With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 47879495969798 LastLast

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Episode 129 - Protecc, Attacc, Overreacc

What do you two think of Main Protagonist Syndrome vs. Special Snowflake child? In case you don't know, Main Protagonist Syndrome usually has a clear line between the goggle boy (excluding Daimon, because he has no goggles :P) and all other characters, but sometimes this is extended to the lone wolf. Special Snowflake Child on the other hand has a kid who's younger than most of the other main characters join seemingly last min to beat a boss that they actually don't beat, but they can often be portrayed as ill or like the Jesus of the series.

I much prefer the former of the two, as at least the main protagonist is introduced in the first episode and we get to know them before and see them develop, unlike the special snowflake who's just there to show how special they are. This really bugs me in Tri, as Hikari is treated like the special snowflake again, even though it makes no sense, as she's pretty much a chosen child vet by now, so giving her special evolution because she was the "special" addition in one series, but usually treated like a regular character in another is super jarring. This is why special snowflakes shouldn't be included in media, as stuff like this happens years later because nostalgia pandering. This is especially bad, as it also makes her overpowered because of all the battles she fought in 02 and kinda makes her look even more like a Mary Sue than Adventure. I'm not saying that goggle boys are any better, but they're usually not treated like Jesus and do have more character depth than regressing to "I was Jesus all along, let me show you my god Digimon who can fix/ruin everything" years later. Takeru in Adventure '99 kinda suffered from this too, but he was much more developed, due to being in the first few arcs and we got a good sense of the kind of person he is. I'm glad that Savers avoided this by having Daimon's little sister's Digimon shooed away.

BTW, sorry for the false Hunters dub info.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 11-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Is that syndrome really even a thing? It sounds more like you just don't like Hikari.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Is that syndrome really even a thing? It sounds more like you just don't like Hikari.
    I do like Hikari, I just don't like how she's being treated. If they keep on treating her like the special one who can do way more than others, because she was useful for a few episodes in Adventure '99 when she was the "new kid", it comes off like the writers don't know what to do with her in tri.

I think she was one of the few good characters in 02 on the other hand, as she didn't come off obnoxious or boring. Yeah she had that one special about her going dark, but other than that she was one of the more level headed kids and didn't have her Digimon armor evolve into a horse like Patamon. Afterall, she doesn't HAVE to have her Digimon be a mirror female imagine of the Angemon line. IMO, she had the most amount of individuality in 02 series, as in Adventure '99 she didn't do that much when she went to the digital world, other than getting ill and being an exposition machine.

I posted this in the Head Theory thread, but I'll say it here too:
    Tri takes place in an AU, where 02 only lasted until the Digimon Kaiser turned good. No Arukenimon and no Mummymon stuff, no world adventure or 02 movies either. This makes ignoring 02 make more sense, as it would be a lot shorter and the "new" kids would be treated more like an emergency system, as most of the Adventure '99 kid's Digimon couldn't properly use the Digimentals. After 02 kids helped Ken turn good, they go back to their normal lives. This also explains why the 02 kids were (likely) kidnapped, because their Digimon could only armor evolve. It also explains why the kids with dark spores in 02 who later got Digimon don't appear, as well as why Digimon are pretty obscure, as they would have only invaded the human world in Adventure '99.

I think of the Mummymon/Arukenimon + arcs as extended continuity, that didn't really happen in the current universe. This way the last episode where we see the 02 kids' future can still make sense, but also explains why in tri they're just shrugged off.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 11-11-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Hikari did things in 02 that weren't involved with the Dark Ocean?

I'm also kinda curious how Hikari being a 'Special Snowflake' has anything to do with Savers. Is the implication that Chika or Ikuto is some kind of Special Snowflake? Because while they each do have some episodes dedicated to them, they aren't ever portrayed as more important than Masaru...
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Rewatching 02, I feel very sorry for Daisuke in the episode where he got the Digimental of friendship. First of all, when MetalGreymon runs rampant, Daisuke thinks things through... he doesn't want to hurt MetalGreymon, as it's Taichi's Digimon, but then Takeru runs up to Daisuke and punches him for "wasting time". Even though there's a difference between being apprehensive and being a coward, just like there's a different between being stupid and being brave. Another issue I have is the episode makes it look like Daisuke doesn't care for Digimon and if that WERE the case, he'd make Flamedramon attack MetalGreymon non-stop no, instead he doesn't want to hurt a friend's Digimon so really his apprehension is what gave him the Digimental of friendship anyway and the reason why it floated towards him, is Daisuke realized there's more than one way to show you care for someone. I really hate how this episode is written to make Daisuke look bad, despite it actually making Takeru look like a huge out of character bully. As for Daisuke not knowing he had to fight MetalGreymon... well, maybe he came to the conclusion that spirals are much harder to break.

(Ignore the other two posts, I don't know how to delete previous posts.)
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 11-14-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    Rewatching 02, I feel very sorry for Daisuke in the episode where he got the Digimental of friendship. First of all, when MetalGreymon runs rampant, Daisuke thinks things through... he doesn't want to hurt MetalGreymon, as it's Taichi's Digimon, but then Takeru runs up to Daisuke and punches him for "wasting time". Even though there's a difference between being apprehensive and being a coward, just like there's a different between being stupid and being brave. Another issue I have is the episode makes it look like Daisuke doesn't care for Digimon and if that WERE the case, he'd make Flamedramon attack MetalGreymon non-stop no, instead he doesn't want to hurt a friend's Digimon so really his apprehension is what gave him the Digimental of friendship anyway and the reason why it floated towards him, is Daisuke realized there's more than one way to show you care for someone. I really hate how this episode is written to make Daisuke look bad, despite it actually making Takeru look like a huge out of character bully. As for Daisuke not knowing he had to fight MetalGreymon... well, maybe he came to the conclusion that spirals are much harder to break.
    I agree! I'm a BIG Daisuke fan myself and feel he's misunderstood by most because of his abrasive personality. I think Daisuke has an amazing heart, and if he stopped trying to act "cool" all the time he would probably be much more likeable. I'm assuming he'll learn that lesson as he grows up. I agree that Daisuke's hesitancy to hurt a mentor's Digimon was misportrayed a bit as being cowardly. Daisuke often gets the short end of the stick, when I think he's trying to work things out in his own way.... I partly think they had Takeru play the role that Yamato would have played in that position, but they needed a character in Daisuke's own age group. If Yamato punched Daisuke it could have been seen as bullying by an older kid. So Takeru had to take the role by default, even though it did feel a little out of character. Only Episode 22 I find hard understanding Daisuke's actions.... he's a real dummy in that one. I'm still hoping that Adventure Tri will end with Daisuke riding in on Lighdramon to kick ass and save the day! That would be awesome!

Savers 31/32

I actually like the Hyper Bio Extra Evolutions! Especially BioSpinomon! He's pretty cool! And the lack of a moving mouth while talking makes him so kaiju! And gives the ability to the dub to have him talk even more! BioLotusmon has a really nice design too. Episode 31 sub ended amazingly. Tohma wondering why what Nami said bothers him so much.... "Getting the Digimon knocked out of you" while hilarious, seems quite lame as a premise, and I doubt Savers will explain why or how after being beaten the Bio evolutions somehow get separated into human and digitama. Oh well...
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Technically, Daisuke was the one who jumped at Takeru...
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    I think, for some of it, that's the fault of the writers.
    But yeah Daisuke was unnecessarily aggressive.

Anyway onto this month's manga coverage!

Digimon Manga Special 8 - 99.99% Tamer
    We learn all about the actual power of friendship, Ryou, and villains!
    Linkdump
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Airdramon View Post
    I think, for some of it, that's the fault of the writers.
    But yeah Daisuke was unnecessarily aggressive.
    I meant the second time, when Daisuke didn't want to hurt MetalGreymon. Takeru then seemed to bully Daisuke for thinking things through.

*eyes roll*. Daisuke.... you’re so jealous of Takeru and his relationship with Hikari (read than anyway your head cannon requires) that you keep trying to out-Takeru Takeru. When if you just eased up (even slightly) with macking-on Hikari, you’d probably develop a relationship uniquely your own, instead of just being the butt of jokes and teasing all season. We get it... you like her (though god only knows why...?). To me a lot of that punch was frustrations with jealousy. Daisuke suffers under the hand of his own pride. And not quietly, but publicly, for the whole world’s entertainment. I get why he sucks to everyone. He does a lot of bad and poorly thought out things....but his heart was in the right place by the end of that episode. he’s alsomean to his sister which is bad... but I’m not a big June fan myself....