With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: What are you reading?

Follow Raiden On Twitter Visit Raiden's Youtube Channel Add Raiden on DeviantArt
    The 8th volume of Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion. I've already read every previous volume until now (that's 18 for Gin, 60 for Weed and 7 for Orion) and I'm loving this new series a lot... there's so many interesting characters and we actually get to see Izo as a main character for once. Not to mention John's Finnish nephew is going to show up~ <3

I'm just astonished that Yoshihiro Takahashi ACTUALLY made two Finnish characters to honor his Finnish fanbase. Not to mention they're both main characters - it includes John from the original series (who was important enough to be part of the main quartet alongside Gin, Akame and Ben) and John's nephew Andy (who's part of the new main quartet of himself, Orion, Bon and Yamabiko).

Seriously, some Finnish fans simply asked Takahashi at a convention "Can you make a character from our country?" and then he just promptly went and did it. How many foreign fandoms have managed to do that? Not many, I'd say.
    Last edited by Raiden; 06-19-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    "Everything is idiocy if you choose to look at it in the proper light." - Belgarath, The Belgariad book 1

lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

"Doing the deeds of evil men makes you evil. 'Duty' is not an excuse. Not to your god, or anyone else's." - unknown RPG Maker game

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Let's see... Since my last post I've read a number of things, though nothing particularly major or unusual except Wilkie Collins' novel/story collection After Dark. It wasn't quite what I was expecting (or rather hoping for), but it was enjoyable anyway, even if only one of the stories touched the horror genre. I finished reading the Father Brown stories, and have been working my way through two collections of Sherlock Holmes pastiches, August Derleth's The Memoirs of Solar Pons (which I've finished) and The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes, a collection of non-canon Holmes stories, written by Arthur Conan Doyle's son Adrian, a few of them in collaboration with famous Golden Age mystery writer John Dickson Carr, whose Dr. Fell novels I may want to read in future. All of the stories in the latter collection, except for one, are inspired by the offhand references in the original stories to other cases of Holmes, though in many cases the details provided contradict what little we know of those cases. Sometimes a reason for this is explained in the text, while other times no comment is given. I've also been slowly working my way through an anthology called 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories, which has been fine but rather uneven.

Nothing too shocking on the non-fiction front. Just more Lovecraft letters.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

One hundred years of solitude

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    What I am reading right now is James de Mille's semi-satirical fantasy novel Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder. Since my last post I've also finished reading the books that I was working on, and have read the first two John Dickson Carr mystery novels about Dr. Fell, as I had planned to do. I like them very well. The Fell novels aren't supernatural, but they tend to be creepy or appear to be supernatural before the mystery is solved (think along the lines of "The Speckled Band" or The Hound of the Baskervilles). I also read some of Agatha Christie's Poirot novels, which are decent. In terms of short fiction, I've read a bunch of new (to me, I mean) stories by Joseph Conrad and Walter de la Mare, both of whom have a style that appeals to me even in their realistic stories (and in fact I've only read one Conrad story that can really be called fantastical). And just for a little more mystery, I bought and read Lord Dunsany's collection of quirky stories in that genre (The Little Tales of Smethers and Other Stories).

Non-fiction-wise, I read Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, about the hurricane that destroyed Galveston in 1900. I've been interested in the storm since reading Robert E. Howard's second-hand description of it in his correspondence, and I enjoyed Larson's Devil in the White City, so I figured I'd like Isaac's Storm as well. I also reread The Boxer Rebellion by Diana Preston. I first read it years ago when I was getting interested in the Fu Manchu novels (which reference the Boxer Rising), and thought it might be interesting to read it again now with an adult perspective.
    Last edited by TMS; 01-09-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789