With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: crazy, bored, and pressing colorful buttons.(update)

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt

Re: crazy, bored, and pressing colorful buttons.(update)

This sort of "I have a reason for everything" is probably something that will discourage people from critiquing your work. Just saying.

Junior Commander

i dont have a reason for everything, im just weird.

i mean, i guess, in a sense i have to overthink everything. so i always try and answer my own questions. then i of course, also think of millions of possible questions that could be asked, and i try to fill an answer for each and every question i think of, therefore eliminating the need for people to ask me things that, as they figure from reading, will explain themselves as i go. This self-eliminating of every question I can think of causes me to be paranoid of my writing and I fall into my 'sagety net' of this has always worked, so Ill shove this in because no one will question it.

or, i could equally say that every reason i give is a random interpretation, in my mind, of the details to the question, and what it has nothing to do with the story.

or, on an even equaller third side, i could still say I have just bern developing this massive story for years, that no one has listened to, and i just need some minor details so i can fill out the big picture.

overall: Im just a crazy as hell equalateral Triangle.

Have a general idea of where the story goes, and plot out some elements, but I wouldn't recommend actually planning every detail. The way I write, I actually start from the middle and expand outwards, usually reaching the ending before the start. Needless to say, it's a stupid way, but that's just how I write.

I'm surprised Ice was the one against writing out everything, seeing as how she loves planning her RPs. :)

[quote author=BloodyM link=topic=16119.msg227363#msg227363 date=1331429108]ultimately, I want everyone to be kind of confused as the stories form a whole plot, and in general, a universe...so to speak, but never do they appear as such a whole story, if you don't know every piece, and what the puzzle looks like.

this also represents my actual story process, parts were always 'present' but i always changed which time is present. up to a resolved story, filled with less and less sense.
    [/quote]No.

[quote author=Queen of Ice link=topic=16119.msg227366#msg227366 date=1331430020]
    This sort of "I have a reason for everything" is probably something that will discourage people from critiquing your work. Just saying.
    [/quote]Didn't stop people from watching Lost, though. :/

Junior Commander

when i say thats how my process works, i mean thats how Bloody's story folded out:
    there were three stories
    the tale of Mech the Bandit.
    A tale of the first Lords/ladys
    and The tale of Bloody M

parts in there got split up, mixxed around, and meshed, soon i had a story of the Old King Hiroken, and the first Dragons on earth, mini stories of Bloody M, and his many associates(most of which he hasn't met yet), and several other tales, then i had connected Mech the Bandit to the second story.
    at that time Bloody M's world was still a rip off of the last airbender, and Mech's story was a rip off of .hack//sign
    then the avatar series ended. I ran out on my foundation. So I built a new one, Bloody M of Fire became Mech the Bandit, and the two stories entertwined. By that time the following year Bloody M's third Reincarnation had died in a battle with a greater being. He, however returned his soul to earth, and into the body of a human, where the story briefly continued.

i basically had started somewhere in the middle, weaved my way backwards and then forged ahead with whatever i had left tk fill.

Dude, my point is, almost everything I've said to you was either ignored or blown off. Based on my experience here alone there is no way I would ever spend a chunk of my time writing critique for one of your stories knowing that you'd have a way to counter everything I'd say and then add a ton of random extra stuff after. Almost everything you've been talking about has nothing at all to do with what I was talking about. It's honestly kind of frustrating the thread has expanded this way, and I kind of wish I hadn't said as much as I did, because most of the stuff I'd said about myself and gave as advice was kind of ignored and explained away.

Ice has good points. Split the early years and the later years, so that you get a sense of time shift that's as apparent in the real world as it is in the story. When you have a new story rather than, say, an arc or part, people automatically take that as expecting something new, something different, yet with a tinge of familiarity. I mean, take Xros Wars for example: you have Taiki's initial introduction to Digimon, then his temporary return to the human world, marking the end of part one of the series. The Death Generals arc then became the second part of Xros Wars, and now Young Hunters I consider a sequel, essentially, along the lines of how Adventure 02 was a sequel to the original. The one-year gap in the story practically seals the deal on this one. That you've already finished the four trials doesn't mean you can't split them from the rest of the book, provided you do provide a backstory before the trials, and you'll be able to write some semi-conclusion at their end.

"I have a reason for everything" without actually allowing readers to make sense of it themselves is annoying as shit. Why do you think people guess what happens on television dramas, mystery novels, or what will occur in the next book of a series? Because it's part of the fun! But they have to have enough information to do so. On a similar note, don't employ deux ex machina unless you have to, or the situation actually fits (unlikely if you're a good writer, unless it's a comedic story).

About the mention of writing in the middle and going from there, I totally advise against it. I only brought it up as a comparison, and I don't advise you to do the same. (Besides, what I meant by that was I would already know what kinds of scenes I wanted over the course of the story, and build it up to match that situation. It might sound kinda like a good plan, but it isn't really, because I tend to rush my writing and make what happens beforehand unbearable to read.)

Junior Commander

ice, and py: id like to apologize if it doesnt seem your advice is sinking in. the thing is: im complicated.

i have no real good experience being blunt, and tend to get carried off in explanation. your advice is helping. i may alter bits here and there to give it that sense. but for now im continuing how im writing.

also: dont take it personal, im kind of an expert at making people argue with me when i wanna talk.

it also helps if you think like me. otherwise there is no sense to most, if not all my comments.

anyway. i looked back through my notes, and dont worry. theres actually 2 good 20-year gaps that i never planned to fill due to the extreme boringness of them. i can, on that note, use them as break off points.

Being an "expert" at making people "argue" when they talk is nothing to be proud of.

The issue isn't that you're not "taking" our advice. It's the fact that you aren't responding to it. It wouldn't hurt to go through and weigh the ups and downs of the suggestions given to you. Your last post kind of touched on that, but eh...

What's important is that you engage us as we engage you, because in responding to someone's post with a random tangent that has nothing to do with what was written to you, it reads as borderline spam, even if it is your 'what's happening' thread.

Junior Commander
    so, its been a long time, and im pretty much back, although mostly just to be hanging around and posting stuff everynow and then, dont expect any writings from me. or rpgs, and very little artwork.
    I'm more so on something else, coding and iconning a 'game' ive been working on since 09

but, other then that, i just thought id let everyone know im back :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123