With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Ai Tenchi Muyo!)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook

Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: Ai Tenchi Muyo!)

Update (February 18, 2016)
    I've decided to turn this into more of an all-purpose topic, so as to have everything in one place.

Well, the Adventure Tri leadup has finally succeeded in getting me addicted to anime in general, rather than just Digimon in particular. Since it ended, I have watched or am planning to watch a number of other anime (some totally new and some sequels or spinoffs of stuff from the leadup), and may start to read more manga as well. Everyone please feel free to jump into discussion on anything I bring up, or to bring up shows that the leadup has inspired you yourself to pick up. Also, if anyone has suggestions for anime to watch, I'd be happy to consider them.

Here's a link to my lists of anime/manga:
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TMS1

Original Post
    This is the first of what may be several topics on the subject of anime/manga that I've watched/read as a result of MarcFBR's leadup to Adventure Tri. I figured I'd go ahead and start a new topic for the Hellsing TV series, since the last topic on it has been dead since 2008: http://withthewill.net/threads/6559

WARNING: I won't be using spoiler tags in this post, since we're talking about a 13-episode show that's as old as Tamers.

So a couple days ago I finished watching the TV series. I'm basically in agreement with a lot of people who consider it inferior to the OVA, though it was a fairly enjoyable watch nonetheless. It's been a while since I've seen the OVA, but the voice acting didn't seem as good in this series (I watched the dub again). I did have to giggle whenever someone said "bloody hell," though. Plot-wise it did seem a little unfocused, and I was particularly surprised by the lack of a definite ending. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a number of fan fiction sequels have been produced, considering I was inspired to write The Call by the more minor loose ends left by Digimon Adventure 02.

By the way, given that Konaka worked on the show, I wonder if Set might be a reference specifically to the deity from Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (part of the Cthulhu Mythos Konaka's such a big fan of), since both are depicted as evil snake gods, whereas the Egyptian Set didn't resemble a snake in any way. The "exotic" aspects of some of the villainous vampires was interesting. Incognito was kind of weird in that he was apparently a white guy despite his tribalistic appearance and the references to the "Dark Continent" (never explicitly referred to as Africa). Maybe he's supposed to be Egyptian or something, given that he summons an Egyptian/Stygian demon god.
    Last edited by TMS; 07-03-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net
    It was a pretty good series. I liked the ED since it was fully English and what kind of song it was. The OP was good too. Though Ultimate is better but that's obvious. This one is still pretty good.

I've updated the original post of this topic, basically saying that the thread will now be for commentary on any anime/manga that the Tri leadup has inspired me or anyone else to pick up.

Just to get us caught up, here's a list of the stuff I've watched since the leadup ended (leaving out some random specials and OVAs for leadup shows that I caught up on in the process):

Trigun [see leadup topic for commentary: withthewill.net/threads/14959 ]
    A Certain Scientific Railgun
    A Certain Magical Index: Miracle of Endymion
    Yuru Yuri Summer Vacachun+
    Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
    Hellsing [see first post for commentary]
    Yuru Yuri San Hai
    Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
    Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure [currently watching]

Besides the above anime, I've also been reading the manga version of Soul Eater, which I am nearly finished with.

A Certain Scientific Railgun / Miracle of Endymion
    I always thought that Index the character really played a rather minor role in the show named after her. I remember that it really wasn't much of a surprise to learn that there was a spinoff series starring Mikoto, who seemed almost to have a bigger presence in the main series than Index herself did. Going in, I was expecting this spinoff series to be kind of a downer, on the assumption that it would focus on the background of the Level 6 Shift project, but the series didn't really get into that until the second season. It was interesting to see the events of the Level 6 Shift arc retold from a different perspective.

On the whole, I enjoyed watching the series about as much as I enjoyed watching A Certain Magical Index. The focus was a little narrower, but I think that actually worked in the show's favor, since the story arcs were longer and there wasn't as much new information to absorb, since the various oddities of magic weren't usually involved. I wonder if A Certain Scientific Railgun will continue in the future. It still has quite a ways to go to get caught up to the point in time at which A Certain Magical Index's second season ended. I also wonder whether any future continuations of either show will revisit the handful of characters exclusive to Miracle of Endymion, which I also watched and enjoyed.

Yuru Yuri Summer Vacachun+ / Yuru Yuri San Hai
    Well, the continuations of Yuru Yuri were as cute and amusing as one would expect them to be. I had watched the first Yuru Yuri Summer Vacachun during that week of the leadup, but didn't realize until later that there was another OVA. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that there was already a third season out by the time the leadup was over, which is nice, though I have to say I almost would have preferred a continuation of one of those shows with ongoing plots that have been waiting a few years (possibly on more manga / light novels) for something new in animation.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
    I enjoyed The Second Raid. It answered a few questions that I didn't realize needed answering, and I suppose that the upcoming third season will do the same, assuming the Amalgam incidents are going to have further repercussions. The second season of Full Metal Panic was somewhat more compact than the first, and leaned more decidedly towards the dramatic than the comedic, but neither circumstance can really be called a bad thing. The Tessa-centric OVA, which I also watched, provided some levity. The main villain of the season, Gates, was an interesting character. Nothing very pretty about him or his personality, but his twisted sense of humor made for an interesting dynamic.

Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
    I don't have much to really say about this one. It was more of the same from the first season, though with some interesting new characters.* It's still not an absolute favorite of mine, but I definitely did enjoy it, and I plan on watching the franchise's various other anime adaptations eventually. I see that the most recent of these came out some years after Flights of Fancy (in 2011), a three-episode OVA. Wonder if that's a continuation of the television series, or something relatively unrelated.

*Speaking of which, I noticed that characters from the first season's opening finally showed up in this season. But then I reached the end of this season with a couple of characters from its ending credits still yet to be introduced. The series seems to have a problem with getting ahead of itself.

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
    As I said, I'm still watching this one. As of writing this I've seen the first eight episodes, and will be watching episodes 9 and 10 later tonight. So far I like the series. I was a little timid at first about watching it, since its connection to Tenchi Muyo (the reason it's on my list) is pretty tenuous, and it was essentially the first totally new series I've watched since the end of the leadup. That actually made me skip it at first (I've been watching anime sequels/spinoffs in roughly the same order as their original shows came in the leadup), but thought I might want something to go between a couple of sappy shows like Ah My Goddess and Ai yori Aoshi. Naturally I'll reserve my final verdict for when I've finished the series, but I'm enjoying it for now. It has a special kind of goofiness to it. My favorite character is probably Dr. Sanada, though after seeing episode 8 last night I've been trying to puzzle out to what extent his comment on "Miss Rah's" appearance is creepy now that I know more about her identity. Speaking of which, I'm beginning to suspect that her mother is the real power behind the Rara Empire. I've also been wondering about Sanada Mitsuki, who says she arrived in the parallel world a month before Kazuki did, which doesn't really make sense unless her father's machine allows time travel. Not sure yet if that's a plot point or a plot hole.

Soul Eater (Manga)
    I'm nearing the end of this, currently reading through volume 24 of 25. I'm greatly enjoying the manga, and seeing how it diverges from the plot of the anime, despite the fact that I prefer anime to manga as a medium. I've been debating whether to start a topic on the manga for some time now, but I wasn't sure if anyone else here has ever read it. There's a lot of interesting stuff and new characters to talk about, so let me know if you have read it or are reading it. One thing I like are the further Cthulhu Mythos references, and the elaboration on the Book of Eibon. Cthulhu himself seems to be the inspiration for the unnamed Great Old One. What's more interesting is that for once he doesn't appear to be an actual villain.

Well! I think that finally gets us up to date. I shouldn't have put this off for so long. Anyway, feel free to discuss any of the series I've mentioned, or to bring up any other series that the leadup has inspired you to try out.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Forgot about this topic (probably since there were no responses), but I've remembered now, so I'm going to make another post. Since the last one I've finished both Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and the Soul Eater manga, and have watched several additional anime and started a new manga. Among the anime were the second season of Ai yori Aoshi and the Fullmetal Alchemist movie Sacred Star of Milos. Both were enjoyable, particularly the latter, but I don't really have much else to say about them. That leaves three (or four, depending on how you count it) things to comment on.

Digital Devil Story: Goddess Resurrection
    This movie was the first anime based on the Megami Tensei franchise, and is about the most 80s-looking thing I've ever seen. Not having played the game or, for that matter, read the novel on which the movie was based, I probably didn't get as much out of it as some people could have. The fact that it's clearly only the beginning of a story didn't help, and I felt no real connection to the characters or their development (I had to laugh at how worried Akemi was about Yumiko five minutes after trying to use her for a human sacrifice). Still, it was an experience, and I'll be trying the franchise again this week or next by watching the anime version of Persona 4.

Star Driver: The Movie
    I watched this with the expectation that it would basically tell a similar story to Star Driver: Radiant Takuto, but in a different way. Turns out that, other than an opening action sequence and the ending credits, it's mostly just an abridged version (if not in the internet's usual sense of the term) of the television series. It was fun to see the new scene (and to see the Cybodies used outside of Zero Time, hard though it must be on the economy) and watch the highlights all at once, though I definitely prefer the anime's more leisurely and much more thorough way of developing the characters, particularly the antagonists.

Excel Saga
    Years and years ago, probably after my brother and I discovered the AMV Hell series, I poked around at several anime/manga, and this was one of them. I watched the first couple episodes of the anime, and read the first six volumes of the manga, but didn't finish either of them (in the latter's case due to limited funds). Since the leadup I've been meaning to get back to both of them, and have now done so. I finished watching the anime over the course of the past week or two, though the 27-volume manga will probably take me some time to finish. While the anime has its moments, and I applaud its goal of parodying various genres and anime conventions, on the whole I greatly prefer the manga. Though still silly, the manga feels a lot more grounded (it helps that not every chapter is a "quack experiment"), and I find it much funnier. Whether I'd enjoy the anime more if I understood all of the random references to various anime, I'm not sure, though I sort of doubt it. A few episodes were so far removed from the "plot" as to be almost pointless. I'm glad I watched it, though. For now I'll continue to enjoy the manga, which, aside from its humor, interests me because of the mystery surrounding Il Palazzo and Doctor Kabapu.

So that's it for now. Once again I'd like to invite everyone to join in the discussion and/or talk about their own leadup aftermaths.
    Last edited by TMS; 04-19-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    MY PROJECTS

Still in the process of reading Excel Saga, having recently finished volume 8 of 27. Nothing new to add yet. For my anime this week I watched...

Persona 4: The Animation
    Since my time is limited, and playing the video game would be a big commitment, I watched the anime adaptation's main series of 25 episodes and the bonus "true ending" episode, "No One Is Alone." I liked it quite well. It was easy to get into despite being the fourth in a series (plus some extra baggage from the older Megami Tensei stuff). I was surprised at how relatively little there was in the way of action, considering it was based on a video game. Of course, combat and story are always separate to some extent in RPGs, so maybe it's not too surprising. Then also, you don't fight as much when you're doing it for truly altruistic reasons rather than just more experience points. The theme songs were... interesting. Most were performed by a group called Lotus Juice, whose native language is evidently Engrish, but that ultimately didn't stop me from finding two songs I really liked (one of which I posted about in the "What are you listening to?" thread.

I liked the concept of the Personas and Shadows, though being me I sometimes wished the series had something similar to Digimon's Analyzer screens. It's kind of funny that the "Sexualization" thread was revivified recently, since most of the "boss Shadow" incidents deal with sex/gender issues, and I found myself wondering what the reaction of the thread's contributors would be to the series. Also makes you wonder what our own Shadows would be like. Since we're real people and not limited fictional characters, any given Shadow would probably have quite a few angles of attack to choose from. Overall, a fun show with fun characters (I even saw a little of myself reflected in the human villain's philosophy, though I haven't killed anyone yet). I'll be looking forward to watching adaptations of other Persona games.

Well, I'll be back here in a week or so, if no one else posts. Coming up next are a Tenchi Muyo movie and, in honor of Marc's recently posted reading list, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi.
    MY PROJECTS

Manga reading continues apace (or will once tomorrow's birthday gets me enough money to feed my new habit). Since my last post, I've watched the following:

Tenchi Muyo! in Love 2
    The interesting thing about this movie was how relatively subdued it was compared to the usual Tenchi stuff. The emphasis wasn't as much on humor either. It kept my interest, but probably won't be a favorite of mine. The first "in Love" movie was much better, in my opinion.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    The weirdest thing about this show is not its premise (which, by anime standards, is nothing very out there) but the bizarre way that its episodes were originally aired out of chronological order. I went into the show unaware of this, so that my first exposure to it (outside of pop culture osmosis) was an episode consisting almost entirely of an amateur movie made by the characters. I sort of shrugged that off, though, and didn't figure out what the deal was until most of the way through the fourth episode I watched, after which I looked up the chronological order and watched the series (both seasons and the movie) that way. Anyway, as far as the actual contents of the show go, I really liked it. The characters were fun and in general the show was funny, perhaps the highlight being Kyon's mental commentary. Haruhi herself was generally more entertaining than she was annoying. My only big complaint is "Endless Eight," which really could have been cut quite a bit shorter. Though the minor changes between episodes could be somewhat interesting, I think half as many episodes could have gotten the point across well enough. But yeah, I had fun. During the Tri leadup I skipped over The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, since I wanted to watch this first, but I'll definitely see the spinoff series eventually. I sort of wonder if the movie might lead into it somehow, since the movie was really as much about Nagato as Haruhi, if not more so.

This week I'll be watching Tenchi Muyo! GXP. By the way, at Py687's suggestion, I've added Mushishi to my list of anime to watch eventually. I'd never heard of it before, but the premise sounds like it might be somewhat interesting. Has anyone else seen it? Really there's probably a lot of anime out there that I would find interesting. It's true of other media as well, but I'm rather picky about what I devote time to. I probably wouldn't have watched hardly any anime outside of Digimon if it weren't for challenging myself to do the leadup.
    MY PROJECTS

I come from the net
    Everyone had an issue with Endless 8. But please watch the Nagato spin off. But I like Nagato so I may just be a bit bias. And GXP isn't that bad. Toonami has had worse. Can't remember if I saw that movie though. It's been years.

I was actually at the USA premiere of the Haruhi film.

It ALMOST made up for Endless 8.

Although honestly, I was more happy that the film had the designs looking more like they did in the first season as opposed to season 2, which sort of shifted more to the studios house style.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Well, I changed my mind on watching Tenchi Muyo! GXP, and wound up watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood instead. In consequence, it turned into a very long week, but I finished watching the series and its four specials a few nights ago. I found this second anime adaptation just as enjoyable as the first. It had a lot of ground to cover, and only an extra cours or so to do it in, so it went rather quickly at the beginning, with certain characters and situations not being as well developed as they were in the first series. But it wasn't a real drawback, and it was cool to see the story play out with all the elements from the manga that the first anime didn't get a chance to handle. One thing I found especially interesting was the difference between the two adaptations' homunculi, both as individuals and as a species. Just a great show all around, as I expected it would be.

Next up on my list of anime to watch is the 2-episode A-Channel OVA, +smile, followed by Cowboy Bebop.
    MY PROJECTS

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    FMA: B was one of the anime i really liked a lot. More than the original. It covered key things, but I feel did go on at points that it didn't need to. Overall enjoyable.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast