With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon electronics communication project

I come from the net

Digimon electronics communication project

Those of you who have been around for a long time might have heard of this before. I made some big improvements in the last few days, and now I'm going to share it

It can communicate with a range of 2-prong and 3-prong devices (no IR yet), for battle, trade and jogress.

Here's a zip containing code, circuit diagrams, pictures and documentation:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13tN...ew?usp=sharing

Updated dmcomm.ino for V20th:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-W...ew?usp=sharing
    Note: So far, this is only tested with V20th and original V-Pets, and might not work with other 2-prong devices!

If there are any electronics hobbyists here who might consider building one, please let me know. I can still make it easier to do. (Guests, feel free to email me.)

Even if I'm the only person who ever uses one of these, it has answered questions of wider interest over the years, and there may still be more such answers to come.

I haven't seen this on the forums before. Would you mind directing me to the thread originally made or explaining what this is?

I come from the net
    You're right, the posts were a long time ago and pretty scattered. Looks like this is the only thing I made a new thread about: http://withthewill.net/threads/11921...ction-analysis.
    (Edit: Hah, I found some files which suggest the original threads I was thinking of were actually on Net Ocean in 2006, so hardly anyone here will have seen them, and fewer still will remember. My sense of time is a strange thing )

It talks to V-Pets and Digivices using the battle connectors. You send it commands from a computer over USB, and it reports the results back. These results can be saved and used later - it can pretend to be anything that was saved previously. As I said in the first post, "It can communicate with a range of 2-prong and 3-prong devices, for battle, trade and jogress." I used previous versions to find out what the toys were saying, and run various tests.

I come from the net Da_Duke2000's Avatar
    I want to know EVERYTHING about this. And I mean, parts, coding, ability to program, mass produce, connectivity, etc.

EDIT: On second thought. Since I have a business to run, have no time, but sufficient money to burn, make me one . I would gladly commission one. Then, I can build a nice sexy housing for it. Heck, I've got a scrap V-Pet that I can even wire up for connectivity.

Umm...Why don't you PM me, heh.
    Last edited by Da_Duke2000; 04-21-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    ChinookCrafts @ Etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chinookcrafts

Digimon Tags, Legend of Zelda Rupees, Pokemon Evolution Stones, and more...

I come from the net
    I just spent 5 days on this that I didn't really have spare, so going to be pretty busy for the next while

The project is bigger than most V-Pets and attached to a USB cable: one of the previous versions had the connectors mounted on the side, but having them on wires is actually much easier to use. I'd also like to sort out a double-sided connector that can be squeezed directly between two V-Pets, so I don't have to mess around with elastic bands. (Not sure if my software currently works right for two V-Pets, but if I broke it at some point it should be simple enough to fix.)

I'm waiting for a PCB with the connector layout on it. If it works, I can get more made. There would be an argument for designing a PCB for the circuit too; I'll think about that later...

You could buy an Arduino Uno and get acquainted with it.

This is brilliant, I love it! What are the odds of being able to turn something like this into a universal D-link compatibility device? Ie, translating Pendulum battle info into something readable by a mini and vice versa?

Visit Flamon's Youtube Channel Add Flamon on Steam Add Flamon on DeviantArt
    Have you by chance looked into seeing or confirmed if the Digimon Link System is truly a protocol standard between digivices?

I come from the net
    What are the odds of being able to turn something like this into a universal D-link compatibility device? Ie, translating Pendulum battle info into something readable by a mini and vice versa?
    I don't think so, because of the timing. You would have to read the whole packet from one device, decide what it means, and then start sending a different packet to the other device, and by then you're too late.

Have you by chance looked into seeing or confirmed if the Digimon Link System is truly a protocol standard between digivices?
    What do you mean? All the 2-prong and 3-prong devices take turns to send 16-bit packets (2-prong done slightly differently from 3-prong). The meaning of the bits varies wildly depending on which device and what it's doing.

I come from the net
    The first connector PCB wasn't quite right. Waiting for the second version currently. And I had a go at doing a PCB for the circuit. If this all works, I could reasonably make a few of these devices.

*Much excite*
    The Greymon Kaiser (fight me.)

Current partners:
    DM20- WarGreymon + BlitzGreymon
    Pen20- Ouryumon + Dukemon

Original DigiMonk.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast