With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon Tactics CCG - New Look and New Platform

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook

Digimon Tactics CCG - New Look and New Platform

ABOUT

Digimon Tactics is a fan-made customizable card game (CCG) based on the Digimon franchise, allowing players to use characters and concepts from the anime, manga, video games, and more. The game is free to play, and full sets can be downloaded online, eliminating power creep and the tedious collection of cards through randomized booster packs. Cards are currently being manufactured, and an online version of the game is planned. This thread is your source for all Digimon Tactics news and discussion. If you have any questions, or you're willing to help with the project as a programmer, artist, or beta tester, let us know!

FEATURED ARTICLES

Digimon Tactics, Evolve!
    Digimon Tactics has a new look and a first platform in mind.

Ready for Programmers
    It's time to get the creation of an online platform for Digimon Tactics underway!

The Light of Evolution
    A preview of Adventure's Origins and the power of evolution.

Artists Wanted
    Digimon Tactics is looking for artists who can help illustrate some of its cards!

The Adventure's Origins
    Some announcements and an introduction to the game's first set.

Cold Front
    An experiment in deck-building using cards from the first two sets.

FEATURED RELEASES

Set 1: Adventure's Origins

The core set is primarily themed around Digimon Adventure, with characters and concepts from that series in addition to others. The set contains 232 cards, including 121 unique Digimon, enough to build a themed deck around any of the nine Digimon subtypes (Dragon, Beast, Bird, Insect, Plant, Aqua, Machine, Dark, and Holy). There are also 8 Tamer cards representing the original Chosen Children, 29 Items, 50 Programs, 21 Sites, and 3 EXE cards. Many cards in this and other sets will have multiple options in terms of art and flavor text, allowing players to customize their deck of 40 or more cards even further.

Set 2: Dueling Reflections

The second set is designed to complement the first, introducing cards with general all-purpose supporting effects. Besides including all the Adventure Digimon not included in the first set, Dueling Reflections features cards inspired by C'mon Digimon, Children's War Game, and Digimon World. It will be released simultaneously with Set 1.

PROJECT HISTORY

03/16/2017
    The thread was updated to announce that production of the finalized cards had begun.

10/22/2014
    Digimon Tactics is showcased at Stevens Institute of Technology's Visual Art & Technology Junior/Senior Exhibition.

11/13/2013
    An open beta of the game began. Mock-ups of cards were made available for download so that players could test the game, though the beta ended without much progress made.

11/12/2012
    Once the rules for the game had taken shape, the first set was announced and the current thread began.

11/16/2011
    The old thread was started, announcing the game and asking for input.
    Last edited by TMS; 03-15-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ain't got no mojo...
    If Patamon, Piyomon and Tentomon have got a Mega card, why don't Tailmon, Palmon and Gomamon?

My primary goal was to get at least one Ultimate-level Digimon of each type. More will be added in future sets. I didn't really think about the Ultimates for each Chosen Digimon. Originally I wasn't going to have Seraphimon, Hououmon, or HerakleKabuterimon in the first set, but it seemed unbalanced. I plan to release Rosemon and Plesiomon in the second set, and Holydramon will probably be in the third.

Is that okay with you, or would the lack of those three be a deal-breaker (metaphorically speaking; the cards are free)? I'm just glad to get input about the set's contents.
    MY PROJECTS
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]

Ain't got no mojo...
    I honestly don't mind, as long as they get cards later on. Since you have every Mega in Adventure, aside from Apokarimon, then Mega's for three more of the Chosen Children, I was curious why the remaining kids three Digimon didn't have Mega's, but if you weren't going for Mega's for the Children's Digimon, but one for each type, it makes sense.

Cool.

Now, everyone, there's a few things that I didn't bring up in the original post that need to be shared. First off, since the cards have not been made yet (at least in terms of their numerical statistics), I have not done any beta testing of the game. I was thinking about simply releasing the first set and rulebook as-is, maybe calling them back if they need tweaking in light of people playing the game and giving negative feedback. Is this okay with everyone, or should I do a closed beta first to make sure things won't need to be retooled? If I do go with a closed beta, is there anyone willing to be a tester?

Secondly, the only way to play the game as of now is to print off the cards and use them in person with someone else. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it's a lot of work (and possibly money) for the players. So I'd like to have an electronic, online version of the game as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer. Some time before the forum went down I had someone offer to make an electronic version of the game if he could. I sent him a PM once the forum was back, but he hasn't replied, and may not be returning anytime soon. So does anyone else have the skill and/or time to create something like this, or form a team for the purpose of doing so? How you would go about it is up to you. I'm aware of Lackey CCG, but would rather not use it because the interface is crap. Still, if that turns out to be our only option it's better than nothing.

A final note here: Some of you may be aware of Subspace, a forum only available to those who donate to With the Will. I talked to MarcFBR about it, and suggested that I might make certain cards available only on Subspace, as an additional reward to donors. For example, with this first set I might do a powered-up Agumon and Greymon based on the first movie.

One last minor thing here... I'm starting to stick closer to the official Bandai spellings for Digimon names. Centalmon, however, still looks weird, and I can't decide how to pronounce it. Is the fandom okay with just keeping it Centalmon, or would a variant like Kentarumon (which is another official name, and the Japanese pronunciation) or Centaurmon (y'know, because he's a centaur) be better?
    MY PROJECTS

Ain't got no mojo...
    In regards to the online version of the game, I'll start it off by making it a bare-bones virtual tabletop. In that, you just have your deck and you manually move the cards around. Like dragging them from the deck into the hand area(which will keep them hidden to your opponent but visible to you) and then dragging them from your hand area to your side of the playing area. Nothing fancy, pretty much. But, as this project goes on I'll probably add more features to it.

In order to make it, I'll need a few things. First off, I'll need a complete ruleset so I'll know what to include and such(like if counters can/are used, if there's tapping or something, things like that). Once I've got that, I can put it in the game so people can just look it up whenever they want. I might even include a feature where the rules can be brought up mid-game in case there are weird situations(and they will happen, take it from someone who knows).

Second, I'll need the image files of the cards and the backing. Now, I know that you wanted me to complete the cards, but what exactly do you want me to complete? If it's just the wording on them, then be sure to flatten the .psd files first. The reason why this is a concern is because I don't have Photoshop. Therefore, if you have the .psd files in several layers with certain layer effects, Gimp will most likely not be able to read them. Sorry for the inconvience, but if I just have to do the wording on them, this shouldn't be a problem.

That aside, I look forward to making the online version and playin' some games!

Follow Tomozaurus on DeviantArt
    Just wanted to say I'm loving the look of this and will be keeping a close eye.
    If you ever need an artist for the cards, I'll be happy to volunteer.

@Tomozaurus:

Thanks! I'm glad to hear from you. I was starting to fear from the lack of comments that interest had died. Thanks also for offering your services as an artist. Most of the art I use will come from official art,with the templates for the cards themselves having already been created by Garith, who I hope will reappear eventually to see the fruits of his labor. However, there are some characters and concepts which it is hard to find good-quality art for (characters from some of the video games, for example), and I may resort to fan-art, made specifically for the game, so that they can get cards.

@Crapcarp:

Thank you. I'm glad you're still willing to do it after the break. Nothing fancy is really needed to begin with (or really ever, as long as the game is playable). I can get you the rules soon, after giving them another look over. The rule book is as complete as I can make it, though I'm sure that there will be things that come up in gameplay that aren't currently covered. The plan is to use player feedback to keep the rules complete. If everything is electronic, people can download revised rules (or even revised cards) once problems have been identified.

The cards themselves I may handle personally, making them downloadable as a zipped file of JPGs. Each numbered card can have multiple designs, with different art and flavor text. Two or three versions of the same card might exist, with players being able to make more specific requests if they don't like what's already offered. If it is possible to somehow make them available for download from the interface directly into their electronic collection, that would be cool. Can you make a way for players to manage their collection and build their decks with the program, in addition to just playing the game?

@Everyone:

My questions about beta testing and Centalmon's name still stand. And just for fun, what kind of deck are you looking forward to building, keeping in mind that I eventually hope to release cards based on every major facet of the franchise?
    MY PROJECTS

Follow Tomozaurus on DeviantArt
    Not a problem. I figured you would be, but the offer stands if you ever run into issues of copyright, or there isn't satisfactory official art for a Digimon.
    Will still be following anyway. I may be interested in beta testing too, especially if you get the online version up and running.

That's good to know. I'll certainly keep you in mind.

As far as copyright, I don't expect to have any legal trouble. Due to legal concerns, the cards will be totally free (though I wouldn't turn down any donations lol).
    MY PROJECTS

Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast