With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamato and Sora's Relationship in 02

Yamato and Sora's Relationship in 02

The depiction of Yamato and Sora's relationship in t.1 caught me (and others, I'm guessing) off guard (I haven't had time to read through all of the discussion about the movie, so apologies if this has already come up and is beating a dead horse at this point). My memory was that they started dating during the course of 02 (or at least definitely by Revenge of Diaboromon a couple months later), and yet their relationship in t.1 seems too distant to be currently dating yet too friendly (or not awkward enough) for them to have broken up. Which leaves me wondering: what were those signs that they were dating in 02/Revenge and were they explicit, or were they just hints—which led us to conclusions which were valid with the info we had at the time, but are now invalid in light of new info?

It's been several months since I watched the tail end of 02 and Revenge of Diaboromon, and I've only seen it dubbed, so I don't have a firm grasp of specific events nor how they differ in the separate JPN/Eng continuities. I believe the dub makes a romantic relationship fairly explicit (with the infamous Tai rejection scene and iirc a reference to Matt going on a date while they're hiding before confronting Oikawa at the bridge), but that isn't so relevant for this question of the Japanese canon.

What information is there in Japanese? I recall the main dubbing difference with the infamous scene in the Xmas episode is that Taichi doesn't ask Sora out, but does she allude to dating Yamato then? And is Revenge explicit about them dating? The only evidence I can recall is the image of the two which the Kuramon spread, which seemed explicit at the time but in retrospect might not mean anything more than that they hung out and went shopping one afternoon.

I also don't think t.1 is firm evidence that they haven't dated. It's very possible the film intended them to come across as dating. Or that they're supposed to have dated and broken up but still have some romantic chemistry. I just didn't read it that way at all, and think it failed awkwardly in this regard if the goal was to convey that (feel free to point out if I missed evidence though).

Junior Commander
    Episode 38 is clearly meant to be a "love confession", Christmas being a lover's holiday in Japan. After episode 38 of 02 Yamato and Sora were often shown with their arms around each other, which in Japanese culture is a tell-all sign that you're in a romantic relationship. There was also a verbal acknowledgement, when Koushirou asked Yamato why he didn't go with Sora to check on Noriko (because he didn't have Gabumon, so he would have been useless).

In Diaboromon Strikes Back their official profiles referred to them as a couple, and the picture on the begining shows Yamato and Sora on a date.

Not to mention the Drama CD Michi e no Armor Shinka - set in Valentine's Day 2003 - where the relationship gets a lot of focus and we even hear a public confession. Of course, the canoncity of the Drama CDs is debatable, but it's an example of how their relationship was acknowledged as fact post-episode 38.

As for their relationship status in tri., this tumblr post explains it rather convincingly. My guess is that the ambiguity is meant to serve as tease for other beloved ships, especially Taito. And of course you have to keep in mind the conventions about PDA in the culture and the personality of the characters involved.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post

As for their relationship status in tri., this tumblr post explains it rather convincingly. My guess is that the ambiguity is meant to serve as tease for other beloved ships, especially Taito. And of course you have to keep in mind the conventions about PDA in the culture and the personality of the characters involved.
    Actually, the way they are acting in tri. don't really line up with those cultural norms for dating, nor as you point out, are they consistent with how it's dealt with in 02 (in that in 02 they clearly show them being a couple from that point forward.)

Thus far it appears the tri. crew is playing around with vague continuity in the same way many anime teams do. Certain elements are simply ignored and may or may not appear later.

We don't really know for sure what is going on, but the explanations I've seen from many people are weird and often argumentative against their own explanations (as in explanation A says 'this', but then they thrown in an explanation B, which doesn't work at all if you take 'this' into account. Basically they want their endpoint to count regardless, so they throw in multiple explanations that don't mesh with eachother.)

I don't really take that tumblr post as explaining it convincingly for multiple reasons, the primary one being "It's an explanation that has an end point the person has decided beforehand."

You could come up with just as plausible a list for the characters having broken up but decided to stay friends, Tai and Sora being together, or even Tai and Yamato being together (even though this isn't ACTUALLY a ship that exists in the show, it's being done for humor, despite multiple people discussing it as if it might happen) because you are effectively making a list using evidence that doesn't really exist. It's all 'look at how they are sort of standing near eachother, or someone didn't quite approach them the way I expect they would.'
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Junior Commander
    It's more about not dismissing the previous established plot points unless given concrete evidence to believe they are "playing around with continuity", like you argue.
    Obviously, the staff of tri. handles romance in a very different way than 02 did.
    But of course, people will see what they want to see when it comes to ships. People have already gone from "Yamato and Sora didn't talk to each other in Adventure" to "they're obviously as close platonic friends as Sora and Taichi in tri." Sora and Yamato as friendly exes seems even more ooc for them.

Anywya, in answer to the OP, many people did interpret their relationship as consistent with 02, the same way many people did not.
    Last edited by sugarplumfairy; 11-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    It's more about not dismissing the previous established plot points unless given concrete evidence to believe they are "playing around with continuity", like you argue.
    Obviously, the staff of tri. handles romance in a very different way than 02 did.
    But of course, people will see what they want to see when it comes to ships. People have already gone from "Yamato and Sora didn't talk to each other in Adventure" to "they're obviously as close platonic friends as Sora and Taichi in tri." Sora and Yamato as friendly exes seems even more ooc for them.

Anywya, in answer to the OP, many people did interpret their relationship as consistent with 02, the same way many people did not.
    Except vague continuity shifts are rather standard in anime. Is it possible nothing has been changed? Certainly. But it seems rather unlikely with the way certain things just aren't being mentioned (of course, in an future episode things could be explained super clear.)

We do know certain things clearly are being handled differently, so we don't actually know what's being kept or not.

Clearly something is going on with that relationship that was not how it was chosen to be handled in 02.

One bit that people seem to be ignoring in discussions of it is Sora clearly decides to go out of her way to decline answering Mimi.

Her and Yamato's relationship at the end of 02 wasn't a secret, and in fact they acted rather close when they were shown together after they got together in 02, so it's a bit of an odd response if everything is just how it was, as some people have suggested.

I'm all for not dismissing things, if when looking at it it matches. We of course don't know what's going on, but considering 99% of everything being said by anyone is largely people grasping for straws and guessing, I have no real issue looking at what we do have and going "this doesn't quite fit what was there before."

But I do agree with you that we are sure what happened in 02 once it happened.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I find the assumption that because this happened in 02, it must be true here or an explanation for how they broke after having dated for a while a mystery. 02 had the digidestined give up their ability to digivolve to Ultimate/Mega, had digidestined all over the world, had the digiworld break down and every human get a digimon, and Joe starts dating Yolei's sister.

None of that stuff happened for Tri's world, clearly. Tri is not nearly as staunchly beholden to every piece of 02 continuity as is presumed here.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    That doesn't necessarily follow. Firstly, the partner Digimon could be able to Super Evolve now because the Holy Beasts no longer need to borrow the power of the Crests. Secondly, there could still be Chosen Children all over the world, whether we see them or not. They didn't appear in 02 until the action moved to the countries where they lived. And finally, Jou dated Miyako's sister? I don't remember that. Anyway, the relationship probably didn't last.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Having just watched that episode, the Chosen actually say right when they're telling the new kids about how they used the power of the Crests to restore the Digital World, but then go on to explicitly say the power of the Crests is still in everyone's hearts. They didn't give up the Crests, they depleted the Crest-energy for an indeterminate amount of time. Tailmon explicitly says because the Crests are still in the children's hearts, they have the chance to evolve again someday, and Takeru reaffirms that.

Qinglongmon only talks about using the Crest power to break the seal, he gives no indication it was needed on an ongoing basis.

So the fact the Digimon can evolve again just means that enough time passed that the Crest power was restored.

Not feeling like I'm getting an answer on the whole "every human has it's own digimon" thing, that 02 did. Tri clearly operates in the world where the general populace knows Digimon exist, but not much beyond that. There being millions of digidestined around the world wouldn't fit into this either. From what we have seen, the writers of Tri don't agree with making Joe a digimon doctor either. Tri doesn't follow 02, at least not to the very end. It takes from 02 what's useful to tell it's own story and that's it. Sora and Matt are dating being the default assumption because that's how 02 dictated it must needs be, is faulty.
    Last edited by Nukan; 04-05-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukan View Post
    Not feeling like I'm getting an answer on the whole "every human has it's own digimon" thing, that 02 did. Tri clearly operates in the world where the general populace knows Digimon exist, but not much beyond that. There being millions of digidestined around the world wouldn't fit into this either. From what we have seen, the writers of Tri don't agree with making Joe a digimon doctor either. Tri doesn't follow 02, at least not to the very end. It takes from 02 what's useful to tell it's own story and that's it. Sora and Matt are dating being the default assumption because that's how 02 dictated it must needs be, is faulty.
    You aren't getting an answer because parts of your question and comments are flawed, and not necessarily on topic. Never was if said it happened overnight. We saw where things ended up years later. Nothing we have seen disagrees with the ending 02 had.

For the time being there is no relationship because we've seen none. Even when Sora could have corrected Mimi when she made her comment she didn't. The crew have quite literally gone out of their way to have it show up thus far.

They quite likely will have it show up later... but for now, nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast