With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 418188899091

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Digimon Manga Special 6 - I Don't Want To..

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Episode 120 - Give Lalamon A Hand

May and Jay discuss death in the Digimon franchise and how characters deal with it, character backstories and the existence of death within them, shipping widows together, Lalamon's lack of hands, walking through deserts, families, and fried eggs.

Here’s our weekly poll!

Linkdump

Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay
    Image Thumbnail

Weekly Wonders
    May: Every Anime Opening Ever SuperCut
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

"I'm stylin' dude!"

My Digimon Podcast

Ain't got no mojo... Eitaroutarouman's Avatar
    Appmon

Another fantastic episode, though I'm a bit disappointed you guys didn't notice the parallel to the first opening during Gatchmon's speech. In DiVE, Gatchmon appears from the sky in front of Haru and scans him with his magnifying glass. Here, it's almost scene for scene. I really like the nice nod.
    私は不滅だ!!

Savers 15/16

A question about the Savers DigiWorld.... the circuit boards in the sky are a cool effect, but what was with the letter-shaped sea glass on the beach as they reached Wanderers' Cape in Episode 16? It looked like alphabet soup on the beach. Also, I'm wondering what the DGOS insignia on the computer in the upside-down house stood for?

In Episode 15 I kind of felt like the blame on Thoma was kind of implied, with young Thoma being so impatient about going to the festival and then his mom pulls him back from traffic. I think Data Squad avoids all this because it would simply be too much for Amerikids! Death is not really discussed (especially in kids shows) so the whole morose hospital scene got cut. I also noticed Data Squad removing a lot of MetalPhantomon's red eyes in scenes... less scary...

It was amazing that Jay was able to predict spiders for Episode 15! I always figured it was a single city in the canyon... because if it wasn't, the dub would have capitalized on giving the episode an even lamer name like A Tale of Two Cities. And in regards to Jay's comments on America using the English System of measure, we keep company with the great states of Liberia and Burma (Myanmar) who also use the English system... and one of my favorite Grandpa Simpson line...

I think the great line from this past podcast was Jay saying he thought Yoshino fainted because Sunflowmon was actually effective in battle! That was hilarious! I also figured that Yoshino wasn't talking to Ikuto in the cave because they thought he was still asleep. And yes, the whole mysterious vile being effective to cure this illness as well as Ikuto's previous sickness was very weak. And the fact that Falcomon didn't want to go to Wanderers' Cape because the land was defiled by a human presence... was pretty lame...talk about a forced plot...

Appmon 49

I have to totally disagree with May on this... I really want to see a Yuuji redemption (and it may be forthcoming). Yuujin being evil, just doesn't suit him. And speaking of suits. that horrible evil villain outfit looks terrible on him. Yujjin has become some sort of super evil Knight-o in that terrible outfit! I agree with you guys on the God Modes, I like all of them too! I think Uranusmon is my favorite! Yay Musimon! And is there a toilet joke imbedded here with his name, Uranusmon (or your-anus-mon) that would be suitably funny to Astra...?? in character... I thought the Easter Island giant heads was an interesting random effect to be in the DigiWorld. The BEST part of this episode was the reactions of Astra and especially Eri to their new God App buddies! Astra was just blown away by the coolness. But Eri was the best! Yelling at Deusmon about how his attacks are now useless, and all the boasting! Totally Appliyama Eri-san the center of the universe! It was awesome, and it totally shocked Rei! haha!

I didn't notice the parallels Etaroutaroumon listed, but that definitely adds a nice touch to the last episode. I liked how Gatchmon pushes for Haru to decide what he is looking for. I'm with Jay on not really liking how the Haru thing played-out. I get Yuujin has been his best and longest friends, but his life recently grew/changed immensely in meeting Gatchmon and the other kids, that this ide that he is alone and everything is pointless is a bit hard to swallow. The intensity of this can only lead me to assume he really loved Yuujin... like more than normal friends?? (read it as you'd like) though I'm with Jay on the idea that there is NO WAY Toei would write a gay character as a googlehead... so I'm left with only bad character writing as an explanation... but my head cannon will take the first option. Eri was so awesome in this episode!!
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I'm a little confused at the idea that just because Haru won't be written as gay and literally -in love- with Yuujin means that it's bad writing that Haru is codependently attached to his best friend. Like... you don't have romantically love someone to be dependent on their emotional support. Especially at the age that Haru and Yuujin are.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Given what we know about Haru's character, that level of codependency just doesn't seem believable, so I'd call it weak writing. To be honest, I think the whole Haru breaking-down thing was a bit overplayed overall. No matter what the circumstance, the level of despondency alluded to seems a bit much. Now Yujjin pulled-a-character-180 because he's "secretly" an evil AI robot... but what's Haru's excuse? This actually makes me think of Taichi's "issues" in Adventure Tri. Yeah... I get it.... but it seems a bit oversold for what it really is. Especially when you factor-in that the world is ending and you are sort of a key player in shaping the outcome... These issues are best left for post-traumatic stress, AFTER the chaos is over... And Haru would put everything on-hold just to make sure everyone could enjoy festival fireworks, and now he's self-loathing his way through the Human Application Project? I don't buy it. He's too altruistic for that... he always puts others first...

I think a disappointment for me here is that Eri and Astra really haven't come to Haru's aid again. I know everyone is separated, and as Rei said, there's "no time right now." I just feel like Eri could have really helped the situation. But then we would have missed that totally boss monologue she gave diminishing Deusmon! I'm still holding out hope that Rei planned for Haru's inability to confront Yuujin, and this will all workout, just as Rei planned (and Hackmon.)
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I think it's been heavily foreshadowed over and over again just how close Haru feels to Yuujin. He even adamantly stood up to Rei's suspicions of Yuujin literally just before the big reveal, building it up even higher. Haru put all his chips on his friendship with Yuujin, and he was completely betrayed. I don't think it's weak writing. It might have surprised you, but it doesn't mean there was anything poorly set up there. Up to this point, we've never seen a Haru without a Yuujin that believes in him/supports him. Even when Yuujin was 'kidnapped', Haru still knew that his best friend supported him. (This probably even cemented in Haru's mind how important Yuujin was to him since Yuujin threw himself into danger for Haru.)

The fact that Haru has this reaction -tells- us that this is how important Yuujin is to him. You can read it as romantic (because it basically is) or as a very deep friendship (because Toei doesn't have the guts to make it romantic) because both of those relationships can foster that level of codependency. And regardless of whether it's romantic or platonic, it's been clear for the entire series that Haru is extremely reliant on Yuujin for determining his own self-worth. That's not poor writing, that's just one of Haru's character flaws. One that was intentionally fostered by Leviathan for years, even. If he DIDN'T have some deep level of despondency, the story wouldn't have any impact.

RE: Haru/Yuujin. Eh I still kinda think Haru is being fine considering how attached he is and how he's only 14 and is experiencing such a betrayal.

Also Eitaroutarouman, Oh man I can't believe I missed that! Thank you for telling me!

Anyway onto this month's manga coverage which I'm uploading one day early as I'm busy tomorrow night.
    Digimon Manga Special 6 - I Don't Want To Die But Being A Podcaster Wouldn't Be Bad
    Time for the showdown between Omegamon and Zero!
    "I'm stylin' dude!"

My Digimon Podcast

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 418188899091