With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Follow Raiden On Twitter Visit Raiden's Youtube Channel Add Raiden on DeviantArt

What are you reading?

Anything applies - manga, comics, novels, magazines. Heck, even cartons of milk (...OK, that was a weird example). If you want, you can also tell us WHY you're reading it - sort of recommending it to the rest of us (who knows, maybe we can all fangirl and -boy about it later).

So, I just recently bought all English volumes of Alice in the Country of Hearts/Clover/Joker and Crimson Empire. They're originally otome games (a.k.a. dating sim aimed at girls) made by Quinrose and they've begun to write manga series of them.

...Alice is kind of a refreshing take on the original novel - all the characters in the story are human, but while the love interest guys look like real humans, the ordinary residents of Wonderland don't have faces. Or more like, they have a nose and a mouth but no eyes. ...Oh, and some of the main characters have animal features (the Cheshire Cat has cat ears, the White Rabbit and March Hare have rabbit ears, Dormouse has mouse ears) - I don't really like catboys and such stuff, but these characters are honestly really interesting. And the ears suit them (and aren't there just for show or to be cute). Since really... these characters are anything but cute. Let me elaborate a bit.

The Mad Hatter is a mafia boss who beats up the March Hare on a constant basis. Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee find killing a really fun game and think nothing of it (they're just cruel children capable of taking adult forms at will). The Queen of Hearts still orders the beheading of people (and she's the Mad Hatter's elder sister). The White Rabbit is a yandere (a.k.a. psychotic boyfriend) - he loves Alice and tries to kill anyone who gets close to her. Ace, the Knight of Hearts, is cheerful almost all the time, but kills people without a care in the world - he's an assassin that helps out the resident "doctor" of Wonderland, Julius (based on Time from the original novel). ...The Cheshire Cat is really one of the more sane characters in the story (surprise!). ...And his boss Mary Gowland gets incredibly pissed each time he sees the Mad Hatter - you see, Mary's name comes from "Merry-Go-Round" and he hates the Hatter for revealing it to the whole world. In one scene of the manga, he whips out his violin, transforms it into a rifle and starts shooting at Hatter and the March Hare. XD (Oh, that's another interesting change - these people are capable of magicking weapons out of thin air. The Hatter himself uses a machine gun.) The people of Wonderland have clocks where their hearts should be - Ace constantly wants to listen to Alice's heartbeat since it calms him down, and it can get a bit creepy at times. XD

And this... is the Mad Hatter. He's... quite a problematic love interest for Alice. He looks exactly like her ex-boyfriend, but acts the total opposite - he's sarcastic, mean and violent, and always acts frivolous and insincere when he flirts with her. He's just your typical two-faced mafia boss who gets bored easily and messes around with the heads of people. (And I love him for it. His deadpan declarations are just too funny, along the lines of "And you believed me? Of course it was a lie.") ...One of the conversations between Alice and Hatter:

Hatter: Young lady.
    Alice: What?
    Hatter: When I look at you, I remember the woman who broke me. You have her precious face. She was painfully kind... and a greater woman than you.
    Alice: *pause* That is annoying!!
    Hatter: Right?
    Alice: And you're... kidding, right?
    Hatter: *immediately* Of course I am.
    Last edited by Raiden; 04-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "Everything is idiocy if you choose to look at it in the proper light." - Belgarath, The Belgariad book 1

lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

"Doing the deeds of evil men makes you evil. 'Duty' is not an excuse. Not to your god, or anyone else's." - unknown RPG Maker game

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Right now I'm rereading Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories (currently on "The Dark Eidolon"). Zothique is the final human-inhabited continent of earth in the far future, when boundaries between worlds are at their thinnest. I'm going back through the stories because I soon hope to get around to playing (or rather, acting as Keeper) more of the Call of Cthulhu RPG. When running CoC scenarios I don't like to use creatures that were invented post-Lovecraft or solely for the purpose of the game, as many of the creatures in the Dreamlands sourcebook are, so I'm looking for analogous creatures from stories set in a time when the Dreamlands are beginning to spill into the waking world.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

All the current manga/manhwa/manhua that I read: far too many to list here so I'm giving the link to my MAL manga list in case anyone is interested (I doubt it). It excludes several manhwa series but w/e.

But I haven't had much time to read actual books lately. I finally bought Inheritance (Deluxe Edition) by Christopher Paolini sometime ago, just to finish the goddamn series, but I haven't even made the halfway point.

Last quarter I signed up for a dystopian fiction-centric English class, and we read We (Zamyatin Yevgeny), The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood), V for Vendetta (Alan Moore and David Lloyd), and Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein), with a small tangent into Lawful Interception (Cory Doctorow).

