With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Stuff in Digimon Official Big Picture Book Volume 1-6

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook

Interesting Stuff in Digimon Official Big Picture Book Volume 1-6

Intro
    Wow this took a long time to put together. Well, as the topic says, I've bought the first six volumes of the Digimon Official Big Picture Book series, covering Adventure, 02, and Tamers. I intended to start up a topic for anything interesting that I found in them, like I did for the Animation Chronicle, though most of the interesting stuff is probably in all the text I canít read. But hereís what Iíve got.

What's In Them
    Content-wise, the books are mostly taken up by information about various Digimon that appeared in the anime, with large Toei art provided, comments on the different parts of their bodies, etc. Those body parts are often named, though the names are terribly unoriginal, almost always consisting of part of the Digimon's name and what it is (Monochro Needle, Mera Body, Andro Hand). I can get a list of the ones I can translate, but there's really nothing too interesting in just the names (maybe in the descriptions, but, again, I can't read them). The books also provide a footprint for each Digimon. I'm not sure why; usually you can just look at the Digimon and tell, though it does reveal the Crest of Hope on Angemon's soles and various bat designs on the soles of Digimon like Devimon, Vamdemon, and LadyDevimon.

Most of the artwork is stuff that we've seen, except for some Tamers line art that didn't make its way into the Animation Chronicle. Near the back are big pictures with stories that go along with them. Translations and scans of all but one volume of those can be found at Onkei's website (see Links). There are also animanga versions of all six movies, with onomatopoeia and text bubbles imposed over screenshots from the movies. Which is nice, I guess, though I've already seen the movies. We don't have very good translations of movies 3 and 6 yet, though, so the book would be a help to anyone trying to fix that problem.

In the very back of every book there are a number of games and conversations between various characters. I'll describe them as best I can later in this post, but since I can't translate I can only get the gist of them.

New Romanizations
    Romanized names are provided in the books for all the Digimon and many of the human protagonists. Most of these match ones that we've already seen, though some are new. Below is a list of new spellings that differ from other official spellings we already knew about. Most are simple misspellings, but others are more interesting. The new spelling comes first, followed by the other official romanization in parentheses.

Brossamon (Blossomon)
    Chikomon (Chicomon)
    Chumon (Tyumon)
    Deramon (Delumon)
    Diaboromon (Diablomon)
    Fradramon (Fladramon)
    Galugomon* (Gargomon)
    Garbemon (Gerbemon)
    Gumimon* (Gummymon)
    Houohmon (Hououmon)
    Indramon (Indaramon)
    Inferumo (Infermon)
    Kapurimon (Caprimon)
    Kurisarimon (Chrysalimon)
    MarineAngemon (MarinAngemon)
    Mekanorimon (Mechanorimon)
    Minotarumon (Minotaurmon)
    Nyalomon (Nyaromon)
    Oukuwamon (Okuwamon)
    Pinocchimon (Pinochimon)
    RedVegiemon (RedVagimon)
    Submarimon** (Sabmarimon)
    Terriamon* (Terriermon)

* These Digimon appear in one of the 02 volumes and both of the Tamers volumes, and different volumes spell their names in different ways, using either these new spellings or the Dictionary spellings.
    ** "Sabmarimon" is the spelling given on the Digimon Analyzer screen and his Jintrix card. However, seeing this led me to discover that his evolution sequence in the anime also spells it as "Submarimon."

Some Digimon's names have the first romanizations we've seen, including:

FlareLizamon
    Fugamon
    KoDokugumon
    Pajiramon
    Preciomon [Plesiomon]

The names of the eight Chosen Children are spelled as they were on their CD cases (Koshiro, Jo, etc.). The Tamers' names are officially romanized for the first time, with the Lee siblings being rendered as Jen/Jian and Shaochung.

Maps
    Maps are provided for every arc and movie, showing where different encounters took place. The File Island map confirms that Kuwagamon was encountered in Tropical Jungle, and not in Beet-Land as some have suggested. Oddly, it also shows the Village of Beginnings as being located north of Infinity Mountain (nearest Toy Town, in the Misty Trees region), rather than south of the mountain, like it was in Digimon World. On the map of Server Continent, every location pointed out is where something happened in the anime, except for one odd exception. There's a jungle pointed out in the northern half of the continent, with the desert to the south, Temp Lake to the southwest, the mountain range to the west, Vamdemon's territory to the northwest, and Gennai's home to the north. However, as far as I can tell the Chosen Children never visited it. There's a brief blurb about it, but I have no idea what it says.

The Stuff in the Back
    In this section I'll describe as best I can what the very back of the books. If anyone would be willing to translate one or more of these sections, please let me know and I can send you pictures.

Volume 1:
    The stuff at the back of Volume 1 is in full color, which isn't the case with the other five volumes. It contains
    1) A series of battles that didn't happen in the anime, including SkullGreymon vs. MetalGreymon, Devimon vs. Vamdemon, and one with Etemon and a Gazimon fleeing from the attacks of Scumon, Tyumon, Vademon, and several Numemon.
    2) An explanation of DigiLetters.
    3) A quiz.
    4) A game of some kind. I think it's a series of questions to determine what type of personality you have (MetalGreymon Type, Tentomon Type, Lilimon Type, PicoDevimon Type, Leomon Type, or Devimon Type).
    5) No idea. Something about episodes.
    6) Song lyrics.
    7) A series of athletic challenges for the Digimon.
    A) A game involving getting colored balls into a basket atop a pole.
    Vaccine Team: Wizarmon, Tailmon, Kabuterimon, Ikkakumon
    Virus Team: Scumon, Numemon x2, Devimon, Gesomon
    Virus Team wins.
    B) A track race / obstacle course
    Vaccine Team: Leomon, Digitamamon, Birdramon, Greymon
    Virus Team: Ogremon, Seadramon, Nanomon, Veggiemon
    The score ends up tied.
    C) Tug of War, with a pair of Pagumon looking on and Taichi as the referee.
    Vaccine Team: Ikkakumon, Angemon, Greymon, Meramon
    Vaccine Team Cheerleaders: Angewomon, Lilimon
    Virus Team: DeathMeramon, Vamdemon, Gizamon, Bakemon, Ogremon
    Virus Team Cheerleaders: Etemon, Gazimon x2

Volume 2:
    1) A fortune-telling section hosted by Pumpmon and Gottsumon, apparently giving advice and statistics to various Digimon.
    2) Something about writing composition. Looks like three letters to Mimi, written by Ogremon, Gekomon and Otamamon, and Scumon and Tyumon.
    3) Digimon Grand Prix. Iím not sure whatís going on. Itís mostly a lot of text and screenshots with speech bubbles. There are three contest with three contestants each, though I donít know what they entail. Contest 1 is Piemon, Raremon, and Kabuterimon; Contest 2 is MetalEtemon, TonosamaGekomon, and Kabuterimon; Contest 3 is Kuwagamon, Guardromon, and Kabuterimon. I think Kabuterimon wins all three of them.
    4) Digimon cooking with Jou and Veggiemon. Recipes are given for Scumon Rice, 3.7 SkullGreymon Milk, and Plotmon Cake. Maybe not being able to read these is a blessing in disguise.
    5) A few pictures and lots of text. The premise is Vaccine vs. Virus in the form of Angewomon vs. LadyDevimon. Thatís about all I can make out.

Volume 3:
    1) 02 Item File, with descriptions of and character comments on the D-3, D-Terminal, Evil Ring, Evil Spiral, and Dark Tower.
    2) Hikari hosts a quiz.
    3) Weíre given a pie graph showing what Digimon do on their days off, then Daisuke interviews Digimon who gave each answer. The percentages are below with the Digimon interviewed in parentheses.
    47% Battle (SkullGreymon)
    34% Sleep (TonosamaGekomon)
    11% Dating (Scumon)
    4% Sales (Digitamamon)
    1% Being Brainwashed? (Airdramon)
    1% Ken-chan (Wormmon)
    4) A section hosted by Revolmon. I donít know whatís going on. Maybe he has contests with various Digimon?
    5) I think this is a section on making your own Chimairamon-type Digimon. It continues on the next couple of pages, telling us the ideas of the various Chosen Children and Kenís comments on their choices.
    7) Song lyrics

Volume 4:
    1) Mummymon apparently seeks advice from Yamato and Ken on how to win Archnemonís love.
    2) I think this is Agumon giving BlackWarGreymon advice on how to spend his time?
    3) Daisuke presents us with aÖ dictionary of Digimon terms? Something like that.
    4) A series of three Digimon research experiments. The first compares human and Digimon intelligence. Hikari and Hangyomon are the participants, but it seems the latter is a Deep One just there to hit on her. The second examines Digimon lifestyles, using BlackWarGreymon as the subject. The third is something about body types, focused on Shakkoumon. Maybe the fact that he looks more like Angemon than Ankylomon.
    5) This seems to be finding the right Digimon partner based on personality compatibility. There are four categories from right to left: appearance, sense of responsibility, ambition, and courage. Then there are four different Tamer types: A, B, C, and D.
    A Ė Angewomon / Hawkmon / Aquilamon / Stingmon
    B Ė Revolmon / V-mon / Ankylomon / Qinglongmon
    C Ė Mummymon / LadyDevimon / Archnemon / Gokimon
    D Ė SkullSatamon / MarineDevimon / Minotaurmon / Chimairamon
    It then describes the Tamer personality types: A, like Hikari (suggested partner Floramon), B, like Daisuke (suggested partner FlareLizamon), C, like Ken (suggested partner Thunderballmon), D, like Oikawa (suggested partner BelialVamdemon). At least, I think this is whatís said in the section. Thereís a lot of text.

Volume 5:
    1) A little game of adding sound effects and dialogue to a certain scene, with several Tamers making their suggestions for the scene where Impmon hits Jenís father with Night of Fire.
    2) A series of arguments between Juri and her hand puppet, along with profiles of the two and comments from other characters.
    3) Culumon puts on a ďplayĒ of sorts by (I think) adding his narration to various scenes from the anime.
    4) Apparently a how-to for performing the Card Slashes used by the various Tamers, though thereís also something for Yamaki.
    5) Tamers Simulation. Basically a choose-your-own-adventure story.
    6) Song lyrics.

Volume 6:
    1) Takato seems get the Four Holy Beasts to help him study for school.
    2) Dukemon, SaintGalgomon, and Sakuyamon show up, but two of them are fakes. Beelzebumon Blast Mode talks with and battles each of them to determine which is real. I think Dukemon is the one who isnít an imposter. Iím not sure where the clones came from, but given Yamakiís sinister laughter he may have had something to do with it.
    3) Ryo tries to impart his wisdom on being a Tamer to Hirokazu and Kenta.
    4) Juriís records of various characters as customers at the ďKatou Restaurant (Digital World Branch)Ē
    5) I believe here Shaochung is trying to figure out which Digimon would be best as her partner. Lopmon is her final choice, but the compatibility ratings for the other candidates are:
    Guilmon Ė 40%
    Terriermon Ė 50%
    Renamon Ė 20%
    Leomon Ė 30%
    Yamaki Ė 95%
    6) Song lyrics.

Links
    Here are some links to places online where parts of the books have already been translated.

Digimon Stats (All Volumes Ė These are charts of information on the Digimon, and are lacking translations of the various other text.)
    http://syldra.net/kenkeru/junk/ajora3.htm

Routes in America (Volume 3)
    http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=3411

Digimon Adventure 02: Private Siesta (Volume 4)
    http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=2748

Digimon Tamers: Heartwarming Picture Book (Volume 5)
    http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=2700

Digimon Tamers: Tamers in Holiday (Volume 6)
    http://digitalscratch.pmsinfirm.org/?p=2699
    Last edited by TMS; 05-14-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I come from the net Da_Duke2000's Avatar

Re: Interesting Stuff in Digimon Official Big Picture Book Volume 1-6

Is the official policy on these books no scanning? I would be very much interested in seeing the foot prints. Otherwise, where were these purchased?
    ChinookCrafts @ Etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chinookcrafts

Digimon Tags, Legend of Zelda Rupees, Pokemon Evolution Stones, and more...

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt

[quote author=Da_Duke2000 link=topic=17132.msg230594#msg230594 date=1340909059]
    Is the official policy on these books no scanning?
    [/quote]

For that i'd say check with godofchaos.

I own the book as above, got em on this very forum.

Posting scans to the forum is usually decided on a scan-by-scan basis. I'm perfectly willing to scan (or at least take pictures of) anything that an admin will give me permission to and that people want to see. That being said, getting a pic of every footprint seems like a monumental job.

As for where I got the books, they are currently out of print. I had to buy them from private sellers on Amazon Japan. Because that site doesn't do international shipping, I had to use Tenso as a go-between. I wanted to buy the seventh (and, I think, final) book in the series, but didn't have enough money. It's next on my list.
    Last edited by TMS; 05-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories

I come from the net Da_Duke2000's Avatar

[quote author=TMS link=topic=17132.msg230596#msg230596 date=1340909719]
    That being said, getting a pic of every footprint seems like a monumental job.[/quote]

I'll give you free Tags and Creeeeeests
    ChinookCrafts @ Etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chinookcrafts

Digimon Tags, Legend of Zelda Rupees, Pokemon Evolution Stones, and more...

I just now noticed that Veggiemon's name is romanized as "Vagimon" in the books. So, to recap...

Picture Books Say: Vagimon, RedVegiemon
    Dictionary Says: Vegimon, RedVagimon

Bandai has a really hard time deciding how they want to spell "veggie."
    Last edited by TMS; 05-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    MY PROJECTS

I come from the net

That is odd but it looks as bad as someone trying to spell one of Char Aznable's names. You know, Quattro Bajeena. Romanization may be harder then learning Japanese.

Well, someone knew what "veggie" meant. It would have been child's play to look up how to spell it. Like Kentarumon/Centarumon/Centalmon. Just knowing the katakana [kentaru] you could have gone to the Japanese Wikipedia and clicked the link to the English page to see how to romanize it. If Bandai and the other companies involved aren't indecisive, they're either really lazy or don't care.
    Last edited by TMS; 05-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    MY PROJECTS

Completely digital DigiTamer Rikun's Avatar
    Follow DigiTamer Rikun on DeviantArt

[quote author=TMS link=topic=17132.msg231280#msg231280 date=1342657933]
    Well, someone knew what "veggie" meant. It would have been child's play to look up how to spell it. Like Kentarumon/Centarumon/Centalmon. Just knowing the katakana [kentaru] you could have gone to the Japanese Wikipedia and clicked the link to the English page to see how to romanize it. If Bandai and the other companies involved aren't indecisive, they're either really lazy or don't care.
    [/quote]That's exactly the impression I get given how weird certain romanizations are, and how often they seem to change the dub names. :0
    (Though to be fair that probably has something to do with the people on our end, but in either case it's clear there's not as much care as even some fans have...)
    FIXED -> Get a picture recolored! Re-opened for business!

For this type of thing, which is basically an out of print encyclopedia type thing, I'd say go ahead.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast