels like I saw the third not that long ago. It's not my favorite show, but it'll do. By the way, I'm hoping to watch Persona 5: The Animation soon, and I was wondering... would people who have seen both that series and Persona 5: The Day Breakers recommend watching the former first or the latter? Or is it possible to slot Day Breakers in at some appropriate place in the main series?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Depends really. Daybreakers is really just a glorified advert for the game which involves the crew tackling a side quest to give you an idea of what the game is about and some of the characters.

It's not required viewing at all to understand anything in The Animation but if you really do want to watch it regardless then it occurs sometime between the events of episodes 8-10 judging by who's in the party during the OVA.

I see. Thank you!
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Alright, time for some more commentary on what I've watched. This time I'm going to try and avoid redacting most of what I say, but as usual, there will be spoiler tags in use.

High School DxD Hero
    Apart from the usual gratuitous ecchi stuff, I liked this season fairly well. There is one other fault that I tend to find with the series as a whole, and that's the way that concepts, characters, and groups seem to be introduced in a somewhat haphazard fashion, only to drop off the radar not long afterward, until perhaps they show up at some other random point further along. I don't know if this was something inherent in the light novels that the anime was adapted from, or if it was caused by adapting things into television show format. But anyway, the action was good, and it was nice to see more mythological entities get anime-ized. Hades as a skeleton dude was kind of odd, but I get that they were going for a generic god of death sort of thing, and I hope that eventually we'll get to see him do something instead of being forgotten about. I wonder if there's ever been an anime version of Mictlantecuhtli, which is what I thought of when I saw this show's Hades. If not, they should do it sometime, if only because I bet hearing a Japanese person try to pronounce Mictlantecuhtli would be hilarious. By the way, it seems to me that having Heracles in a humans-only organization is kind of cheating. I wonder if he and Sairaorg's Nemean Lion will ever meet in battle.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card
    This, of course, is the long-delayed sequel to the original Cardcaptor Sakura. I really enjoyed it, though with some reservations. I don't think that it's necessarily a decline in general quality from the original series, but in some ways it felt a little too close to its predecessor, so that some of the former charm of originality was gone. I felt also that a few of the early episodes suffered from the same issue I had with much of Appmon, where the stakes felt too low. The show definitely picked up in its second half, though. After sort of seeing a plot twist coming when I watched the first series, I was eager to see if I could replicate my success here, so I spent most of my time wondering whether the solution to the central mystery was as obvious as it appeared. I remember hearing Akiho say that she was in Japan to find a certain book and thinking, "Does this book have cards in it, by any chance?" I wondered whether Akiho was a magician, with Kaito and Momo being her Yue/Ruby and Cerberus/Spinel familiars, respectively. I also kept waiting to see Akiho's creepy plush toy finally stir. In the end I don't think I can really give myself props for anything. While watching, I wasn't aware that the Clear Card manga was still ongoing, and so was somewhat disappointed and somewhat relieved that the show didn't try and wrap up the plot already. I was wondering how they planned to address everything that needed explaining with so few episodes left. Here's hoping it doesn't take 18 years for the next continuation.

Summer Wars
    I felt that as a Digimon fan I should watch this movie at some point, since it's so famous for being a non-Digimon reworking of Children's War Game. Seeing War Game didn't quite prepare me for this as well as I'd assumed it would. I knew that there would be a lot more worldbuilding in general, since the movie wasn't tied into an existing series. What did surprise me was how successful Hosoda was at taking the premise of a Digimon movie and turning it into actual art. It's a film I wouldn't mind watching with people like my parents who aren't really interested in anime. Apart from general quality, I was also surprised to find the movie as incredibly moving as I did. Maybe the fact that I'd been awake for 20 hours after a short night of sleep had something to do with it, but I actually cried at one point (when Grandma's letter to her family was being read, in case anyone's wondering). I get misty-eyed watching things now and again, but something I've watched hasn't truly made me cry for many, many years. Suffice it to say, I really loved the movie, and I'm considering watching more of Hosoda's work in future.

That gets me caught up. What's everyone else been watching/reading?
    MY PROJECTS

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    It really is a terrific film. I've actually bought it as a secret santa gift for a work colleague. (It was a toss-up between that, Isle of Dogs, or Wolf Children.)

It's the part where everyone starts lending the family their accounts to beat Love Machine that always gets me choked up. Something about humanity banding together and showing it's heroic and caring side really gets me. Same in the original Digimon film. I think that's part of what makes the fusion scene so powerful.

And yeah, the rest of his catalogue is great too. Wolf Children is especially beautiful.
    Though I think Summer Wars is my favourite, as it has a great balance of drama and action sequences.
    Last edited by McGann; 12-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

I come from the net
    Funny story, I actually saw Summer Wars on TV when it was also my birthday. Good movie.
    Oh, can anyone talk about what they've seen recently? It's been 10 pages so I kind of forgot.

Yeah, anyone’s free to talk about what they’v been watching (or reading, in the case of manga).

I come from the net
    OK. It's December so it's time to finish shows. Besides western shows:
    I finished Blue Exorcist the Kyoto Chapter. Which was pretty much more of the series. Watch it if you liked the first.

I watched all available episodes of Double Decker Doug and Kirill. It's a buddy cop action comedy from the Tiger and Bunny people. If you liked that, watch this. It's somehow connected. Also much like the fire character in that, there's a few characters that are different then the "norm". At least in a backstory.

I also watched all of available eps of SSSS Gridman. Since I saw the US adaptation of Gridman and my twitter timeline really likes it. But except for the obvious river field trip, it's not as... Well the style of fanart is mostly due to the fans, not the show. Like usual.

So next? Not sure. Have to wait and see.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910