With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 758

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Digimon Manga Special 3 - He Has Wings Now

  1. #581
    I'm a Maniac Chakmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    114

    Frontier 15/16

    The fansub I watched for Episode 15 portrayed the kids making generally negative comments about the food served at the beach shack, like Takuya saying "these rubbery, flat noodles, are so good!!" so when Bokomon was wondering if these were actual compliments, the kids respond that it's all delicious anyway because it's just part of the whole beach experience. Like food at the beach is typically not the best quality but it doesn't matter because you're AT THE BEACH! That was the impression my fansub gave me. Which was hilarious!

    I have to say I love the beach episode! Everyone gets super laid-back and only Kouji remains suspicious until they finally break him of it by tickling him. I just love the interactions in this episode, and you guys picked the best Tomoki faces for the screenshots-of-the-week. This episode is just fun! May, you had an interesting point about how in Adventure the Digimon all helped the kids build their raft, that would have been nice in Episode 16, even though only the Gomamon were really around... And how cute were they, goma!

    In Episode 16 you guys were discussing the fact that the Toucanmon dropped out of the Ranamon fanclub because she's so ugly in her beast form, Calamaramon. Two thoughts, you would think if news travelled instantaneously anywhere, it would be in the DigiWorld. So even if this "local chapter" of Ranamon fans dropped her, news of her Calamaramon image would have spread in seconds in the DigiWorld! Also, what I love about Calamaramon is that SHE thinks she is beautiful, despite what anyone else says (though that falls apart a bit when Shutumon appears...) As Jay said, "vanity is a sin, only if you're ugly." I will agree that these episodes are incredibly shallow when it comes to the subject of female beauty, but I can't begrudge Izumi for admiring her reflection in the water barrel or taking extra time to decide on a swimsuit. The guys really only had varying colors to choose from, not styles, and those colors are pre-assigned anyway. If I was Izumi I would have picked the race stripe one-piece. That was the best suit there, but it was hilarious she picked the lavender one... her color... "it's so... lavender!" (English Takuya) The whole bikini bit that was dropped from the dub, my thought was, meh. I liked the exaggerated images (anime-style) of each suit-type: athlete, racer. The "sexy bikini" one was just another "image" in the lot, and I honestly enjoyed Izumi's imagination on each of them, it was funny.

    Frontier's biggest fault is that it lacks stakes. The characters (sometimes literally) fall into whatever they need to advance the plot, Bokomon's book is here to plug any hole imaginable in this swiss cheese storyline, and we are nearly a third of the way through the season without anything really decisive happening or any real focus. We have Seraphimon's egg, we know Cherubimon exists, but we have no plan or goal. Yeah, the story is definitely lacking a focus. But then I see Tomoki wearing an inner tube at the beach, Takuya chowing down on not very good noodles, and Neemon's "smart" remarks and I love this season again.... haha

    Another reason to love Lost in Translationmon.... Jay's "Simpsons" references! "The two sweetest words in the English language, default! Default!" Yes, Jay, yes!
    Next episode should be a good one, Tomoki, spirit-o evolution!

    Quick Appmon thought, you guys mentioned it in the podcast, Eri's motivational marching chant when training, calling out all the Appmon's names was SO cute. I loved how the Appmon (her friends) are her motivation to train harder... and the "Do-ka-mon" "Do-ka-chan" callback was hilarious! I love Dokamon, but Musimon is still my fav!

  2. #582
    I'm going digital wildwing64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Billericay, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    556
    Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    15 and 16 were a fun pair of episodes, and probably among the most entertaining so far.

    I've seen that "SEXY DYNAMITE" screencap before and wondered what the heck the context behind it was supposed to be. If I can make any justification for it, it was really more of an 'imagine spot' where Izumi is picturing herself as a model, but... that's all I got. It's basically fanservice for 11 year olds, which is weird in itself.

    As for the Toucanmon, I agree that they're not really great social commentary on how men behave towards women (paraphrasing, don't remember if that was the wording May used on the show), but I saw this group as a commentary on something more specific. That being the obsessive and frankly disturbing nature of the "idol" fan culture in Japan. How accurate the behaviour is to real life I'm not sure, but I've seen at least one article somewhere about fan interaction with AKB48 which is... best left undescribed. And the trope is prevalent enough in anime where it might be a bigger issue than we think. So in that regard at least I'd say the Ranamon fanclub is more or less an accurate depiction of this fan culture. I'm not sure how accurate the behaviour is exactly, but probably enough where it works as a "take that" from the Writers.

    Interesting that you talked about Izumi controlling her Not Really a Beast Spirit with "girl power". In the subs I watched, she instead says she did it with "determination". That was something I noticed as a callback to a quote she says earlier, and I thought that was a good moral to take away from the episode (a shame it got removed entirely from the version you watched ). For all the flak we give the writers for not caring about Izumi, it was nice that she got instant control over Shutumon the moment she first evolves, which we didn't see with any of the boys. But on the flip side, maybe this is the writers again not really caring about Izumi.

  3. #583
    I come from the net Jay Ukyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    1,446
    Honestly, I think the fact that Izumi was able to control her Beast Spirit without any trouble from the beginning is literally the only notable thing about Izumi in the entire span of 50-plus episodes. It gives her a mild victory in a vast ocean of failures.

    Have I mentioned that Izumi was my favorite character when I first watched the show in Japanese pre-subtitles? She struck me as this 'underdog' character. She was clearly the character with the most going against her the entire show. Sure, they teased Junpei more, but at least he got to actually -do- things. Izumi was just one failure and hardship after another, so I kept waiting for the moment where she was going to overcome all of that. The Shutumon episode happened and she was able to control her Beast Spirit with no issue, so I thought "Okay, this is it! Pretty soon we're gonna see her stand up and start being a real contributing member to the team!"
    And I watched each episode of the entire series. And now I'm watching them again along with the podcast.

    Still waiting.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

  4. #584
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Honestly, I think the fact that Izumi was able to control her Beast Spirit without any trouble from the beginning is literally the only notable thing about Izumi in the entire span of 50-plus episodes. It gives her a mild victory in a vast ocean of failures.

    Have I mentioned that Izumi was my favorite character when I first watched the show in Japanese pre-subtitles? She struck me as this 'underdog' character. She was clearly the character with the most going against her the entire show. Sure, they teased Junpei more, but at least he got to actually -do- things. Izumi was just one failure and hardship after another, so I kept waiting for the moment where she was going to overcome all of that. The Shutumon episode happened and she was able to control her Beast Spirit with no issue, so I thought "Okay, this is it! Pretty soon we're gonna see her stand up and start being a real contributing member to the team!"
    And I watched each episode of the entire series. And now I'm watching them again along with the podcast.


    Still waiting.
    I rewatched Frontier a while back, and it is truly amazing just how little Izumi ends up doing. Throughout the series, she's only really relevant to the plot of three episodes (15, 16, 26). That final one is supposed to be the cap on her supposed character arc (halfway through the season), but it only shows how little there actually was to it. Turns out, she's basically undergone her personality transformation off-screen somewhere between episodes 2 and 4, meaning her development got less focus than 'kid who pushes Tomoki on train during the first episode'. Her only relevance is fighting Ranamon, and Ranamon's only relevance is opposing her. If you cut them both from the show, the overall story wouldn't change. Though I guess you would lose the 'fanservice for 11-year olds' aspect in the process.

    Then again, Junpei suffers from pretty much the exact same problem, only without the personal rival. Surprisingly, Tomoki does not fall in the same category.

  5. #585
    I'm a Maniac Chakmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    114
    Did anyone else notice the English dub voice for one of the Toucanmon was Kazu from Tamers!? Weird...

  6. #586
    Completely digital Airdramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    788
    Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Episode 93 - Where's Waldomon


    Izumi is the most useful she’s been in 18 episodes and May is impressed. Sort of.
    May enjoys playing ‘Where’s Waldomon’ and Jay is wrong about how cute Phantomon is with his mouth open.
    May and Jay spend most of the episode making bad puns at each other. Sorry.



    Linkdump


    You can find our weekly poll here!



    Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay

    Image Thumbnail


    Weekly Wonders
    May: Nintendo Switch
    Jay: Space Patrol Luluco
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

    Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

    My Digimon Podcast

  7. #587
    You put the wrong 'obnoxious synopsis' in. It's the one from last week :P.

  8. #588
    Completely digital Airdramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    788
    Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    You put the wrong 'obnoxious synopsis' in. It's the one from last week :P.
    Yeah I know, somebody else already told us about it in our slack chat and I was just about to post here letting people know. I just fixed it and I'm re-uploading now so it should be all fixed in the next hour or so. I misplaced the file. It would have been fixed faster but I outsmarted myself by trying to keep the episode length the same and accidentally increased the episode length and I had to redo the segment transitions. Ooopppss. I'm only one person so unfortunately mistakes happen in the editing process since I edit and organise Obnoxious Synopsis separately from the main show.

    I will edit this post when the file has been replaced - Soundcloud seems to make it pretty easy.

    Also has anybody else notice how bad the forums been with posting? Only the first paragraph is able to have spaces put into it and to have other paragraphs with spaces everything has to be combined into the first and then had breaks put in between them after everything has been typed out. It's probably not so much WtW's fault as it is vBulletin but it's so annoying.
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

    Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

    My Digimon Podcast

  9. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by Airdramon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    You put the wrong 'obnoxious synopsis' in. It's the one from last week :P.
    Yeah I know, somebody else already told us about it in our slack chat and I was just about to post here letting people know. I just fixed it and I'm re-uploading now so it should be all fixed in the next hour or so. I misplaced the file. It would have been fixed faster but I outsmarted myself by trying to keep the episode length the same and accidentally increased the episode length and I had to redo the segment transitions. Ooopppss. I'm only one person so unfortunately mistakes happen in the editing process since I edit and organise Obnoxious Synopsis separately from the main show.
    Yay, quick fixes.

    Also has anybody else notice how bad the forums been with posting? Only the first paragraph is able to have spaces put into it and to have other paragraphs with spaces everything has to be combined into the first and then had breaks put in between them after everything has been typed out. It's probably not so much WtW's fault as it is vBulletin but it's so annoying.
    It's related to using chrome. As you start typing, first press enter, and after that backspace, and you should be able to use spaces normally.

  10. #590
    Completely digital Airdramon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    788
    Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Airdramon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    You put the wrong 'obnoxious synopsis' in. It's the one from last week :P.
    Yeah I know, somebody else already told us about it in our slack chat and I was just about to post here letting people know. I just fixed it and I'm re-uploading now so it should be all fixed in the next hour or so. I misplaced the file. It would have been fixed faster but I outsmarted myself by trying to keep the episode length the same and accidentally increased the episode length and I had to redo the segment transitions. Ooopppss. I'm only one person so unfortunately mistakes happen in the editing process since I edit and organise Obnoxious Synopsis separately from the main show.
    Yay, quick fixes.

    Also has anybody else notice how bad the forums been with posting? Only the first paragraph is able to have spaces put into it and to have other paragraphs with spaces everything has to be combined into the first and then had breaks put in between them after everything has been typed out. It's probably not so much WtW's fault as it is vBulletin but it's so annoying.
    It's related to using chrome. As you start typing, first press enter, and after that backspace, and you should be able to use spaces normally.
    I did that the first few times it happened but now it doesn't fix it. It's annoying.

    Also the episode is all fixed now!
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

    Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

    My Digimon Podcast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •