With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon World: Next Order Coming to Japanese Playstation Vita in 2016

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by G-SANtos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hope-endlessly View Post
    Never say never. It's possible they're releasing them in waves.

I mean, in Cyber Sleuth we had Hagurumon repping the machines, so we might get him again and then something like Gomamon for a water sort of nature.
    Er... RD forces you to start wih Agumon and only gives options after he dies. It's probably the same thing here: You can only start with one of the designated four (which could be two for each if they're going the sexism route), and you're only given Machine and Water options through eggs for Bubbmon and Pitchmon after your first Partner dies.
    Yup. In DW1, only Machine techniques are obtainable though getting Machine types that happened to be the most of Perfect/Ultimate ones, it was really hard to raise to collect those techs like that because of the enemy Machine types are tough to battle and there were no Adult or Child for Machine types. And Fifth, due to the training courses, it only give less rewarding stats than the usual. Both Machine and Fifth are kinda hard to get it in early journey only the experienced players know how to get it early.

That's why I wanted the lower stages of Machine and Fifth as the new Starters since it's Vita game plus the improved DW1 traits so there might be Child and Adult ones of Machine/Fifth lines that will be fully introduced to this game at finally!

Can't think of anything like what kind of new Ultimate/Perfect Fifths will be in it. KingEtemon, P-Numemon and BKKingNumemon... Not so much.

Add saifors on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Shiki looks more like a gender-swap of Kouta than Takuto. I don't think it's too surprising that we're only being introduced to her now. Weren't we initially only aware of Takumi in Cyber Sleuth?

Could we get a link to the article hope-endlessly quoted?
    Here ya go:
    http://gematsu.com/2015/08/digimon-w...le-protagonist
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/19...8Siliconera%29
    Just don't go into the articles comment sections...

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by saifors View Post
    Just don't go into the articles comment sections...
    Meh, the most offensive thing on that page is the word "Biyomon."
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I'm guessing you didn't get to the comments that were sexualizing her ALREADY.

Add saifors on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by hope-endlessly View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't get to the comments that were sexualizing her ALREADY.
    The amount of people talking about "how cute she is" and "ami is cuter" and people calling FeMC's their waifus is disgusting.

I really don't want to see the digimon fandom become this way I'e already seen the fire emblem fandom devolve from discussions about strategy to who's the best waifu, I can't handle another one.

I come from the net
    So? It's just completely normal. For the internet.

Follow Touya On Twitter
    Just because it happens doesn't mean you need to condone nor normalize it.

The move to include a female protagonist is exciting, because it means Bandai is both acknowledging and targeting an expanded audience. Shiki here is obviously not pandering to the predominantly male fanbase; her character design is about as subdued as Takuto's, she appears to be wearing leggings rather than the infinitely more marketable [to men] thigh-highs or bare legs, and unlike Ami she's being given what are essentially gendered Digimon that aren't particularly popular with male players. So, a girl character made for girls.

Good that they are putting an option, but I wonder why they don't just announce both characters at the same time.
    Given the game's low completion status, Shiki might not have existed when the first teasers went up.

"Shiki". No Ta- name? You know, Rina I could understand since she wasn't a protagonist, and Ami I was giving the benefit of doubt that they were homaging Akira and Atsushi from the DW series (what with both Aiba having red hair), but, now, I know that it's just plain sexism. Really, why can't female protags also have Ta- names? It's not like female Ta- don't exist in Japan: Takami, Tamon, Taako, Takako.
    At this point, I kind of wonder if I should be happy they are at least letting them have goggles.
    I think you're reading too much into the name. The Ta- names don't have nearly the significance in Digimon that Yu- names do in Yu-Gi-Oh!, 2/6ths of the core goggleboys don't have them, and Bandai's intention is probably to differentiate Shiki from Takuto significantly enough that she doesn't just become the same thing but with a skirt. Why should a female character's worth in Digimon be calculated based on how closely she emulates an equivalent male?

Er... RD forces you to start wih Agumon and only gives options after he dies. It's probably the same thing here: You can only start with one of the designated four (which could be two for each if they're going the sexism route), and you're only given Machine and Water options through eggs for Bubbmon and Pitchmon after your first Partner dies.
    Presuming that the starter Digimon are gender-locked, I'm not sure that "sexism" is right to describe what Bandai's doing. This is the same market where Nintendo feels the need to put out pastel pink "Girls' Beginning Sets" and blue "Boys' Beginning Sets" at the beginning of every Japanese Pokémon TCG setblock. Next Order may be capitalizing on fan nostalgia for Digimon World and the fanbase that Re: Digitize/Decode recouped, but it also needs to reel in a new base of consumers. Appealing to the widest pool of age groups with purchasing power possible while also opening the game up to both halves of the presumed gender binary is the traditional fallback when trying to maximize sales. By introducing a female character with uniquely feminine sets of starter Digimon, Bandai could be specifically targeting a young female audience (7~24 years) with a game that has content tailored to them. The alternative is making Shiki a decorative reskin of Takuto, which does nothing to peel away the hyper-masculine Stamp of Testosterone that Digimon has on it. This is the franchise that created Metal Greymon, loves to reference nuclear weapons as a unit of power, and gave us the HOTBLOODED GAR MONSTER-PUNCHING MANLY MAN WITH EXTRA BALLS SPROUTING FROM HIS DIGIVICE™ Daimon Masaru. But Tamagotchi are something known to have staying power with a female audience in Japan, and doing something prominent (like introducing Shiki) while coinciding with Tri's presumably more grown-up approach could transform Digimon's image into a neuter franchise with cross-gender appeal. That's raking in another 50% of the population, which would do wonders for sustaining Next Order's sales. Cyber Sleuth had a very positive critical reception and was the 34th bestselling Vita game in its first six months, but Digimon World was ranked in the top 20 PSX games ever. Next Order has a lot to live up to, and making the game as welcoming to Japanese girls from elementary school on up is one tactic to ensure it can live up to that legacy.

I won't be particularly disappointed if the starters aren't gender-locked, but if they are I don't think we should be getting particularly concerned about it. The idea of gender outside the binary (beyond something as simplistic as formal neuter pronouns) is still very new territory in Japan, and this is one case where pink can mean profit. Like, Next Order can't exactly go Banana Yoshimoto on us. Having a Girl Power female protagonist with flower and bird Digimon to counterbalance Takuto's dragons and dogs is about as inoffensive as you can get in the market.

I'm still hopeful for character customization.

I'd quote your post, but frankly, it's long and I'm tired.

Much of your post just reads as filler or things that are wrong or slightly off (most of it is what I could 'vaguely correct' where it's correct if you look at things a certain way, but as far as reality goes... eh.)

It's sort of like whenever someone pulls out that one poll a store took to pick the most popular Digimon anime characters and people trot that out as proof of 'anything' when it was a single store and I believe the total amount of 'votes' was like... 200 or 300 people total.

I think anyone who looks at the ONE image we have and derives some sort of statement of Bandai branching out or girl power (or anything beyond, hey, a female alternate protagonist, just like the last Digimon game) is trying to add some wish fulfillment into it.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Touya On Twitter
    Shiki's character art is on the official site now: http://digimonworld-neo.bn-ent.net/chara/

Interesting that they both have those streaks of color in their hair. Having just the one profile description to cover both characters suggests they're interchangeable as far as the storyline goes.

Kouta was added to the site with animage and a profile for him and his partner:

(here are the other 2 too: http://imgur.com/a/Sfj4m)

Another interesting thing is that even though it seems that tehre are only images (with less than complete alt text) the text of the profiles is actually in the source code of the site but the container elements were set to a height of 0 with hidden overflow so the nromal text can't be seen.

so here's all text currently on the character page (includes image alt texts so some things repeat)

キャラクター/デジモン

主人公
    タクト(デフォルト・変更可能)
    シキ(デフォルト・変更可能)

部活もひと段落し、受験勉強中の高校3年生。
    小さい頃、デジタルモンスターのゲームに熱中。
    小学5年生の時には全国大会で準優勝したことも。

タクト

シキ

タクト(デフォルト・変更可能)

シキ(デフォルト・変更可能)

部活もひと段落し、受験勉強中の高校3年生。