Follow Raiden On Twitter Visit Raiden's Youtube Channel Add Raiden on DeviantArt
    Speaking of actual novels, I've been re-reading David Eddings' stuff recently. He was the one that introduced me to fantasy literature when I was 12, and he's still my favorite author thirteen years later.

I've also bought all books in Janny Wurts' "The Wars of Light and Shadow" series. Janny is quite an awesome author - I love her for her intricate and incredibly complex language. Sometimes her English is so hard to read that I need to use a dictionary (then again, I'm no native speaker). And don't get me started on her characters. I adore Arithon s'Ffalenn! <3 A black-haired, green-eyed aloof sorcerer who sulks all the time and insults other people (and he's the nice one! His brother is the jerk despite his sunnier attitude - he acts like a holier-than-thou Templar with a god complex...).
    "Everything is idiocy if you choose to look at it in the proper light." - Belgarath, The Belgariad book 1

lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

"Doing the deeds of evil men makes you evil. 'Duty' is not an excuse. Not to your god, or anyone else's." - unknown RPG Maker game

Alright.

So people here may or may not know this, but I'm a huge sucker for yuri manga. For the past few months a lot of good series have been updated to my delight. To spread the joy, if anyone's interested, here're a few recommended mangaka off the top of my head: Miman, Amano Shuninta, and Takemiya Jin. Morinaga Milk is also very well-known.

As for shounen series, I finally started Konjiki no Gash Bell, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself liking it a lot. Even though it's somewhat of a typical shounen manga, the humor and comedic art panels really caught my interest. The story is developing quite nicely (I'm about two-thirds of the way through), and while it's not a complete page-turner like many of my favorites, I still find myself sneaking in a chapter or two whenever I have the time.

Choku by Tanigawa Nico (author of It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular) is great for the most part. It has an odd heroine and introduction, but the humor picks up nicely. Sadly the ending was disappointingly cliché, and it put a damper on my rating, but otherwise it's still a fun, short(-ish) read.

Sora no Shita Yane no Naka is a deceptively long, slightly slice-of-life read focused on a girl named Kanae who decided not to pursue a college degree, but enter the workforce right after high school. It's a two-volume, 25-chapter series basically detailing her efforts in landing a suitable job. I like it quite a bit, though at times it does feel like it drags on for a while.

Totally forgot about this thread. Right now I'm reading The Face in the Window: Haunting Ohio Tales by Chris Woodyard. She previously wrote a great series of books collecting "true" ghost stories, the Haunted Ohio series. Face is the first book in a new series of ghost stories taken from 19th and early 20th-century newspapers and other documents. It's good so far, though I think I liked the style of the original series a little better.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

Well, having finished The Face in the Window and the next book in the series, The Headless Horror (not, as a few people misheard me say, "The Headless Whore"), I'm going to be starting on The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G. K. Chesterton. I've been meaning to read it for a while, after coming across a chance reference to it while looking for previous reading material, but I kept forgetting. It's described as a "metaphysical thriller," and could be an interesting read.
    MY PROJECTS

A few days ago I finished The Man Who Was Thursday. I liked the book very much; it was both more and less strange than I had expected it to be, and I was caught off guard by the allegory. Now I'm reading Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. My mother is finished with her classes for about a month, and I recommended that while she was on break she read The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien, which I had read and enjoyed in college. I'd suggested it to her a while back, and she had also recommended Jane Eyre to me, and we made a deal to read the book the other suggested. I'm about ten chapters into the book at the moment, and I'm reserving judgment. Mom sold it to me on its being a gothic novel in places, though I apparently haven't come to those parts yet except for one scene. I don't think I'll enjoy it nearly as well as I did Charlotte's sister Emily's novel Wuthering Heights, which I read after Lovecraft mentioned it in "Supernatural Horror in Literature."
    MY PROJECTS

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    A few days ago I finished The Man Who Was Thursday. I liked the book very much; it was both more and less strange than I had expected it to be, and I was caught off guard by the allegory. Now I'm reading Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. My mother is finished with her classes for about a month, and I recommended that while she was on break she read The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien, which I had read and enjoyed in college. I'd suggested it to her a while back, and she had also recommended Jane Eyre to me, and we made a deal to read the book the other suggested. I'm about ten chapters into the book at the moment, and I'm reserving judgment. Mom sold it to me on its being a gothic novel in places, though I apparently haven't come to those parts yet except for one scene. I don't think I'll enjoy it nearly as well as I did Charlotte's sister Emily's novel Wuthering Heights, which I read after Lovecraft mentioned it in "Supernatural Horror in Literature."
    Wait, 'Wuthering Heights' is a real novel? I thought it was just some Twilight bullshit, like Vampire venom and the west coast of Brazil.

Yes, Wuthering Heights is a classic 19th-century novel. It's mostly a story about dark passions in human lives, but also doubles as a ghost story. Why do you bring up Twilight?
    MY PROJECTS

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast