With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion

Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion

13 episodes this time!

The first 1/4th of Go-Lion!

Content wise, you get what you expect from an actiony series. There's some violence, etc.

Subbed on Crunchyroll for free- http://www.crunchyroll.com/go-lion
    Subbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...klqk_-nbcUrFiy (they only have the first 10 available right now, but since Youtube is likely more convienent for some people I'm including it even though it isn't to the end of where we are watching)

A classic anime series that would have introduced American children of the 80s to anime even if they weren't aware it was from another country. But is it really a classic?

Go-Lion is perhaps most notable for us because much like Digimon, it's inherently a series where most of the audience knows about it because it got an edited for TV dub. But in this case... Go-Lion is inherently a generic series. There is very little special about it. It's only real relevance is because it was used as the source material for the original season of Voltron (and even then, they only got Go-Lion because of a random accident.)

Go-Lion is perhaps the ultimate case of the edited dub just being BETTER than the original series. It is in fact so notable in it's relation to Voltron that the show has never been released on DVD in Japan, but we've not only gotten it on DVD, it's been re-released, and all the artwork for the DVDs was newly made.

I'll let you guys decide if it's actually an enjoyable show as it is though, as I made up my mind a long time ago and revisiting it, I've never seen much to change my mind (although I still get amusement out of the fact that none of the characters call themselves by name, but by their primary character trait... the show is so generic it can't even remember the names of it's characters...)

Does it have any connection to Digimon beyond that it's 'birth' in the USA was done in a similar fashion? A few- You'll hear Guilmon, Iori's Grandfather, and Nene's father, but that's about it. The connection here is more metaphorical than literal.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
    Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
    Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
    Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
    Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
    Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
    Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
    Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
    Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
    Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
    Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
    Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
    Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
    Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
    Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
    Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
    Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
    Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
    Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
    Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
    Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
    Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
    Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri

Here's the OP from Youtube.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I wanna note when Marc says there some violence, it can get actually somewhat gory (though not to the point of stomach turning), but it's fairly over the top. It kinda reminds you of what Japan used to be allowed to get away with back then on television with this series that were targeted towards children. I think the only networks that would allow even close to this level of violence still are probably TBS and NTV (Hunter x Hunter being a fairly good example of this).

On that note, I actually should finish watching this. Although I'm not 100% certain if I'll say Voltron is better, I'll definitely say the sound mixing on the western version is much better than Toei's mix of the series. Some of the sound effects seem poorly mixed (such as not 100% matching with the on screen action) and don't really have the same "oomph" you would expect from this series.

I come from the net
    Yay! Original Voltron! I heard this was pretty violent. Plus super edited. But not in a Proto-4Kids way. ...Didn't they want Vehicle Voltron instead? Or was that a different anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Neo View Post
    Yay! Original Voltron! I heard this was pretty violent. Plus super edited. But not in a Proto-4Kids way. ...Didn't they want Vehicle Voltron instead? Or was that a different anime?
    They were choosing 3 series to combine in a 'they are related by a base concept, but not really related' (in this case there would be 3 'Voltron' robots protecting different parts of the galaxy and all getting their orders from a central organization.)

They requested tapes to begin internal work (prior to licensing so they could review tapes) of 3 shows, which they requested roughly as such- The one with the lion, the one with the vehicles, and the one with the three gladiator robots.

They wanted Daltanious, Dairugger, and Albegas. The mention of 'lion' (the central robot in the 'big robot' formation in Daltanious was a lion) apparently confused Toei, who even though they knew WEP had never seen the promotional tape for Go-Lion, went ahead and sent Go-Lion instead of Daltanious.

WEP decided Go-Lion would be far superior for their purposes and went with that as the first Voltron season. Dairugger was adapted as the second season as planned. After Vehicle Voltron didn't hit quite as hard as they hoped, WEP skipped adapting Albegas and hired Toei to animate a new season of Lion Voltron (with added story elements that were specific to things from Voltron that never appeared in Go-Lion.)

So we've since gotten
    Voltron (also called Lion (Force) Voltron) which was adapted from Go-Lion
    Vehicle Voltron which was adapted from Dairugger
    Voltron 'Season 2' which was completely new footage that WEP paid Toei to make in the style of Go-Lion, Toei farmed it out to their Philippines animators .
    A crossover movie when Season 2 was being made.

Years later they did a very nice CGI series that got cancelled due to the animation company going under called Voltron the Third Dimension. This series as I recall ignored everything except the original Lion Voltron season.

A few years ago (but many years after 3rd Dimension) they did a 2d/CGI series called Voltron Force that (again) ignored everything except the first season of Lion Voltron (a few bits of Vehicle are mentioned and alluded to, mostly in regards to that one of the Lion pilots and one of the Vehicle pilots were brothers, but no actual mention is made that Vehicle exists, and much of the background from Lion Voltron is changed anyways.)

Neither Daltanious or Albegas has ever received an English release.
    The most notable American footnote for either series was that in the Devils Due Voltron comic, Vehicle Voltron is a technological copy of Voltron. In the background of one scene you can see a failed prototype for Vehicle that is clearly the 3 Albegas robots.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net
    I remember that last part. And 3rd Dimension was not good. I saw some of it. But Force really could have been better if they tried. But I think if they were going to replace characters, replace all of them. Not just 3. And I think there were some "evil" Voltron in the series. Right? Dragons or Dinos or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Neo View Post
    And 3rd Dimension was not good. I saw some of it.
    If you think 3rd Dimension wasn't good then you didn't see it.

But Force really could have been better if they tried. But I think if they were going to replace characters, replace all of them. Not just 3.
    Force was ehh.... Force added new characters, but the other 5 were there almost nonstop.

It sounds like most of your info sounds like you've read about the shows, but haven't watched them.

I come from the net
    Which is almost a lot of what I know of things. But 3rd Dimension is years ago so memories and things. Plus it was on at about 6 am Saturdays I think. Or maybe I just didn't like the idea of "Stealth" Voltron. ...That may be it.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Well, this is the first anime where I watched through episodes only to get it out of the way quicker. It has a generic, Saturday morning cartoon feel to it. The characters and script are colorless, and the episodes are repetitive, particularly when it comes to the battle scenes. I stopped at episode 13, since that was this week's goal. I know the story starts to develop more after that, but I don't really have any interest in continuing.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net