With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make a well written female character in Digimon

I'm a Maniac
    Also I'm gonna come to the defense of Hikari because even though I agree with most in that shes dull I think she has her strong points. The only issue is that most of her strong points were underutilized and here are a few reasons why I liked her.

1. Her Digimon partner was probably the most developed/interesting in either Adventure or 02.

2. Her Digimon partner design wise was also cool (skimpy outfit aside)

3. For someone who was kind of plain she was the source of a lot of weird/interesting stuff happening to her. The possession in Adventure & the Dark Ocean spells in 02. Heres where I think the writers really dropped the ball & specifically on the dark ocean front because that could have been the source of some great revelations about her as a person. That was the case for Ken & why he went there and I'm thinking it could have been handled similar to how Juri was in Tamers. A seemingly nice girl who hid her niceness behind pain or suppressed feelings.

Completely digital
    Also remember that in Adventure, Hikari was, what, about 6 years old?

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDramon View Post
    Also remember that in Adventure, Hikari was, what, about 6 years old?
    She's 8, and too bad she continues to be dull into season 2 and beyond. Her digimon partner's high quality has nothing to do with her. Hikari's a magical girl (as in she has special powers- doesn't make her a well written character) and a christ-like figure who only has good traits. Even her "temptation" is WORLD PEACE. If she has no real character flaws, and is always characterized as the damsel.
    Nightfall on the Frontier, a Tamers/Frontier Crossover Sequel

Add HarleyThomas on Facebook
    Because being overly dependant on her brother isn't a flaw.

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyThomas View Post
    Because being overly dependant on her brother isn't a flaw.
    She loses that "flaw" later. And she isn't overly-dependent. She's never shown to be EMOTIONALLY dependent on him. She's just so fucking weak, she can't do anything without her men (Taichi and Takeru) propping her up. It's not a character flaw either. She's just too fucking weak.

She's got to be about the most perfect kid on the show.

-Magnanimous
    -Kind
    -Intelligent/intuitive
    -Selfless
    etc.

Completely digital
    Those are Hikari's good points. I think the problem is that we never see her having any personal goals, or ambition, or life outside of her role in the main plot. I don't think that a character needs flaws. But a character usually has limitations, and must work around those limitations, or overcome those limitations and become better or stronger, to accomplish the character's goals. That's usually where the struggles come in, and where a character shows (or discovers) his/her weakness(es).

I'd say that Hikari is underdeveloped as a character.

I come from the net
    Rika wasn't that bad? I mean you could change her gender to male and not much would be loss. I mean a big deal is made about how she doesn't behave like a traditional girl but that's just good ol sexism from Japan than anything

Junior Commander
    I'd say she's underdeveloped too, which is why I say she's a bad character. Since she's female, she qualifies as a bad female character. I think a character needs flaws to be believable and a "round" character. I don't care if a waitress in some random restaurant scene has no personality because she's a waitress. But Hikari is clearly meant to be one of the main characters in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Rika wasn't that bad? I mean you could change her gender to male and not much would be loss. I mean a big deal is made about how she doesn't behave like a traditional girl but that's just good ol sexism from Japan than anything
    Actually some things WOULD be lost. A huge part of her development is how her mother doesn't understand that girls can be whatever they want to be, and not just stereotypically "girly". A huge source of conflict is precisely because Rumiko doesn't understand that and tries to force Ruki into being something she's not. If Ruki were a boy this wouldn't work at all. And I think it's a GOOD thing that Ruki's character could work as a male, because it's a GOOD thing that she's not stereotypically female. I'm not sure how her character has to do with sexism. She wouldn't be a "typical girl" anywhere. Not even in the United States. People would still think she's not a "traditional girl". She would be shunned in schools in the States too.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 06-17-2013 at 03:12 AM.

So I'm going to put one of my characters from my story in here, one the the main DDs. I actually don't think this character is "a good female character" and needs quite a bit of work, as she doesn't have enough flaws or strengths yet, nor is there really anything that sets her apart from being a male character.

Sabryna (Sabre)
    Physical discription: slightly muscled, but still thin build, tanned golden skin colour. around 5 foot even, 100 pounds. clothing usually consists a t-shirt and skirt, with crew cut athletic socks, and running shoes. Hair is dyed silver, part of what got her, the nickname Sabre, and tied in a ponytail most times. Eyes are a turquoise. (yes I looked up average height and weight for a 13yo female for this.)

Personallity: Sabryna, or Sabre as everyone likes to call her, which she only really approves of her close friends doing, is a 13 year old girl. She is a bit stronger than a lot of her female friend because she works out often. using this to relieve stress in her life. Her family is her two parents, younger brother, and small dog. She's an average studen in middle school, mostly Bs a few As here and there. Luckily her parents work almost opposite shifts so she sees at least one of them when she's at home. She is often stressed over school, trying to please her parents buy getting better grades, sometimes to the point of even overworking herself, and passing out at her desk when doing homework late into the night, even if it's to no avail, she still wants to try. She even babysits her little brother when her parents are out toghter.

Strengths: Physical Prowess, compassionate.

Weaknesses: prone to over reacting stress related agrivation, stubborn.

Edit: Prone to overreacting fits my 'main' main character as one of his flaws more.
    Last edited by Mystipony; 06-17-2013 at 03:23 AM.
    Water: 35 Liters, Carbon: 20kg, Ammonia: 4 Liters, Lime: 1.5kg, Phosphorous: 800g, Salt: 250g, Saltpeter: 100g, Sulfur: 80g, Florine: 7.5g, Iron: 5g, Silicon: 3g, and trace amounts of 15 other elements.

I come from the net
    The messiah archetype can work its just very tricky. I love Simon from Lord of the Flies even though he has no flaws other than being physically weak and crippling shy.

Even in Adventure Hikari wasn't that bad because she was thrusted at the end of the season anyways only really joining for the Dark Masters arc. Its just in 02 they did nothing with her. They didn't develop her, they didn't deconstruct the Messiah archetype, she was just there to be special and be a bitch to Daisuke by flirting with Takeru to aggravate him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast