With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Persona 5)

I come from the net
    Huh. You're right. I have not heard of that last one. But that last line there does sound funny. It's one of those lines.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I'm moving right along...

Persona 5: The Animation
    I'm now all caught up on Persona anime. I watched the whole series, with the concluding specials, and inserted The Day Breakers between episodes 9 and 10. By a funny coincidence, I finished watching the night that Joker was released for Super Smash Bros. I liked the series, despite knowing the general plot beforehand, which I don't think was the case with the others. In a way, it's a shame, given the plot's various twists and pseudo-twists, but I started reading about the game before a full anime was announced. People seem not to have had many nice things to say about this adaptation, and while I agree that it isn't quite as good as Persona 4's anime was, I thought it held up alright. The only negative thing I can really say about it is that at times it did feel a little rushed, probably because it's the same length as the Persona 4 anime, but there's more ground to cover in terms of plot. If you think about it, unlike in Persona 4 where the "boss fights" were with the protagonists' own Shadows, in Persona 5 both a protagonist and a villain needed to be introduced for each Palace, so there wasn't as much room for the slice-of-life kind of stuff (which Persona 4 was already a little heavy on, anyway).

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle / Godzilla: The Planet Eater
    These are the second and third entries in the trilogy of animated Godzilla movies, the first of which I watched about half a year ago. I figured I'd watch them back-to-back, so as to finish the trilogy with the second film fresh in my memory. As in the first film, there were several call-backs to the live action movies. Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, and (in a manner of speaking) Mothra all make appearances, but are distinct from their usual depictions. Mechagodzilla, which we saw under construction in the first movie's opening before Godzilla wrecked its creators' facility, has evolved into the titular city of the second movie, while Ghidorah is an extradimensional being with no physical body. The two races of humanoid aliens from the first movie eventually show themselves to be less than trustworthy, which shouldn't perhaps be very surprising, since aliens in Godzilla movies almost always turn out to be bastards. It seems pretty clear that the Exif, who are revealed to worship Ghidorah, were inspired by the Xiliens. I think that, of the three movies, the last is probably the weakest, since it can drag in places, but it was still a good watch. The series ends on a somewhat pessimistic note, putting one in mind of the original Godzilla. I didn't really expect a "happy ending" anyway, since humanity was already pretty much wiped out, and the series has an interesting narrative arc.

I considered watching the third season of A Certain Magical Index next. It's been a while since I've watched either it or Railgun, however, and I'm not sure whether or not I should rewatch anything to prepare myself for it. I considered rewatching the main series and its spinoff with the episodes in roughly chronological order, but I know that the spinoff is going to be getting a third season before long, and a second spinoff is going to be getting its first season, so I'm not sure what to do. In the end I decided to kick the problem on down the road. Instead my next watch will be Death Note, a non-leadup-related series that sounds interesting (and which of course is well-known and well-liked).
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net
    Yeah, Death Note should be good. ...Just watch the anime and nothing US based. ...Maybe some of the JPN LA stuff.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011