With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Demon Detective Nougami Neuro)

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Since you're taking suggestions, how about Fate/Zero? At the risk of sounding biased, it is the perfect anime (or at least, something very close to it), and a series that any anime-fan ought to watch at least once. That being said, points which might sour you on the series include:

• How expositiony the series is (with the first episode being an almost-literal documentary of the world-building and backstories involved).
    • Fate/Zero taking place in a multiverse with much prior world-building, making briefly-mentioned concepts (such as The Root) likely to confound.
    • How much of a bastard Zouken is. I cannot stress enough that this part of the show redefines effed up.

Beyond that, it is formidably well-made, both in terms of visuals and character-work, and reminiscent of a blend between FMA and Hellsing (I mean, really, Fate/Zero is the only other anime where you can find a man of the church who uses swords and is physically superhuman battling a gun-toting dark-haired man in a trench-coat who has previously killed vampires, one of the pair being voiced by Crispin Freeman in its dub).

The Fate franchise has the same problem as Macross.

A large portion of fans think it's far better and unique than it is.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I love FMA:B, I prefer Fate/Stay UBW to Fate/Zero but I think both are great, the animation on both especially UBW is some of the best if not the best for a TV series I have seen my whole life. UBW is one of my personal favourite series.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'll look into the Fate franchise and see if it's something I might be interested in.

A-Channel +smile

Not much to say about this one, though of course it was cute and amusing. It's really a shame that A-Channel's anime adaptation has so little to it.

Cowboy Bebop
    On the recommendation of its creator, this became one of the few shows that I watched dubbed rather than in the original Japanese. It really made sense given the characters, the setting, and the themes it drew on. I actually saw the (rented) Bebop movie years ago; I forget why. But it was nice to see the series proper, which I'd previously only caught a single syndicated episode of (episode 23). I found the series very entertaining, though maybe not quite as great as the hype surrounding it would imply. The main characters were fun, and certain episodes, such as the one with Mad Pierrot, were especially excellent. That episode, actually, was one of two I noticed where the Japanese title and English title differed. Episode 11 was "A Dark Night's Heavy Rock" in Japanese and "Toys in the Attic" in English, while episode 20 was "Clown's Requiem" in Japanese and "Pierrot le Fou" in English. The music was interesting, and I love the opening theme, which certainly sets Bebop's apart from other anime openings. The only minor gripe I have about the series is with its ending, [SPOILERS]which does a good (if sad) job of wrapping up Spike's character/story arc but seems rather abrupt, leaving me feeling almost that Jet and Faye, at least, had been left in the lurch.[/SPOILERS] But like I said, it's not a big deal. Partway through watching it, I learned that it shared a director with Samurai Champloo (though not an animation team, apparently; the foreheads are much more reasonable), and could see the similarities between the two series, right down to their titles. Anyway, after finishing the main series I went and rewatched the movie, which I think is a damn good movie, and once again I loved its music. How exactly one would determine what Martian day is Halloween, though, I'm not sure.

Well, I think that's about it. Next I plan to watch the anime adaptation of Devil Survivor 2.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'll look into the Fate franchise and see if it's something I might be interested in.
    I now predict that TMS will go, at least a few of the following:

• "What is Kara No Kyoukai / Tsukihime / non-Fate Nasuverse works and how does it fit into anything?"
    • "How does magic work here?"
    • "What the hell is up with 5HF Archer?"
    • "So that's where that Unlimited x Works meme comes from"
    • "Are all the titles just 'Fate/(random words)'?"
    • "So this stuff replaces goggles with blondes?"
    • "The author is trolling."
    • get a bucket upon realizing that Zouken Matou makes a pair of psychopaths doing ritualized child-killing seem like preferable baby-sitters.
    • "4HF Archer is OP-as-crap-plz-nerf."
    Last edited by Xadhoom; 07-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.

I come from the net
    I think we all(those who've seen it, which I'm sure is a good deal) saw Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim. And it's very good. Possibly one of the only ones to fit both a possible live action movie and something to show people who don't watch anime. It's really, really good.

Devil Survivor 2: The Animation
    I rather enjoyed this one, perhaps a bit better than I thought I would. Post-apocalyptic stuff doesn't usually interest me much, but I liked the way it was handled here. I don't have any major complaints to make, though there were so many characters that not all of them got the attention they deserved, and it kept their deaths from having the emotional impact it could have; I found myself mostly just disappointed that they hadn't stuck around longer for development. But erasing them from the ending sequence was a neat touch, and I liked how by the last episode only Hibiki and Yamato were left at each end. Two things interested me in particular about the anime. The first was being able to read afterwards about the differences between it and the game, and how things were changed around to take advantage of the new medium. The second was the long-awaited return of Cthulhu Mythos references in the form of JP's' Alaozar firewall system, where each layer is named after a different deity (or forms/epithets of Nyarlathotep, in the case of layer 8's sub-layers). Fittingly, the first two are Lloigor and Zhar, which dwelt beneath the lost city of Alaozar in "Lair of the Star-Spawn," the August Derleth story in which the three debuted. I know no one cares, but just for the hell of it I'll go ahead and list the whole schema here.

ALAOZAR
    1. Lloigor
    2. Zhar
    3. Cthugha (another Derleth creation; appears in "The Dweller in Darkness")
    4. Hastur (name used in various contexts by Ambrose Bierce, Robert W. Chambers, Lovecraft, Derleth, and others)
    5. Cthulhu
    6. Tsathoggua (Clark Ashton Smith deity; appears in "The Seven Geases")
    7. Ubbo-Sathla (from the eponymous story by Smith)
    8. Nyarlathotep (Lovecraft deity of many forms)
    8.0. Ahtu (Nyarlathotep avatar invented by David Drake)
    8.1. Crawling Chaos (common epithet for Nyarlathotep)
    8.2. The Faceless God (Nyarlathotep form from Robert Bloch's story of the same name)
    8.3. Dweller in Darkness (from the aforementioned Derleth story)
    8.4. Bloated Woman (from the Call of Cthulhu campaign Masks of Nyarlathotep)
    8.5. Howler in the Dark
    8.6. Dark One (mentioned in RPG publications)
    8.7. The King in Yellow (from Robert W. Chambers; usually considered an avatar of Hastur)
    8.8. The Black Messenger of Karneter (epithet from "The Faceless God")
    8.9. Nephren-Ka (Lovecraft's fictional Pharaoh; identified with Nyarlathotep in Masks of Nyarlathotep)
    9. Yog-Sothoth (major Lovecraft deity mentioned in "The Dunwich Horror" and other stories)
    10. Azathoth (the "blind idiot god," Lord of All Things, from Lovecraft's stories)

Anyway, as a last note, the fact that the anime's final battle was between Lucifer and Satan struck me as kind of funny.

Next I'll be watching Crawling! Nyaruani: Remember My Love(craft-sensei), the first Nyaruko anime series adaptation (even though the second adaptation was technically the one that people told me I should watch). This anime at least is guaranteed to have Cthulhu Mythos references in it. I'm sure it'll be very respectful of and attentive to Lovecraft canon.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Next I'll be watching Crawling! Nyaruani: Remember My Love(craft-sensei), the first Nyaruko anime series adaptation (even though the second adaptation was technically the one that people told me I should watch). This anime at least is guaranteed to have Cthulhu Mythos references in it. I'm sure it'll be very respectful of and attentive to Lovecraft canon.
    Beyond the core conceit of them being cute anime girls (and occasionally, very effeminate anime boys) who are about as big anime-nerds as the viewers, I guess that could be true.

I was just joking, though probably you knew that. At any rate, I'll be able to form my first impression when I watch the first couple episodes tonight. Last night I read another volume of Excel Saga instead, since I'd been neglecting it for a while. As of volume 13, its plot is starting to kick into high gear, and a number of longstanding questions have begun to be answered (assuming Kabapu isn't a lunatic, as his employees seem to think). Its also started to get funnier again these last few volumes, after having dragged a bit the few before that. At its best, the manga is hilarious, and I laughed aloud a number of times last night. Definitely better than the anime.
    MY PROJECTS

I come from the net
    Yay. You're watching Nyaruko. That's a fun show and there's a whole blog about the references.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast