With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubbed vs Original names

Dubbed vs Original names

I grew up on the dub of Digimon (when I wasn't busy glaring at the Pokémon anime for getting worse, or watching Dragon Ball Z). The dubbed names of things had no reason to sound weird to me.

But now that I'm older, and starting to learn the Original names of Digimon and other things in the series, the dubbed names just sound so weird.

So anyways, which do you prefer? The Dubbed names or the Original names?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    For me, its original. Though often the spelling of the Japanese sources isn't much better than the English ones, so I sometimes spell Digimon's names differently from how, say, the Reference Book would.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt
    With Digimon Adventure, they kept their original names and gave them all 'nicknames' that were mostly close to the original names, barring Koushiro becoming Izzy. I liked how they did it there.

With other stuff, eh.. If I know the original name, I'm more likely to use that, but some dub names don't bother me.

Ain't got no mojo...
    The dub names just don't make sense to me because they keep the setting in Japan. That, and they're wholly inconsistent. Why change Takato's last name from Matsuda to Matsuki? Why Yagami to Kamiya? The dub is notorious for taking already existing Japanese surnames and making them... different Japanese surnames. It's bizarre.

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt
    I believe the popular folk lore explanation for the Yagami switch was what it says backwards. But yes, some of the changes really are just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Qu33n0f1c3 View Post
    I believe the popular folk lore explanation for the Yagami switch was what it says backwards. But yes, some of the changes really are just odd.
    There a dozen different stories for this one, and as tradition dictates, the real story isn't quite so exciting.

Translator made a mistake, wasn't noticed until it was further into production.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I generally prefer the original names, or at least what I think the creators were getting at with the original names. The one exception I can think of is Tailmon, which sounds kinda generic. At any rate, since I only started really looking into the Japanese versions a few years ago, my brain sometimes thinks of the sub name for one Digimon and the dub for another.
    Procrastinator (n)-A person who

(Signature to be finished later)

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    I pretty much grew up with the japanese original, since I got internet in 2001 and never felt the urge to watch any sort of dub after that. With the characters, it feels just so much more right (they are japanese and hence have japanese names) and with the Digimon... Well, I never got why they changed those names, anyway.

Add Py687 on Steam Visit Py687 on XBox Live
    This feels like a déjŕ vu topic. I prefer original terms, but most of the time it's easier for me to remember human names using their dub variants, up to Frontier. A lot of that has changed, however, and I'm comfortable with either one.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    This one has been done before, but I can't be assed to find the topic right now.

For me it's the Original names for most of the time. There is the slightly odd time that I do prefer the dub name over the original.

Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast