With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed vs Original names

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Again, though, the names have been spelled all kinds of ways. Tri uses "Biyomon," while Adventure used "Piyomon." A lot of Japanese viewers probably didn't notice either spelling, because it's just window dressing. What the name actually is doesn't change. And of course it would be extremely stupid if it was changed in the original version, which has always been essentially consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Since when does that happen?
    As I alluded to earlier, in Digimon Adventure 02 they had Dingo calling himself a "Digi-Destiny [sic]", and Chichos's Gotsumon says "digievolución." Later on, if I remember correctly, Digimon Savers' first opening used the dub names of the levels in Digimoji. So it's been going on for a while. Funny enough, though, the American Chosen Children in 02 call themselves Chosen Children, and their Digimon evolve instead of "digivolving."
    I think Chicho’s Gotsumon saying “digievolucion” is a nod at the Latin American dub or European Spanish dub rather than at the English dub. Digievolucion is the Spanish equivalent of digivolution, and it’s what they actually say in both those dubs.

I use dub names for my fanfiction but my characterisations are based on the original series. My reason for this is mainly honourifics like "-san" "-chan". I am not Japanese so if I use Japanese names and am unable to show the culture, I feel it's better just using the English names with the original characterisation.

The best dub name ever in the whole franchise was "professor Fábio" in brazilian dub of Adventure. I laughed when it first aired and still laugh to this day.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by citramon View Post
    The best dub name ever in the whole franchise was "professor Fábio" in brazilian dub of Adventure. I laughed when it first aired and still laugh to this day.
    Who's that - Gennai?

Or Daigo perhaps?

[QUOTE=Muur;347505]
    Quote Originally Posted by citramon View Post
    Who's that - Gennai?

Or Daigo perhaps?
    Fujiyama-sensei from the kids' school

Completely digital
    Tangent. I’m impressed Saban kept the name Fujiyama instead of calling him Mr. Frederick or something. It’s not like they ever fully committed to Japan or America? At that point

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    It doesn't really take place anywhere. You'd have a hard time finding people with the dub characters' names in America, let alone Japan.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Completely digital
    I assume it took place in an alternate very westernized Japan

I seen nobody say anything about DemiDevimon on here, or in Japanese lore, Pico Devimon. There is another Digimon that I only seen 1 time in the 38 pages, but not its Japanese name. It is the other true Devimon child form, Tsukaimon, or in Japan, Tukaimon. Actually it does some sense. Patamon digivolves into an angel Angemon, while Tsukaimon, being the dark version of Patamon, but look just like Patamon, digivoles into Devimon though.
    Try my quiz on Sporcle. My name is CuddyFox on it. Have fun with the quizzes. I worked hard on them. I made some of them easier. https://www.sporcle.com/playlists/CuddyFox/digimon-time

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Tsukaimon and Tukaimon are just different ways of romanizing the same thing. I prefer original names, but have no problem retaining the S in Tsukaimon, since to my mind it's closer to how the word is pronounced.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net