With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Digimon Fusion Episode 14: Showdown in the Sand Zone

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

Digimon Fusion Episode 14: Showdown in the Sand Zone

Episode thread for Episode 14 of Digimon Fusion

15th December on Nicktoons - check your local listings for air times.

No spoilers past this episode.

I come from the net CloneWarrior's Avatar
    New voice credits this ep:
    Queen - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
    MachineDramon - Michael Sorich
    SkullScorpionmon - Neil Kaplan

Also, Christopher Smith is now simply credited as Chris Smith.

On to my notes:

Lilithmon received a name caption at the start of the original episode, though Laylamon doesn’t. Reapmon still gets his.

Pharaohmon tells Mikey to “summon and upload” the hidden power of the zone. These writers just love to keep using download and upload in ways that make no sense, huh?

The “Pyramid of Resurrection” is referred to as the “Pyramid of Renewal” in the dub.

Likewise, the “Digimon revival program” becomes the “Digimon renewal sequence.”

Angie refers to the Digimon being reloaded as them being “downloaded.” Seriously writers, that word actually has a meaning. It’s not just “unspecified computer stuff.”

Scorpiomon/SkullScorpionmon being sliced up by Lilithmon/Laylamon goes unedited.

Mugendramon is dubbed as “MachineDramon,” with a capital ‘D.’

Jeremy brags that he “gets a chance to order people around.” Zenjirou simply stated that anything was better than having to stay up on the top of the pyramid.

The sound of Mugendramon’s stomach rumbling is changed to some kind of machine powering down noise, making Laylamon’s comment that he’s hungry kind of random.

Laylamon says that MachineDramon can “have seconds” in reference to him eating the barrier, despite him not having eaten anything until this point.

In the original, it was Jijimon who stated that they were outnumbered. In the dub, Chibitortomon states this and Jijimon insults him for saying something so obvious.

The flashbacks to Baalmon stabbing Angemon and the warriors’ bodies lying around are cut out.

In the scene that originally followed the opening theme, the pan up the pyramid to Mugendramon absorbing the remains of the barrier is cut, with the scene starting at the very end of the pan.

After Mugendramon roars, the part where all of the Scorpiomon are caught in the blast is replaced with the earlier scene of Mikey holding up the Fusion Loader and an explosion happening at the bottom of the pyramid behind him.

Rock and Roller doesn’t get a caption, while Rowdy Rocker did in the original.

Knightmon and the Pawnchessmon do not get updated to their DigiXros screen with subtitles like the others do.

“Just look what happened to the dinosaurs. See any of them around lately?” – Um, yes? Shoutmon, you live in a world that never had any natural animals in it. Not only are there dinosaurs everywhere, you shouldn’t really know anything about dinosaurs going extinct in a completely different world.

HiMugendramon becomes “HiMachineDramon” in the dub.

HiMugendramon’s “Mugen/Infinity Cannon” is dubbed as “Cosmic Cannon,” rather than “Giga Cannon” as it has been localized as before.

The close-up of Baalmon’s gun barrel after shooting HiMugendramon’s cannons is cut out.

Beelzebumon is dubbed as Beelzemon as we all knew.

He kind of dances around the word “reincarnation,” He states that Reapmon “returns” as Beelzemon. He “regenerated through the digital ether” and refers to Reapmon as his “former incarnation” that will be avenged.

Beelzemon pointing his Berenjena SDX directly at the screen is cut out.

Laylamon’s edited top is miscolored purple in the scene immediately following Beelzemon’s revival. It was miscolored in the original as well.

Beelzebumon’s “Death the Cannon” is dubbed as “Oblivion Cannon.”

The dub makes it sound like Shoutmon is stealing the kill from Beelzemon, while Beelzebumon specifically said he was leaving the final blow for Shoutmon in the original.

The scene of Lilithmon where her assets are quite bouncy is replaced with an earlier close up of her face.

Again, Laylamon’s lines removed all mention of exploding.

Okay, so these type names are getting stupid. Instead of being an Undead-type, Madleomon (no camel-case in the Data Files) is a “Zombie Zinger” type Digimon. His “Juoudaken/Fist of the Fallen Beast King” becomes “Beast Blaster” and his “Fudokusou/Necrotoxic Claw” becomes “Poison Claw.”

The Heaven Zone is called the Sky Zone according to the preview.
    Last edited by CloneWarrior; 12-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Zombie Zinger
    ..."Zombie" wasn't good enough? Gotdammit, somebody is coming up with these travesties of the English language, and I want to yell at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Inpu View Post
    Zombie Zinger
    ..."Zombie" wasn't good enough? Gotdammit, somebody is coming up with these travesties of the English language, and I want to yell at them.
    From what I understand, the name changes are being done by Bandai of America.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Okay people, the next person to go with 'leaked' will be suspended. This is the last warning I will give on the matter. We all know that they've been turning up early. Let's not drop people into shit because of stupidity. There is no issue with discussion occurring, just be careful >_>

Now onto the episode itself. I am disappointed. This was one of my fave episodes of Xros and Fusion..well it let it down. Reapmon's death to reincarnation to Beelzemon did not have the same impact due to them playing background music that didn't fit.

Additional notes and commentary:

Baalmon originally declared a refusal to die right then and there, while Reapmon just groans out a "N-No!"

Where there was originally silence, the dub adds new commentary on the formation of the giant pyramid from Angie.

In pretty much every frontal shot in this episode, Bastemon's chest is adorned by its yellow covering, and all of the red markings on her belly are erased.

Zenjirou originally asked just how much data the program has to download, while Jeremy instead comments "I guess it must be dial-up". Wonder how many kids these days would remember that.

Originally, the Monitamon were simply observing the recklessness of Xros Heart, noting how they're bound to lose this time, while here one of the Monitamon instead instantly declares the Fusion Fighters to be finished, and another one hopes they are since they'll have no one to spy on if the Fusion Fighters lose.

As Baalmon/Reapmon watches the others fight, in addition to the aforementioned edits made to Bastemon's torso, her whole belly (minus its golden rings) is darkened in shadow.

Baalmon didn't feel worthy of the Goddess's blessing, while Reapmon didn't feel worthy of the Queen's healing powers.

Another "Hottokenai!" moment altered. This one was simply "I'm not leaving!" instead of "As if I could turn my back on you." Still fitting, but all these "Hottokenai!" bits being erased is a bit unnerving (since even Nick.com's bio for Mikey acknowledged his "I can turn my back on them!" motto).

Immediately after the barrier was destroyed, no edits were made to Bastemon's torso (since her arms and hands were obscuring her chest from view) except for her red markings on her stomach being erased.

Knightmon: "Zounds! Our situation is dire!"
    Ballistamon: "I dunno who this 'Zounds' is, but I agree."

Shoutmon thinks that MachineDramon's drooling is him "leaking oil", despite it still being colored like drool in the dub.

Upon seeing Mugedramon/MachineDramon pick up the Scorpiomon/SkullScorpionmon to eat them, Dorulumon originally asked "What?" in confusion as to what was happening. Here, he instead asked "What now?" in annoyance.

Akari: "The Scorpiomon..."
    Cutemon: "They're glowing, kyu."
    Zenjirou: "Are you telling me she's sacrificing her own subordinates?"
    Angie: "What's he doing?" (good line)
    Cutemon: "Absorbing them." (good line)
    Jeremy: "Just like in Planet Munchers 3!" (no, just no)

Oh my goodness... the dub did something COOL here! Right after Reapmon had his flashback to Angemon telling him that strength alone is not what makes a warrior, it cuts back to a shot of Reapmon's face, and for a brief instant, there was a moment of silence. No dialogue (where there actually was some in the original), and the music was dying down at this point, so we just focused on Reapmon's solemn face as he took everything in and finally understood it all. For that brief second, the dub felt more powerful and emotional that the original version did. It was quick and subtle, but small things like this are still great in and of themselves.

The only way I think the above scene could have been any better was for the flashback to have included the very soft instrumental version of "X4B: The Guardian" that played in the original, only to have it momentarily dim to quietness for that brief moment of silence the dub created, and pick back up for the action scene that follows.

Gorgeous animation is still gorgeous.

What did Knightmon say in his DigFuse sequence pose? And did the PawnChessmons say "Yes, Sire!"?

This time, it was Shoutmon who spoke the name "Shoutmon X4K" ("Times Four Kay").

HiMugendramon's/HiMachineDramon's "high-spec power" goes unnamed in the dub.

Lilithmon: " I'll kill you with the strongest weapon around as a send-off gift you can take with you to Hell... With these Mugen Cannons. Annihilate him to dust!"
    Laylamon: "Oh, don't go yet! Say hello to my not-so-little friends! And say goodbye to the future. Since nothing survives the Comic Cannon! Fire!"

Shoutmon X4's pleas for Reapmon to hang in there feel less anxious than in the original, in which he was more screaming and begging for Baalmon to not die.

The BGM played here kinda ruins the mood of Reapmon's death scene.

Laylamon more directly insults Reapmon for his interference here than Lilithmon spoke of Baalmon in the original.

Beelzemon's voice is AWESOME!

Mikey: "Whoa. Love the new threads."

Deputymon's "Yippie yo ki yay!" sounded really awful in comparison to the rest of his sentence, which sounded a lot better.

When Deputymon asked to join up with Mikey, he makes it sound like it's only temporary as he only wants to join up "for a spell".

I don't think I'll ever get used to this, but like I said about the last episode, Mikey's young adult voice just does not fit the Chibi Taiki in the Digimon Data Collection.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrblade View Post
    What did Knightmon say in his DigFuse sequence pose? And did the PawnChessmons say "Yes, Sire!"?
    "Forsooth" and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CloneWarrior View Post
    HiMugendramon’s “Mugen/Infinity Cannon” is dubbed as “Cosmic Cannon,” rather than “Machine Cannon” as it has been localized as before.
    It was "Giga Cannon" in the dub of Adventure, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CloneWarrior View Post
    He kind of dances around the word “reincarnation,” He states that Reapmon “returns” as Beelzemon. He “regenerated through the digital ether” and refers to Reapmon as his “former incarnation” that will be avenged.
    Still glad the implication was still there, as I feared they'd try to instead right it off outright and openly declare it a "Digivolution" instead.

Xros Wars introduced so many new processes that were alternatives to Evolution, and I have been hoping and praying and most, if not all, might be retained for the dub. Thus far, DigiXros (renamed "DigiFuse"), Absorption, and (as implied here) Reincarnation have been kept, so that just leaves "Change" and Transformation to go (both of which happen to occur in the next Zone).

Quote Originally Posted by Vande View Post
    Now onto the episode itself. I am disappointed. This was one of my fave episodes of Xros and Fusion..well it let it down. Reapmon's death to reincarnation to Beelzemon did not have the same impact due to them playing background music that didn't fit.
    Really? All issues I took with some of the changes aside, I still felt it was really cool and dubbed relatively well. All the stuff with Reapmon and his inner struggle was handled very maturely, with each line of his and Mikey's being almost word for word spot on with those of Baalmon and Taiki. If there were anything I felt that the dub just absolutely refused to downplay or sugarcoat, it's the history and redemption of Baalmon/Reapmon. The only things they really changed about it were toning down both the religious stuff ("goddess" into "Queen", "blessing"/"grace"/"prayer"/etc. skirted around, etc.) and the more direct references to death and murder, but even those still seemed to have a presence here in spite of the dub trying to hide them. Only the music ever seemed to be off for me, but the rest of it all seemed very appropriate and well done overall.
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrblade View Post
    It was "Giga Cannon" in the dub of Adventure, at least.
    The one time I don't check to make sure my sketchy memories of the dub are correct. >_>

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I assume it didn't, since it would probably have been mentioned otherwise, but did the dub give Mugendramon's "energy tail" attack a name?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net