With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 185865666768

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Episode 103, Applisode 32, and a new video!

Japanese divorce laws are weird. I thought this got discussed during Season 1 with Yamato and Takeru?

That whole 'visitation' thing that's so ingrained in western culture just isn't part of Japan. Once the parents split up, they became two unrelated households in the eyes of the law (a lot of this has its roots in Japan's feudal lords history). So Kouichi simply isn't part of Kouji's family anymore. I mean, obviously, he still is blood-related, but it's a much more complete separation in Japan than a similar situation would be in America/Australia.

So... not to defend Frontier or Kouji's parents... But this is one thing where the storytelling isn't lacking, it's actually a concept that was lost in translation... mon.

Now, Kouji's dad's and Kouichi's mom's decision not to tell their children about eachother is pretty shitty and shows that these characters must have had a VERY bad break up and don't want to have anything to do with each other anymore. (Or are complete cowards to not tell their children about each other.)

As for the 8-year mistress/girlfriend... That's really common in Japan too. You should look up some articles on Japan's culture of basically-institutionalized extramarital affairs.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Yeah I feel like I'm missing a bit not knowing Japanese culture and law.

Anyway onto this week's Applisode!

AppliEpisode 31 - Enjoy Your Trip

We're taking a trip out of filler territory now!
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

Frontier 33/34

I liked Blizzarmon and Blitzmon's combined attack in Episode 33. Also, I like how Kouichi wrestles with and eventually owns Darkness as his Legendary Spirit. In Episode 34 as the kids charge Cherubimon's base, the first thing I thought was "do they even have a plan??" but then I realized, neither did Takato when the kids confronted the D-Reaper in Digimontamers. You just sort of hope for the best.

I'm not sure why Goatmon was in Cerubimon's castle... but the spirits in the Hall of Shadows were pretty cool. I'm not sure about Cherubimon's argument that chaos is the natural state of the world. Apparently that is the "beast Digimon" perspective? I still don't get the Human/Beast division of Digimon, but whatever it is, as Jay said, it was pretty dumb to have a three person power seat remain after Lucemon's defeat, with 2-Human and 1-Beat digimon. What did you guys think of their areas of expertise? Seraphimon in charge of law and order (kind of ironic that he has the Crest of Hope in his design when you see how the criminal justice system really works... at least in America); Cherubimon, in charge of knowledge and teaching (you would think he would be more reasonable if that was his area, and more open to compromise and critical discussion); and Ophanimon in charge of love and life.

Appmon 31

Hot spring episodes are fun! It was hilarious how easily Eri would buy anything being sold to help ward off the wolf spirit. Tripmon was really cool! I liked his look and how he talks.
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

Chakmon, yeah, Tripmon is super super cool! I love him!

Serial Episodes Lain 2 - Girls Just Wanna Have Hallucinations

May and Jay sit down to watch and discuss the second episode of Serial Experiments Lain. Both May and Jay still have some questions.

Linkdump
    "I'm stylin' dude!"

My Digimon Podcast

Episode 103 - Walken in a Winter Wonderland

Frontier continues to make its filler episodes better than itís plot episodes, Jay finally meets Christopher Walkenmon, and May is still advocating for not thinking about the plot too hard.

Linkdump

You can find our weekly poll here!

Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay
    Image Thumbnail

Weekly Wonders
    May: iDroppedIt
    Jay: Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
    "I'm stylin' dude!"

My Digimon Podcast

Add clanc on Facebook
    >MagnaGaruruParrotmon is not a thing
    Frontier continues to dissapoint me

Quote Originally Posted by clanc View Post
    >MagnaGaruruParrotmon is not a thing
    Frontier continues to dissapoint me
    Honestly it should be..The spirit of pirate, maybe?

Anyway onto some Sunday night content!
    First up; a new Appmon card and chip unboxing video!
    May unboxes two new boxes - this time it's the third series of Digimon Universe Appli Monsters Card Game cards and the fourth version of the Appmon chips!

Next up; our latest Applisode! AppliEpisode 32 - He's in a box!

I'm in a box. He's in a box. We're all in a box!

Enjoy!
    "I'm stylin' dude!"

My Digimon Podcast

Add clanc on Facebook
    Cometmon and Warudamon? AppFuse them and see what happens!

By the way, I've seen in some videos that you put something like a coin or paper on that square thingy in Applidrive, it'll sometimes Appliarize a random Appmon. You could try to Applizise Speciamon with this and applink it with Satellamon to see what happens!

And lastly, if you spam a button while Appliarising (i dunno which) the Appmon becomes a "Burst Appmon", which is stronger than usual.
    Last edited by clanc; 05-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Frontier 35/36

I liked how Izumi pushed Kouichi a bit to talk with Kouji in Episode 36. I also really liked Chakmon's reaction to having is head licked like an ice cream cone by IceDevimon. The distribution of paired spirits to Kouji and Takuya in Episode 35 felt random... like the only criteria was the distribution be balanced. Pairing Ice with Fire? I would think pairing Ice with Light would be more effective... though Tomoki sharing his spirit with Takuya does make more narrative sense...

Basically the writing in Frontier doesn't do anything well... Cherubimon's sudden disappearance, anti-climactic. IceDevimon, unnecessary, disturbing (though entertaining, especially in English, though that Christopher Walken impression was really bad... but still funny.) By the time of Frontier, did IceDevimon appearances become a "thing" (like Leomon dying?) We did have a creepy IceDevimon with Ruki in Digimontamers... My favorite season of Digimon is shaping up very well... The pacing is poor, the writing, ghastly; the creative world that I love is shown to be basically any fantasy world, and there's not much distinctly digital about it. The character grouping I love has been revealed to be merely hollow puppets of generic personality-types... my beloved D-Scan is a tempramental piece of junk that only works when the plot demands it to... so all I have left is loving the adorably cute Tomoki evolution animation and looking forward to those wonderful shipping moments when Takuya and Kouji save one another and wind up in each other's arms (I'll never get my gay hero, so permit me to extend write my own.) Anyway... that's not much...

Although my favorite episode setting is still forthcoming. And though I hate to see Jay suffer further with Frontier, the worst arc is about to begin (get ready for 3-and 2 ratings).... though I never liked Frontier for it's story anyway. It should have been a Virus vs. Data story. the writers clearly had no understanding or interest in the Digimon brand and it's shoddy monster organization system to even try and build a coherent story fit to the brand. I will offer one saving grace to Frontier which is this: I am a huge fan of the "little brother" character and I think Tomoki might be the best one. I like his look, he was written decent, and his bullying backstory is okay, but not super developed. I will agree that Tomoki's growth is inconsistent because where he learns lessons, he backslides to his "character type role" later and we don't get much continuous growth only episodic. We haven't had a good "little bro" character since Takeru though, way back in Adventure. 02 gave us Iori who didn't "play his role," Iori was mature, not impulsive, and even-tempered; in may ways Daisuke would have been the little bro character compared to Iori, older Takeru, and later Ken! And all Tamers gave us was Xiaochun... (or Polly Prissy Pants Suzie) god, I hate her! So, Frontier saw an improvement on that angle, and I was happy to have Tomoki in the cast. I personally like Kouji too (shame on me.) This rewatch is giving me more insight into Takuya as well. Of all the goggleheads, I always had a hard time placing him on the continuum of goggleheads, it's because he's not fleshed-out well as a character (too generic... bad writing.) basically, I get why people say Frontier is just "checking-off" a list of things people want tosee in a Digimon season. How we get there? Too much work for the writers. So Frontier has unrealized potential. "Some assembly required, ask your parents to put it together."

Quick thought on Lain. I'm watching along, and I fear Jay's analysis about this series being over-rated may be right by the end. As a Gen Xer, I can attest to the fact that limited anime availability in the 90's led many mediocre series to "iconic" status for weirdness or whatever. I've never watched Lain before, but I do like the style. I like that you can hear the electricity running through the utility lines. Also May, great appearance on the WtW Podcast! I'm a Digimon Hunter fan too, so you're not alone! I love Tagiru! Pretty much for all the reasons why everyone else seems to hate him! Oh well.

Appmon 32
    Haru the Horrid was hilarious! What's going on with Rei? I feel like the story has been spinning it's wheels a bit since the time slot change. Also.. I told you guys Astra would be awesome!
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 185865666768