With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Digimon Fusion Episode 40: Gold Land and the Irate Pirate!

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

Digimon Fusion Episode 40: Gold Land and the Irate Pirate!

Episode thread for Episode 40 of Digimon Fusion

6th April - USA - 7am PST & 10am EST

No spoilers past this episode

I come from the net CloneWarrior's Avatar
    New voice credits for this episode:

Dark Volumon - Kyle Hebert (His voice doesn't differ much from Ballistamon's, as opposed to the major difference in the original Japanese)
    Mermaimon - Laura Bailey
    Depthmon - Michael Sorich

Lillymon is voiced by Laura Bailey once again, as she was in episode 29. I'm thinking Cindy Robinson's stint as her in Dragon Land was the result of someone mixing her up with Lilamon, since Robinson used the same southern accent for both.

Also, hopefully this mid-season break will give me a chance to catch up on episode comparisons.

I come from the net
    Olegmon name was not changed and was suitably Pirate-y. His two shoulder creatures were also that. Also is that how you pronounce Jorg... something. Almost surprised they kept that. Had some funny parts though.

Mikey mentions "Zone Transfer" in the episode recap, when they no longer use that term since the Zones were replaced with Lands.

Daimaden --- Lord Bagra's castle (it was previously called the "Bagra Fortress" in episode 31)
    Deckerdramon Float Mode --- Float Mode
    Gold Land --- Ocean of gold (last episode's preview for this one called it "Golden Land", but the preview for next episode at the end of this one calls it "Gold Land")
    Olegmon the Gold Pirate --- Olegmon, the Gold Pirate of the Seven Generals
    Olegmon's unnamed pirate ship --- The good ship Misery (a reference to The Pebble and the Penguin, of all things)
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea, a pirate's life be the life for me!"
    Kinzoku Dan (Gold Pirate Gang) --- Gold Pirate Crew
    Dual Tomahawk Boomerang --- Twin Broadsword Boomerang
    Mermaimon --- same
    Star Sword --- Sun Sword (this was the dub name of "Star Blade", whilst "Star Sword" had previously been left unchanged)
    No attack name --- Olympia Kai
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho and a pirate you'll be!"
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea! Yo ho ho, it's pirates we be!"
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea!"
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea! Yo ho ho, it's pirates we be!"
    Viking Vuffet --- unnamed
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho out on the golden sea! Yo ho ho, it's a pirate's life for me!"
    The Depthmon were unnamed in the original, but are named here and keep their name.
    The Pitchmon were unnamed in the original, but are named here as "Pitchmon" (the old Bandai of America name was "Pichimon")
    Village of Smiles --- same (its dub name was the "Village of Light" last season)
    Cyber Blader --- Cyber Blade (DeckerGreymon's previous use of an attack by this name, which may have been in error, was dubbed as "Reign of Fire")
    No attack name --- Medullia Punch
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "It's pirates we be!"
    Death Divi-- (Death Divider) --- Tail of Terror
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea!"
    Glutton Fang --- Fang Crusher
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho, now a Piratemon you'll be!"
    "Gappo... Gappo..." --- "Yo... ho ho, a pirate I'll be!"
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna! Gappo... Gappo..." --- "Yo ho ho on the golden sea! Yo ho ho, it's--"
    "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" --- "Yo ho ho, you'll all pirates be!"
    Eraser Claw --- Cyber Talons
    Sonic Dancing --- "Time for Track 1."
    No attack name --- Seismic Speaker (this was the dub name for "Cat Speaker", but this attack here was seemingly treated as another blast of "Sonic Dancing" in the original)
    Beat Slash --- Doom Drillpress (same dub name as in episode 30, but which was renamed as "Whirlwind Tunnel" in episode 31)
    Viking Vuffet --- finally named here as "Broadsword Fireblast" (and is a different attack than how Viking Vuffet was used earlier)
    DarkVolumon --- same (though, pronounced as "Dark-Vol-yoo-mon" instead of "Dark-Vol-oo-mon)

The top of Mermaimon's top is extended a bit higher to cover only her cleavage.

Also, there be a treasure trove of cliche pirate puns in this one, arr.

And the emotion with Ballistamon feeling upset about Shoutmon being turned evil is completely neutered in this one, as Ballistamon is so cheerful and calm when he supposed to be anxious and desperate.

bantyoliomon (that's how the Japanese DDC spelled BanchoLeomon's name, even despite the presence of a "re" instead of "ri") --- BanchoLeomon
    Beast Man --- same
    Shishi Raouzan --- omitted
    Flash Bancho Punch --- Bancho Punch
    Last edited by Sabrblade; 04-07-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    The wikis allege(d) that Mermaimon has an attack called Anchor Blitz, and Wikimon cited this episode as the source, but she definitely doesn't use it or anything of the description given in the original episode. Since it wasn't mentioned in Sabrblade's post, I'm assuming it's a fake attack, and have removed it from Wikimon, but can someone confirm that it wasn't added to the dub script?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Sure thing. Checking through the episode in English on the Golden Sea… Yo-ho-ho, it's pirates we be!

Negatory on any attack called Anchor Blitz in this episode. As I presume you noticed, the TCG only lists 2 attacks. I tried a google search, history tracking, and Wayback Machine to see if I could find an origin. While the Digital Empire does list a couple of fake attacks, the one in question isn't included. The first mention of the attack that I can see was when it was added to DigimonWiki on 29 Sept. 2008 by Lanate with no source of origin mentioned. Note, though, that this easily could have come from a now-defunct fan site.

Wikimon's a bit more fun. The attack originally listed was Earth Needle (cf. TDE) added on 10 Oct. 2007 by Ainz and then removed on 10 Dec. 2008, also by Ainz. It was re-added on 22 Oct. 2014 by Shadow Shinji, this time citing the Digimon Web Contest. Anchor Blitz was added on 28 Oct. 2014 by Shadow Shinji, sans-source (but presumably due to DigimonWiki). The description was copied from the DigimonWiki listing on 24 April 2015 by YoukoTaichou. The episode source was added on 5 June 2015 by Shadow Shinji, with a note of uncertainty as to whether that was when the attack actually appeared (note again that it does not appear).

Personally, I'd also be hesitant to call Earth Needle a canon attack as it was only ever included in the dot-art contest entry that doesn't even look like the Mermaimon we now know. Particularly, consider that Wikimon includes a note that the level of adaptation is questionable. Additionally, consider that absolutely no mention of this attack has been made outside of that contest.

My guess is that some early DigiDex site included Anchor Blitz, and early wiki contributors simply trusted the DigiDex site instead of wading through original material. Heck, I've even wondered where some of the attack descriptions actually come from since they rarely include an additional reference. I mean, I don't exactly blame them for trusting what should be a valid reference (as many now trust Wikimon and DigimonWiki), but it seems that this means that some level of fanon residual may remain.

I did make a listing of other attacks used in the episode, including some that weren't mentioned in Sabrblade's post. Consider it a double-confirmation on some, I guess.

• Twin Broadsword Boomerang and Broadsword Fireblast for Olegmon
    • Sun Sword for Starmon + Star Sword
    • Plasma Cannons for MailBirdramon
    • Olympia Kai and Medullia Punch for Mervamon
    • "I'm sick of being cure, I'm gonna get some tattoos and become Bikermon" for Cutemon
    • Cyber Blade, Tail of Terror, Fang Crusher, and Cyber Talons for Cyberdramon
    • Oblivion Cannon for Beelzemon
    • Rock and Roller for Shoutmon
    • Something I can't make out and Seismic Speaker for BalliBeastmon
    • Twin Fireball Strike and Doom Drillpress for OmniShoutmon
    • Bancho Punch for BanchoLeomon (Data Collection)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Thanks, Lhikan! I'll probably keep Earth Needle for now for completeness's sake, though I doubt we'll ever see it in anything. The difference between the LCD image and Mermaimon herself doesn't bother me, since such inconsistencies were common in the v-pets back then (Piemon having cap and bells, etc.). You're right about the inaccurate attack descriptions. I've been working to fix/complete all of the attack descriptions on Wikimon for some time now, and so far I'm done with A through MetalMamemon. I've come across several attack descriptions that were very inventive but completely inaccurate.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net