With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 11 of 144 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your Digimon headcanons?

I come from the net
    Kari dated both TK and Davis at different points doing high school, before realizing she had romantic attraction to neither

In the English dub Nancy had an affair and TK was a product of that.

Jeri is mildly autistic

Who DID Davis end up with? I really can't imagine him not pining over Hikari.

His wife, of course.

In all seriousness, we don't know because we were never told who any of them married (aside from Miyako/Ken and Sora/Yamato) since it didn't matter.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    Surprisingly, people get over crushes they had in 5th grade. Even in the actual show he gave up on her halfway through the series.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    Surprisingly, people get over crushes they had in 5th grade. Even in the actual show he gave up on her halfway through the series.
    It's too bad the dub didn't catch on to that and kept referencing his crush as means to let the others continue to make/poke fun at him in the dub.

For instance, in the Christmas episode, when Ken goes home at the end of the episode and others all note just how much he's changed for the better after all this time, Daisuke is confused and doesn't immediately recognize the changes in Ken that they're referring to, to which they all just have a chuckle about Daisuke's confusion.

In the dub, however, instead of being confused like Daisuke was in the original, Davis cries out "Oh no! I forgot to kiss Kari under the mistletoe!" (yes, he says this out loud right in front of everyone, including her), to which the others all react in eye-rolling manners and knock on Davis for his hopelessness, and then all laugh at him about it (because hopeless unrequited crushes are somehow hilarious to poke fun at?).
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I wouldn't say he had completely given up on her by series end (or he wouldn't have been so depressed in "The Door to Summer"), though he may have been less obsessive about it.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Jeri is mildly autistic
    Huh? ... Actually, thinking about it a moment, I suppose she arguably fits /*at least in the dub; I haven't seen the original*/. Of course, she also has most of the pitfalls common to deliberate portrayals, though her bond with Takato shoots down the second-most common /*and to me, most offensive*/ of said pitfalls. The most common mistake is still there, though...

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Which is...?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

This will probably annoy people no matter how I say it, so I'll be direct. The most common mistake is that deliberate fictional portrayals of autistics of average or higher intelligence are almost always female; in my experience, about 1:7, though a bit closer in more recent years. In reality, the entire spectrum is something like 2:1 male; it used to be more lopsided, but diagnostic methods have improved, drawing it closer. Some evidence suggests it's even more primarily male among "high functioning" (for that read "average or higher intelligence") autistics, but useful data is difficult to come by for reasons I won't bore you with.

It probably wouldn't annoy me if it weren't insanely consistent. Well, at least she's neither elderly nor widely disliked...

If anyone's wondering, the second most common mistake is to portray us as incapable of romantic or sexual inclinations. As I said before, that mistake clearly wasn't made.

There's a reason so many of us latch on to accidental portrayals (the aforementioned Kōshirō, the Lopmon from Tamers, both Terriermon, etc.): they tend to be more "correct" and less stereotypical.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrblade;
    It's too bad the dub didn't catch on to that and kept referencing his crush as means to let the others continue to make/poke fun at him in the dub.

For instance, in the Christmas episode, when Ken goes home at the end of the episode and others all note just how much he's changed for the better after all this time, Daisuke is confused and doesn't immediately recognize the changes in Ken that they're referring to, to which they all just have a chuckle about Daisuke's confusion.

In the dub, however, instead of being confused like Daisuke was in the original, Davis cries out "Oh no! I forgot to kiss Kari under the mistletoe!" (yes, he says this out loud right in front of everyone, including her), to which the others all react in eye-rolling manners and knock on Davis for his hopelessness,
    Even the dub dropped it after the Christmas episode and left it alone for the remaining 12 episodes. Granted he has a moment in the Revenge of the Diaboramon movie but I'm pretty sure the same idea was present in both versions "shouting out Kari's name"

and then all laugh at him about it (because hopeless unrequited crushes are somehow hilarious to poke fun at?).
    I don't know why it isn't? He's not in love with her, he just likes her. The fact that he's overbearing makes him far from sympathetic anyways. It's not like the kids are laughing at Tai, when Sora chose Matt. They're laughing at a kid, who in the context of the dub is downright creepy at times with his crush on Kari.