With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109
Results 1,081 to 1,083 of 1083

Thread: Theories for Tri

It would depend on how it works. Are we talking about just shutting down electronic systems (infrastructure), or are we talking about the elimination of electricity itself as a universal property of physics.

If it's just the former, you can still generate electricity. It's how personal home generators and batteryless, crank radios work. We'd be set back a bit, but we really wouldn't take all that long to get everything back working again. I mean, presumably we're not talking about the power lines being cut.

The concept of a loss of electricity in terms of physics, on the other hand, is really more overarching than you might think, so I think it's an interesting thing to consider. For instance, loss of electrical impulses would completely wreck the nervous system (which is essentially electrical impulses carried by charged ions). So all life would be dead. The next question would be whether we're just eliminating the creation of electromagnetic fields or if we're eliminating electrons entirely. Just doing the former would remove the Earth's magnetic field (and thus magnetosphere). The Earth would no longer be protected from solar wind particles or cosmic rays. This would also result in the loss of the ozone layer so the Earth also would no longer be protected from UV radiation. If we deal with the elimination of electrons, then good-bye matter. Time to re-start the universe.

As far as how this could occur, maybe bombardment by positrons. As the antimatter equivalent of electrons, such bombardment would result in mutual annihilation of both positron and electron. Really nasty if somehow the Digital World were capable of unleashing such an attack.

I wouldn't give humanity more than a few seconds with that option. It actually would be a very legitimate threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhikan634 View Post
    It would depend on how it works. Are we talking about just shutting down electronic systems (infrastructure), or are we talking about the elimination of electricity itself as a universal property of physics.
    Considering how they just completely arbitrarily conflated the the concepts of "electric" and "digital" I doubt that anyone involved had a single thought about physics. So it's most certainly the first option, or some other option that doesn't really make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhikan634 View Post
    The concept of a loss of electricity in terms of physics, on the other hand, is really more overarching than you might think, so I think it's an interesting thing to consider.
    Also light would be gone, so nobody could see shit.
    Merry Christmas to the forum! A blessed Christmas Day to you and a blessed Christmas season to follow.