With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 263334353637 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed vs Original names

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I suppose but they fall under "Japanese changed to English to be more understanding" or something. I personally would leave the "interesting" ones, it's just the generic names in English I think should be changed (or shit like "Orgemon"). For some listed though, I do prefer Tapirmon, though that's cuz it doesn't sound stereotypical English and it's more obvious what a Tapir is than a "Baku"... whatever that is. I just know it as that place in Azerbijan. Looks like it's just the same thing as a Baku "similar", so I guess it's a fair change. I'm fine with it, as it's not a word you usually use for English as it's "South American/Asian original" apparently, so it's exotic enough IMO

Leapardmon and Apemon, fair enough but I guess its obvious why they did those names. I'm used to those names but if I were to have chosen 20 years ago, I suppose the Japaense names would've been more interesting.

I'd say Beastmon is fine though, it's a "close enough" and works better in English writing. I do prefer her original dub name though, it made her seem really mystic and shit. I don't like the sound of "Bastemon"... it just seems, generic and boring and without knowing that it means sexy egptyain cat girl or something, it's not interesting enough. Persiamon, however, was a good choice, since it's something that the English speaking language are more similar with. Like I said before, I prefer the first name they did but it's no longer what comes to min when I see that sexy cat show up. I see "Beastmon". Dammit Fusion. I also feel like they drew her a lot more feminine for Fusion and later cuz I don't recall her ever being that hot before

But yeah my main argument was just, the ones with English names are English because they are then not generic in Japanese. This isnt the case in English however, so change it. It's using the example naming premise that they did.

Digimon wikis policy is to use first anime dub name. This allows us to avoid the worst of the worst dub names: ebonwumon and zhuqiaomon (and to a lesser extent darkmon and teddymon). Those are the ones where the fuckup was so huge it can't be considered a matter of taste, but actively destructive to reader understanding.

That's why we end up with laylamon and beastmon. It's not ideal, but better than the Bandai fuckup with the holy beasts.

IDK, when Fusion has Layla in a one vs the other 500 of Lillithmon it seems dumb. I feel like it should be "most common or known name". No one uses the name Laylamon. Plus that Super Xros game has the Fusion version as a different Digimon to the original. I think it should just remain to the name it has in every instance but one

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    That's one nice thing about sticking to the original names. They make sense and they aren't subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I suppose but they fall under "Japanese changed to English to be more understanding" or something. I personally would leave the "interesting" ones, it's just the generic names in English I think should be changed (or shit like "Orgemon"). For some listed though, I do prefer Tapirmon, though that's cuz it doesn't sound stereotypical English and it's more obvious what a Tapir is than a "Baku"... whatever that is. I just know it as that place in Azerbijan. Looks like it's just the same thing as a Baku "similar", so I guess it's a fair change. I'm fine with it, as it's not a word you usually use for English as it's "South American/Asian original" apparently, so it's exotic enough IMO
    Again, though, it kind of contradicts the theory. Instead of just making all the names exotic and obscure or making all of them obvious, the changes are just random. For Bakumon specifically, I'm betting lots of people know what a tapir is, so it's not as "exotic" as the original/"season 4" name (the Frontier dub had a lot of instances where the names were changed to sound more foreign, hence Bakumon being left alone instead of being changed to Tapirmon; I've heard it theorized that the dubbers took their cue from Yu-Gi-Oh, which was popular around that time and liked to change monster names so that they sounded more foreign or obscure). If the point is to make the name sound cool and foreign, it doesn't matter if people don't know what a baku is. I'm sure most fans of the dub don't know what "Agumon" is supposed to mean, and the dubbers themselves clearly don't know what "Piyomon" means or they presumably wouldn't have misspelled it. It's worse, though, when they misspell words from their own language. Bandai may spell Ogremon as "Orgemon" most of the time, but at least to them it's a foreign word. There's no real excuse for junk like "Brimpmon," "Centarumon," etc.

I'd say Beastmon is fine though, it's a "close enough" and works better in English writing. I do prefer her original dub name though, it made her seem really mystic and shit. I don't like the sound of "Bastemon"... it just seems, generic and boring and without knowing that it means sexy egptyain cat girl or something, it's not interesting enough. Persiamon, however, was a good choice, since it's something that the English speaking language are more similar with. Like I said before, I prefer the first name they did but it's no longer what comes to min when I see that sexy cat show up. I see "Beastmon". Dammit Fusion.
    I'm not sure I understand how Bastemon could possibly sound more generic than Beastmon. There's only one Digimon based on Bastet, while Beast is one of the more common Digimon species. You could use it for any Digimon from Garurumon to Leomon.

I also feel like they drew her a lot more feminine for Fusion and later cuz I don't recall her ever being that hot before
    I don't know. It's always been part of her character. Mentioned in the profile and all that.
    https://wikimon.net/images/4/48/St-834.jpg
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    That's one nice thing about sticking to the original names. They make sense and they aren't subject to change.
    Also, "cool" varies depending on the person.
    What's cool for someone, is not for somebody else.

As with any anime, I prefer the original over the dub. No matter how "bad" the Japanese names may or may not be, they are the original names and I stand by them.

Why keep Takato but everyone else has an English name? Why Takuya, Kouji and Kouichi keep their names but we get JP, Tommy and Zoe? It's so inconsistent.

I hate how the Tri dub kept the English names despite wanting to make a quality dub. The Saban dub was garbage, we should have moved on from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Luna View Post

I hate how the Tri dub kept the English names despite wanting to make a quality dub. The Saban dub was garbage, we should have moved on from it.
    Reverting the names would've been the terrible idea, the show is 20 years old, you'll be alienating the core fan base the dub is aimed at by changing all the names/terminology. Especially since the games use said names as well. Their chance to use the same names was in the early nineties and now it's waaaaaaaaay too late to revert the more known parts.

The Digimon are more known under their dub names than they are their Japanese

So no, the dub was faithful, the most faithful the dub could be. It kept music, censored nothing and they also stayed faithful to the source material of the dub as well

I'm interested in what you call Pokemon in your avatar... because if you call it "Wooper", you're a hypocrite.

Sadly, if I say I love Takeshi and Upaa and it's evolution Nuo, the average Pokemon fan won't know what I'm talking about. But if I say I love Hikari and Tailmon, the average digimon fan will understand. I'm not sure why, but Pokemon and Digimon can't be compared in that department. Most Pokemon fans just like the games and don't watch the subbed anime (or the anime at all, which is their loss cause it's great) , unlike Digimon where the anime is more popular. Even on this forum, I've seen more users using the Japanese names. Or how searching for Tapirmon or Lobomon on Wikimon sends you to Bakumon or Wolfmon's page.

I still think Tri should have stayed as faithful to the Japanese as they could, as is the case for most dubs these days. The Saban dub does not have to be referenced. Just like how the new Cloverway Sailor Moon dub uses Usagi, and not Serena like the old terrible Dic dub, even though kids grew up with "Serena". I don't think anyone would be alienated by the Japanese names cause we're all mostly well acquainted with them.
    Last edited by Sapphire Luna; 05-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.

So you don't always use the original names. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Luna View Post
    I don't think anyone would be alienated by the Japanese names cause we're all mostly well acquainted with them.
    Nah, just a vocal minority. I guarantee the English dub has been seen by more people than the Japanese sub for Digimon. Probably something like ten times more.

I 100% think the Saban dub SHOULD be referenced.

The Danganronpa series used the Japanese terms in the English dub of the anime, ignoring the accepted terms in the Dub of the game, which is a terrible dub because it's ignoring the source material they're adapting, when they used the entire dubbed voice cast (bar a few). The reaction to this changed was very mixed.

The only people that would use the original names religiously, are the hardcore fans and even then, I would put myself under that (feel free not to count me) and I'm dub all the way. The hardcore fan base is never the highest amount of numbers.

Wikimon also ins't the main Wiki used, which is probably because it's not on Fandom. I do like to switch between both though, as I like that Wikimon lists every evolution ever used in the history of the franchise.

So back to my point, you dont change the already existing names/terms used in the English dub. The characters have been consistently used for 22 years and it's what people know. Tri has been dubbed as faithfully as it should be. Plus again, the English dub of the Pokemon anime and other long running shows like Yugioh, are still using the terms and names that originated 20 years ago. The main difference however, is that for the most part, the new characters and Mons are retaining their names (provided it's not something like, a new Gallantmon, that wouldn't be called ____Dukemon"). Pokemon and Yugioh are slightly different in this because if a character has a Japanese name, 99% of the time, they'll be changed to some generic name like Fred. If Hacker's Memory was Pokemon/Yugioh, the main characters would be called "John, Fred, Billy Bob and Sharon", not "Keisuke, Ryuji, Chitose and Erika". Now yes, Fusion did change a few names around but that was a little kid's show so just falls under the brackets of Pokemon/Yugioh etc. Or worse, they'll have a pun name. I actually hate those. Oh he uses Rock Pokemon, call him Brock. But Brock is from the 90s, so he should stay. I do find name changes dumb when theyre new new changes but once the dub name is established, that's it.

My point just remains, the already existing names should be kept as they are, changing them is the part when the dub becomes terrible. Biyomon was Biyomon in the early 90s and should remain Biyomon in the early 2090s. The dub is made for the English fandom, her name has been Biyomon the entire time. The English version of the character is not called Piyomon. Everything else about Tri is almost word for word in the parts I've seen, so they've been as faithful as they can be, whilst also being faithful to the English dub. For a show like Digimon, this is massive because you have their counterparts in Pokemon and Yugioh changing every single name for no reason and also replacing all the music even in 2018. I follow both series and when a new card debuts in Japanese, I make sure not to get used to it because they always are something random in English lol. Then we have one of the newest Digimon, "Zubamon". 20 years ago, that'd be changed to IDK, "GoldSwordFacemon" but nah, we get the Japanese name. That's fine. They've stuck to Japanese names for new stuff but stuck with what's known for the rest. That's how it should be done.

I do find you calling it Wooper slightly funny though. There's plenty of places you can go to refer to the Pokemon as their Japanese names, though I wont suggest any (I do browse some) cuz I assume that'd fall under advertising.

I actually post in the weekly dubbed Pokemon anime threads and Jesus, the amount of haters for the dub is unreal. Without fail, there'll be people coming in purely to shit on it and it's usually the same people lol. I'm like, mate the point is to discuss this dubbed episode, not bitch that "only 3 pieces of music remained and why is that random move not called its Japanese name?". There's a lot of Pokemon/Yuguioh fans who do the exact same thing. It's just this fandom in particular is the worst about it by far.
    Last edited by Muur; 05-19-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Add Tero on DeviantArt
    I use original names even in pokemon. And if someone doesn't understand what I'm talking about I'll just explain it to them. There is one anime whoever where I don't always use Japanese names but that has more to do with the characters(except some anime only characters) not being originally Japanese than anything else.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 263334353637 LastLast