With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Demon Detective Nougami Neuro)

I come from the net
    Huh. You're right. I have not heard of that last one. But that last line there does sound funny. It's one of those lines.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I'm moving right along...

Persona 5: The Animation
    I'm now all caught up on Persona anime. I watched the whole series, with the concluding specials, and inserted The Day Breakers between episodes 9 and 10. By a funny coincidence, I finished watching the night that Joker was released for Super Smash Bros. I liked the series, despite knowing the general plot beforehand, which I don't think was the case with the others. In a way, it's a shame, given the plot's various twists and pseudo-twists, but I started reading about the game before a full anime was announced. People seem not to have had many nice things to say about this adaptation, and while I agree that it isn't quite as good as Persona 4's anime was, I thought it held up alright. The only negative thing I can really say about it is that at times it did feel a little rushed, probably because it's the same length as the Persona 4 anime, but there's more ground to cover in terms of plot. If you think about it, unlike in Persona 4 where the "boss fights" were with the protagonists' own Shadows, in Persona 5 both a protagonist and a villain needed to be introduced for each Palace, so there wasn't as much room for the slice-of-life kind of stuff (which Persona 4 was already a little heavy on, anyway).

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle / Godzilla: The Planet Eater
    These are the second and third entries in the trilogy of animated Godzilla movies, the first of which I watched about half a year ago. I figured I'd watch them back-to-back, so as to finish the trilogy with the second film fresh in my memory. As in the first film, there were several call-backs to the live action movies. Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, and (in a manner of speaking) Mothra all make appearances, but are distinct from their usual depictions. Mechagodzilla, which we saw under construction in the first movie's opening before Godzilla wrecked its creators' facility, has evolved into the titular city of the second movie, while Ghidorah is an extradimensional being with no physical body. The two races of humanoid aliens from the first movie eventually show themselves to be less than trustworthy, which shouldn't perhaps be very surprising, since aliens in Godzilla movies almost always turn out to be bastards. It seems pretty clear that the Exif, who are revealed to worship Ghidorah, were inspired by the Xiliens. I think that, of the three movies, the last is probably the weakest, since it can drag in places, but it was still a good watch. The series ends on a somewhat pessimistic note, putting one in mind of the original Godzilla. I didn't really expect a "happy ending" anyway, since humanity was already pretty much wiped out, and the series has an interesting narrative arc.

I considered watching the third season of A Certain Magical Index next. It's been a while since I've watched either it or Railgun, however, and I'm not sure whether or not I should rewatch anything to prepare myself for it. I considered rewatching the main series and its spinoff with the episodes in roughly chronological order, but I know that the spinoff is going to be getting a third season before long, and a second spinoff is going to be getting its first season, so I'm not sure what to do. In the end I decided to kick the problem on down the road. Instead my next watch will be Death Note, a non-leadup-related series that sounds interesting (and which of course is well-known and well-liked).
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net
    Yeah, Death Note should be good. ...Just watch the anime and nothing US based. ...Maybe some of the JPN LA stuff.

Alright, I've watched two new anime in succession. I don't think either of them needs much in the way of an introduction.

Death Note
    This is a somewhat unusual series. While their premises are unrelated, it struck me as having some similarities with the Netflix series House of Cards, which I caught some of when my parents were watching through it. In both series, the protagonist is the bad guy, or at least one of the bad guys, and he has to use his wits to keep his machinations a secret. Contrary to my parents' experience with the protagonist of House of Cards, though, I never found myself rooting for Light. To some extent, especially early on in the series, I didn't get terribly invested in it emotionally, because there were so few likeable characters. It was more like watching a game of chess than anything. As the show went on I did start liking the characters more, even Light, amusingly enough, when he temporarily lost his memory of the Death Note. It was weird to see how different his personality was during that period. It makes you wonder if he was always a psychopath, or if the power of the Death Note unhinged him. Ryuk was fun, even though his is often a background role. While amoral, he was honest about his motivation, without any of Light's hypocritical self-righteousness. I liked L, too, questionable though his methods sometimes were. The ending was the emotional high-spot for me, unsurprisingly. After L's death I was pretty much just watching to see Light get what was coming to him. And he did, of course, and it was cathartic, and then you almost feel a little sorry for him in the very last scene, in spite of everything. It's hinted that he regrets his lost innocence. Overall a good show, and I'm interested in looking into some of the tie-in material. In fact, just this evening I ordered two Death Note novels. The live-action stuff doesn't really appeal to me.

Fruits Basket
    I thought I'd follow up Death Note with something a little lighter in tone, and went with this. Just to be clear, what I watched was the original anime adaptation that aired while the manga was still being published. The main draw for me, as will probably surprise no one, was the use of the Chinese zodiac, which of course played a role in Digimon Tamers. I've considered making use of the mythology surrounding it in some of my own work too, so I was interested in seeing how this series handled it, especially since the tardy cat of the legends was included. Entertainment-wise, the show was nice overall. I enjoyed it throughout, though in my opinion it did comedy slightly better than it did drama. The character personalities were fun, and Toru was cute but a little too perfect to be as interesting as some of the others. I was a tad disappointed that we didn't get to meet all 13 of our animals, but I suppose there's always the new adaptation to look forward to once it's finished airing.

I'm currently looking to add some new shows to my "to-watch" list, besides the various sequel series that I've yet to see or that haven't aired or finished airing yet. Two anime I've gone ahead and added are Dream Eater Merry (which I intend to watch next) and Demon Detective Nogami Neuro, both of which I know little about but which sound like the sort of thing I would enjoy. With a view to finding other shows I might want to try, I've also been looking at the old comedy fan-series AMV Hell, which I watched and enjoyed as a kid before ever being a real anime fan (it was actually AMV Hell that inspired me to give Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, and Death Note a try). I've been looking up the synopses of various shows on MAL, and so far I've made a very tentative list of some I may eventually give a shot, besides the ones recommended to me by fellow WtW members. Of the following anime, are there any that you guys have seen and would particularly recommend to me (or advise me not to watch)?

Battle Athletess Daiundoukai
    Child's Toy
    Chunibyo demo Koi ga Shitai!
    Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita)
    Hare & Guu
    Invasion!? Squid Girl
    Magical Girl Madoka Magica
    Nichijou
    Paranoia Agent
    Read or Die
    Rozen Maiden
    Sayonara, Zetsubo-sensei
    Shugo Chara!
    Super Gals
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Twin Spica
    When the Cicadas Cry
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Of the following anime, are there any that you guys have seen and would particularly recommend to me (or advise me not to watch)?
    While the Madoka anime is excellent, I would advise steering clear of the sequel movie. It ruins the tv anime's ending in order to set up sequels that ultimately never happened anyways thus rendering the film itself pointless.

Otherwise the rest of that list looks okay, a few gems but mostly mediocre (but enjoyable) shows.

Which are the gems, if you donít mind my asking?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Which are the gems, if you donít mind my asking?
    Granted this is my own bias, but I would say that Madoka, Paranoia Agent, Gurren Lagann and Sayonara, Zetsubo-sensei notably stand above the rest in terms of quality.

I would say When They Cry as well, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the anime adaptation. In fact, while the anime is serviceable, I would recommend playing the Visual Novel (available on Steam) instead unless you really are averse to that style of storytelling.

My two cents about some of the shows...

Chunibyo
    I only watched the first season and felt it was pretty generic. High school boy meets weird girl, bla bla, conveniently absent parents bla bla. Doesn't help that I felt that the way the show approached its main theme and the stance it takes on it felt just utterly retarded, but that might just be me.

Paranoia Agent
    Thematically Paranoia Agent might just be the perfect counterpoint to Chunibyo. Since the series originated as concepts for different projects different episodes sometimes feel disconnected, and sometimes it feels almost like a compilation series. Still a very good show if you're looking for something really unique.

Madoka
    I guess people get kind of weird about "dark" magical girl series and some of them are pretty crappy but Madoka didn't make an entire popular for nothing, it's really good. Great plot, some very interesting visuals.
    I would however claim that the sequel movie is the best part about it all and basically just really impressively shows something that the series basically implied would happen anyway.

Nichijou
    It's an okay wacky cute girls slice of life comedy thingy. Generally differentiates itself from other series of that type by pulling out some pretty impressive animation quality for absurd visual gags.

Sayonara, Zetsubo-sensei
    A pretty fun series but loses much of the humor for non-japanese viewers. It's really a series that loves it's wordplay and multilayered puns which means with subtitles there'll just be times where you'll have one line of dialogue and like three other footnotes and infoboxes that explain the japanese joke that just happened (Maybe not all the time but that's how I remember it)... and at least for me getting that kind of stuff explained might still work for appreciating the cleverness but it's not truly funny in the traditional sense.

TTGL
    One of the great things about ttgl is just how fast the plot escalates and every time it seems like it can't get more over the top, it somehow does. There are also two compilation movies which, while overall being just generally okay greatly extend the climactic fights even more.

When The Cicadas Cry
    Story wise definitely one of the best mystery anime out there with some very interesting storytelling choices. Some of the horror parts can get pretty nasty and unfortunately the animation quality is sometimes nasty as well, with lots of off-model shots and generally eh look outside of important moments. Visually it gets a bit better in the second season which is defintely required to watch as the first season only presents the mystery while the second seasons actually provides the solutions.
    I have not read the Visual Novel, but having read the successor VN (which got a truly godawful anime adaption) it's very likely that the VN is better however if one was to read the VN it's worth noting that the translation on steam is still missing the last two chapters, so you would have to wait for the ending.
    Last edited by Theigno; 05-23-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Thank you both for the information. Always good to get other people's opinions, so I know what shows to prioritize. Child's Toy I may skip just because I didn't initially realize it was like 100 episodes long. Another anime I'm considering, but forgot to list for some reason, is a rather obscure one called Phantom Thief Saint Tail. I doubt it will be all that great, probably mindless fun at best, but the premise sort of appeals to me. Reading the synopsis, it sounds like the exact same setup as Cardcaptor Sakura, but with less magic and more phantom thievery. I don't suppose anyone else here has watched it? Anyway, I finished my latest anime last night.

Dream Eater Merry
    This anime was one of those manga adaptations that aired long before the manga had ended (in this case, the manga still hasn't ended), and which was considerably different as a result. I really liked this show, but it did suffer a little from the circumstances. At 13 episodes, I found it too short, and it bit off more than it could chew, in a sense, with too many subplots going on at once thanks to the addition of a number of major characters that weren't in the manga. Naturally, the focus is on these anime-exclusive characters, and their stories are more or less resolved by the end, but a lot is left hanging, and unfortunately the anime never got a continuation. I'd be interested in reading the manga whenever it finally finishes. Right now it's at about 20 volumes, so it still has a ways to go before it reaches the length of other long manga I've read like Soul Eater (25 volumes) and Excel Saga (27 volumes).

Next up for me is Demon Detective Nougami Neuro. What's everyone else been watching?
    MY PROJECTS

I come from the net
    I've just catched up on Yugioh VRAINS. And totally haven't tried 3 different anime I would not like to mention here. Twitter yes. But that's just more for me to watch in December. Oh well.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast