With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168 ... LastLast

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Episode 129 - Protecc, Attacc, Overreacc

Frontier 13/14

I agree with you guys on card slash strategies too. It was a narrative mechanic with such potential that peaked as gimmick and was never fully explored. (Appmon spoiler) Sadly, the same seems to be the case with Appmon, and the kids' active role in fighting (search controls for Haru, fighting for Eri and musical for Astra) that gimmick died WAY too quick. I was excited for its potential.

Well, I'm sad you guys are still hating Frontier. Everything you say is true. But I'm still drawn to the characters and the fantasy DigiWorld Frontier presents. And I would say "yes" having the trains is a HUGE advantage in this season that makes the world so crazy! Trains through the air and underwater! And I never get tired of the kids reactions on the bumpy rides. Trailmon Kettle is my 2nd favorite trailmon (we will see my favorite one in upcoming episodes,) and you have to admit, Takuya and Kouji riding on the outside was pretty cool! Having an underwater trailmon escape route is just bizzare! I thought their escape at the end of Ep 13 was good (determined and serious, and Takuya snapped at Tomoki to stop crying, and things got real) but everything happened so fast, I felt the gravity of the scene was forced. Goodybye Sorcerymon, we hardly knew ye.

Bolgmon's attack is wicked cool! He has a bit of that Mugendramon thing going with the charging-up cannons. Awesome!

I'm totally with Jay on dubs. Digimon ruined dubs for me too!

The kids finally made it the Forest Terminal (it only took 13-episodes) I never noticed how long the journey was, as I tend to enjoy this season by-the-episode and not as an overall story. What is the next destination? Does anyone really care? I smell some fun filler episodes coming, the beach!

Honestly, I really don't care about Human and Beat Digimon fighting for domination. If it were up to me, I'd get Mushmon, Woodmon, Jyureimon and other Jungle Trooper/Plant-type Digimon and stage a coup d'état! Screw the Human and Beast-types! Let the forests reclaim the DigiWorld!! muwahahahahaha! (I really don't like or care about the overall story in Frontier... or Tamers...)

One problem I had with Frontier, is the conflicting art styles... you get cartoony Digimon like Neemon, but then you get much more detailed and realistic Digimon, like Agunimon.
    This is why, when I saw Doggymon and Dobermon, I first thought they appeared in Frontier, since they both have conflicting art styles.

Anyway, are you guys planning on doing the manga after you're done with the anime?

Adventure Tri 4

May, I don't chat much about Tri because I want to see the whole story play-out and then digest it. Special 20 was a great episode. I'll share a few things in response:

1. I LOVED the "Keep On" remake for the ED! It's my favorite Digimon ED (a close second is the current one we're watching on Frontier). While I love the original with the spinning buttons and faces, the remake was cute and I love the trolley car and stars. Fortunately we get the movie released in 4-parts so we get to watch the OP/ED 4-times per movie! I love that!
    2. Plotmon's "Puppy Howl" was the best thing in this movie!
    3. The wickedly animated, punching "Marching Fishes" was a VERY close 2nd...
    4. Mugendramon FINALLY got his due as a scary Dark Master. (I always felt the series kind of underplayed him, though his episodes were good... this was... intense)
    5. Piyomon was the opposite of the Piyomon we knew! Was Piyomon more like Sora originally and the length of time waiting made her so clingy?? I liked how this was presented, but resolved itself a bit too quickly.... time issues...
    6. Speaking of time issues, the kids getting split-up with different Digimon had such potential... not enough time to fully realize it... still enjoyed what little we got... Takeru in the Village of Beginnings made my heart melt.
    7. The opening animation (silent film-style) was great! Can't say more, still too many questions... I love Bakumon! Poor Maki.....

minuses:
    1. The film was a bit too "damsel-in-distressy" for me. Especially for featuring Hououmon as the headliner. Sora should have gotten to be the hero more aggressively.
    2. I really could have done without the creepy "predator" angle being added to Gennai's character. I already wanna punch that obnoxious smirk off his face... I really didn't need him to lick Sora to make me like him less.... unsettling... and the "I'll play with you later..." unnecessary....
    3. Taichi really couldn't figure-out why Sora was upset...?? Really?? He's not THAT dense... felt a little forced. I love you Taichi
    4. Who is "the Libra" Hackmon is referring to? Meicoomon? Why "Libra"? bad sub? So Confused... poor Meicoomon... poor Meiko...

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Episodes 13 and 14 were OK. The plot progresses, the other warriors are established as a bigger threat, Izumi gets to do a cool thing by rescuing Seraphimon's egg - even if Seraphimon being way underpowered is puzzling - and Bolgmon is awesome.

I don't remember if it was pointed out on the podcast, but there was a glaring plot hole I noticed. Remember the scene where Trailmon Kettle and the kids go down into a cave, and there's a big section of track that's missing and it has to fly over a huge gap to reach the other part of the track? A few minutes later, the Trailmon has reversed all the way back up to one of the early parts of the route with diverging tunnels where Grottomon and Arbormon are waiting for it to pass. How the heck did it get back past that missing section of track? Normally I'm willing to suspend my disbelief but this and the scene where Whamon is captured were far fetched even by Digimon standards.

Frontier 15-16 opnions: I sure didn't expect a two-part from a beach episode. So much of the plot is about whether or not the only two female main characters (protagonist and villain) are pretty or not. It's a shame that Izumi's beast spirit wears battle-underwear because otherwise her design is really cool. (I might be a little biased, I really like "harpy" design, like the yugioh archetype)

Appmon ep21 opnions: You could see the plot coming from a long distance away, but it was mostly enjoyable. I was so ready to get done with the monster-of-week plot though, so not seeing Dantemon felt really cheap. I guess they made it so Rei can have an ultimate appmon too. Isn't it early for everyone to have ultimate-levels though? With that name I assume there's nothing above it?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Actually, there's a fourth grade above Ultimate, God grade.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Alright so we recorded early this week so unfortunately we didn't get to the latest comments from yesterday so I'll address them now before I post the episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    I don't remember if it was pointed out on the podcast, but there was a glaring plot hole I noticed. Remember the scene where Trailmon Kettle and the kids go down into a cave, and there's a big section of track that's missing and it has to fly over a huge gap to reach the other part of the track? A few minutes later, the Trailmon has reversed all the way back up to one of the early parts of the route with diverging tunnels where Grottomon and Arbormon are waiting for it to pass. How the heck did it get back past that missing section of track? Normally I'm willing to suspend my disbelief but this and the scene where Whamon is captured were far fetched even by Digimon standards.
    Oh my gosh I didn't even notice that. That's painful.

Quote Originally Posted by fexmeif View Post
    Frontier 15-16 opnions: I sure didn't expect a two-part from a beach episode. So much of the plot is about whether or not the only two female main characters (protagonist and villain) are pretty or not. It's a shame that Izumi's beast spirit wears battle-underwear because otherwise her design is really cool. (I might be a little biased, I really like "harpy" design, like the yugioh archetype)
    I feel that they could have gone more beastly for Shutumon - I do like her design as an evolution for Fairymon but I don't think it really fits in with the other beast evolutions.

-------------------------------------------

Alrighty then! On to the episode for this week!

Episode 92 - She Doesn't Have Pants Still

It’s the beach episode, Shutumon still doesn’t have pants, and we discuss things that are more beast like than Shutumon and things that she accomplished.

Weekly poll

Linkdump

Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay
    Image Thumbnail

Weekly Wonders
    May: Memrise
    Jay: Writing a book
    Last edited by Airdramon; 03-03-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

I've made my way through all of your 02 and tamers podcasts, and you guys have been great. May's genuine love for all things digimon and Jay's more critical and cynical mindset both provide interesting insights, and make for an amazing combination. I am also amazed by your willpower to soldier through rerecordings and sickness. These podcasts are a testament to your tenacity.

Some commentary on various things, presented in order:

1. I actually think that, compared to his dubbed counterpart, the original Daisuke is the worse character. Sure, the dubbing team adds a lot of stupid lines to Davis, and on occasion has the characters say meaner things to one another, but they also made the character a lot more friendly in his overall tone. Daisuke sounds angry for a vast chunk of the season, and often seems genuinely frustrated to even have to work with the other children in his group. He doesn't really seem to be friends with anyone but Ken and Tai. In addition to this, the dub also made his apparent control issues a lot less extreme. In the original, he seemed to get frustrated whenever anyone took any kind of action beyond his control (example: protesting when Miyako invited Mimi to the picnic, which the dub changes to pointing out they didn't bring enough sodas). His interaction with veemon is laced with both of these, with almost all of his communication with the poor guy consisting of barking orders while either angry, annoyed or making fun of him (I bet Veemon misses Ryo).
    Related, Taichi never actually made Daisuke the leader of the digidestined in the original. Daisuke just forced himself into the position. It's only in the dub that the transfer of goggles was supposed to be the transfer of leadership (In Tai's defense, there were literally no other new digidestined at the point he did this. He probably felt really stupid after his sister got an upgraded digivice, and he'd already declared Davis the leader.)

2. When May asks Jay for speculation for Oikawa after he first appears, Jay produces a truly fantastic theory with Oikawa as one of the original chosen children. Seriously, I so want that theory to have been true, and I am so saddened with the 02 we actually got.

3. That Blackwargreymon breakdown by Jay deserves its status as a classic. Seriously, it's fantastic.

4. Regarding Kazu's uselessness: Why does his guardromon stay at adult-level anyway? Kazu's the one who figured out that you could use any card as a blue card. He should be able to get Guardromon to Andromon anytime he wants.

5. Regarding card slashes in the final parts of Tamers; I don't think they even could card slashanymore, at least not while in mega form. Their mega forms don't carry digivices, after all. During the finale, I think they kinda attempted to make a point with this, withevery character encountering a problem that they would have previously solved with one of the cards we've seen them use: Dukemon needed a White Wings card, Saintgargomon needed a Reload card, and either Sakuyamon needed scythes, or Justimon needed a King Device.

6. I'm really annoyed with the fact that their digimon got separated from the chosen children at the end of tamers. I know it's something of a tradition, but in the other seasons it makes some sense from a narrative standpoint. An adventure must come to an end, as you growu p you must leave fantasy behind you, and as you grow up, you will inevitably leave friends behind, bittersweet stuff like that. But for Tamers, the digimon partners were part of the family. Guilmon is somewhere between the family dog and a baby brother, Terriermon is the annoying little brother, and Renamon was even explicitly called part of the family. You don't end a show with part of the main characters' families dumped in a post-apocalyptic hellscape populated largely by violent psychopaths who want to eat them. Especially not when a full third of the show was all about retrieving Culumon (who they had much less of a connection to) from the digital world.
    Not to mention that a lot of the details don't really make sense. It's not like the barrier between the real world and digital world was ever particularly solid, even before it got destabilized. All the digimon from the early episodes and most of the partners came through before any destabilization occurred. Sealing up that one portal between the real world and the digital world is pretty much pointless. Even in the finale itself, we see a digignome come through the barrier between worlds.
    It's also a very silly idea that Takato went back to just living a normal life. He and his fellows helped save the world, and did so while being broadcasted to every tv on the planet. He and the other Tamers should be global celebrities.

Edit: 7. Now caught up on the tri podcasts as well. In regards to the weird spiritual bit from the beginning of the first movie, that was a bit from an old religious philosophy called 'gnosticism'. The idea behind gnosticism is that we don't actually live in the world created by the Real God. That God created a reality that was purely spiritual, and because he was perfect, so was that reality. However, one of the godlike entities of the spiritual realm, an entity called The Demiurge, was a prideful being who decided he could do just as well, thereby creating reality. However, because the Demiurge was an imperfect being, so was the reality he created, and that's why there's things like suffering in the world. (keep in mind, this is a simplification. There were a lot of different gnostic groups, each with their own different version, and with a lot of overlap with other religions.)
    In the context of Digimon Adventure Tri though, I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to mean. Maybe it's about Yggdrasil (Demiurge) creating the Digital World (imperfect world) from the Quantum Sea (spiritual world). Homeostasis could then be filling the role of the Real God, or be one of the aeons, which are godlike spiritual emanations that reflects the true god but exist in lower planes (they're kinda weird). Maybe it's Sofia? (Aeons are supposed to come in pairs, but according to some gnostic traditions, the lowest-ranking Aeon was Sofia, who spawned without a counterpart, which caused the Demiurge to be created).

Keep up the good work, both of you.
    Last edited by ijffdrie; 03-04-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: The forum is kinda buggy, had to fix some things.

Appmon 22

This was a great episode! I love how Coachmon became endeared to Eri's sense of commitment and focus and decided to join her team! That coil spring suit was crazy! It's funny how Appmon shows people's reliance on technology and willingness to do whatever their apps suggest... in some ways it true, but Appmon take it to comical heights.

Does anyone else find it weird that Appliyama 470 was created by L Corp?? Now I'm wondering if maybe Eri could be a baddie, or at least an unknowing pawn as an idol. I really don't get the idol group thing. What motivates these idols? In Eri's case it's to make others smile, and there seems to be a healthy competitiveness that might not be realistic... not sure. Anyway, it was a sweet story with the encouragement she got from the original/head idol motivating her to try harder.

I'm not sure I like this 7-Code thing. It seems like lazy writing to me... And the randomness and convenience with which they are finding the codes is... a bit unbelievable. It's just a bit ironic, because we are decrying Frontier for its convenience writing and have barely mentioned the lameness that is the 7-Code Appmons... Hopefully we will get a good reason as to why the 7-Code appmon are so particularly special. At the moment, I'm just playing along... Looking forward to whatever newly hacked info Rei can bring to the story next week.

ijffdre... thanks for all the gnostic background information! Very helpful in trying to understand the beginning of Tri.
    Last edited by Chakmon; 03-05-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Thanks for your awesome comment, ijffdrie!
    Yeah we're kinda crazy in our dedication. We hope the sickness episodes weren't too bad though.
    Regarding the end of Tamers, I kind of wanted the Digimon to just kind of stick around and everybody would go about their lives with their Digimon following them around (like they are in the Runaway Locomon movie. Gaudromon is just carrying shopping around. It's adorable).

Chakmon, yeah, it's super weird that 'L-Corp' and the Leviathan logo is everywhere and nobody, not even meta-Haru, has said "wait a minute...".

Speaking of the latest Appmon episode, Chakmon, here it is!

AppliEpisode 21 - To Be The Mon, You Gotta Beat The Mon. WOOOO!

Even though Haru is a supporting character in the episode he still manages to be both May and Jay's favourite character in the episode. Haru is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.
    Also, seriously, why is Coachmon not 3D?
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast