With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: crazy, bored, and pressing colorful buttons.(update)

Re: crazy, bored, and pressing colorful buttons.(update)

[quote author=Queen of Ice link=topic=16119.msg227187#msg227187 date=1331293906]
    You seem awfully self conscious about your writing; why are you so anxious about it?
    [/quote]I think self-consciousness in your own writing isn't necessarily bad. And the way BloodyM's been concerned with it seems to me like he's an inexperienced writer (either that, or terribly vain).

@ BloodyM: Don't worry about your views and responses so much. Many times people are too lazy to bother posting reviews, or they just skim over content quickly and move on to something else. I hate to be blunt, and I don't want to lower your self-esteem, but if your stories are good enough you'll naturally get reviews; if not, people won't bother. Your lack of effort or dedication shows through a lot in writing, so if you get uninterested, so will readers--and the cycle continues such.

Just cause you don't have criticism doesn't mean you shouldn't have ideas. Just go with what you want to write and do it. If you're writing only to look good or be popular online (lolwut), then you shouldn't have even started. If you really want to get better, request a beta reader and publish the story on a site with more traffic, like ff.net.

Junior Commander

ah. yknow. i could be vain. but im also new-ish to writing my stories. for example. Ive told out the chronicles a couple hundred times, and scrapped up a one day random campaign based off two parts of the story.

i guess...the problem is. i have my story mapped out, because its a giant backstory to a universe and a character i developed. Digimon eternities was...to be honest: me being bored and having nothing to do, and no one to do it with. it was, more or less, the general spawning of several thousand rps i did with a friend, that allowed me to grow the characters fully in concept. unfortuneatly, it also dropped out of digimon and into weird fantasy pretty quickly...

but maybe im just bad at filling in my giant story gaps. however, i feel there needs to be some depth to my backstory before i go ahead and say 'and then bloody was 21, sailing to find the ancient stone that would be his proof of kingship'. because that, in my mind leaves a giant question: what in the world happened in those ten years?

however, i somewhat dont agree, i cant think that around 6000 views, people still 'skimmed' digimon eternities. but i still felt bad when i paused every now and then to allow questions, comments, suggestions, and criticisms and id get back on to type the next part, and nothing. but a bunch more views.
    and before anyone says I might be crazy: your right. I am absolutely crazy. it happens, i mean, i can guarentee no one really cares if i skip those ten years, or if i stop that chronicle when bloody has finished only part of his quest, and start on a new one, to elaborate more on the very confusing story im weaving. infact, i probably could, at the end, or some point within, make a random rp about the chronicles, dating a specific area of it, and people wouldnt know what i was talking about, because everyone skimmed through the story, and didnt really pay attention, or care.

I have no ideas left to fill in holes in my story. I am idealess, I, infact only am typing the part i am now, where im typing it, because, to be frank, i dont need more sites to keep track of.
    plus, i like wtw. If it werent for the fact that i apperently kill rps, id be in more of them. I like writing, and drawing, and it mostly dissapoints me that i cant do much, because im on a wii. If i had a computer, i'd be in Chronicle 2 Part 5, or better, Chronicle 4 by now, and my thumb wouldnt be as sore, granted id also be making sprites and coding a byond game, so i probably wouldnt be on wtw, or dragcave, or myth-weavers, or any of my usual sites....minus three... because id be playing mmos, and other stuff. Its sad, but this is what ive got, and although i want to share my stories with the people here, i just find it...annoying that either no one cares, or my story isnt interesting enough for them to comment about it

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt

I want to be a novelist. I'm always writing stories if I'm not RPing. I have three projects in progress. One is about a merpeople colony and incomplete around 50,000 words. The next is about a young vampire whose head is wanted by religious zealots, and is incomplete at 60,000 words. The last, about a young gay boy who attempts suicide (The character was born on this site!), and is incomplete at 90,000 words. Because I want to be published, I generally only post them on my own forum so that they are hidden to guests. I too ask for feedback and vicious critique, but only one person really takes the time to give critique. One other person posts comments ssometimes. And that's about it, even though I know Ove asked a lot of people to help me out.

That's the big issue, really. Not everyone has faith in their own ability to critique, not everyone even wants to do it. As a writer I know how frustrating it is, but you need to write for yourself, not for the feedback of others, or else you'll stay trapped in the cycle of 'meh no one likes this' forever, even though it's not necessarily true.

There's nothing wrong with having a story mapped out, but I'll be honest and advise against it too much. Is a pitfall. I planned out Morning Star, and what happened, it went from being complete at 50k to still being a WIP at 90k. The story I'd planned out ended up not being the story my character wanted to tell.

As for filler--don't do it. It's called filler for a reason! If people don't like it in anime (young hunters haters) why would they like it in writing?

Junior Commander

im a complicated person. and, to the least, my 'filler' isnt some episode filled with flashbacks, or them covering the hidden lives of unimportant characters. this is an actually relevant part of my story that theres a big gap in. and i dont feel like jumping the ten years just so i can get to the part i have.
    my story is 'more-or-less' mapped out, parts here and there, its a loooong story, about a complicated universe.

I, personally dont have a lot of stories, most were running spinoffs with friends, but all of them had one character in common. Bloody. Hes been a Ninja leader with powers of manipulation and blood, hes been a Dragoon of the Midnight Moon, hes been a Duelist, who to be honest, sucked. Hes been a Spartan, trying to fight the covenant and the flood. Hes been a Master of the Keyblade, and a Masterful Black Knight of two swords. Hes even been a Champion of a Pokemon league.
    He, is more or less my only work. Hes been many things, some of which i dont remember, but hes been one more thing...hes been the one guy who could make me try and achieve what i want. He has, to a blunt point, been to hell and back with me.

I can't forget him, and, when i think about it, to everyone else, hes just a name, in a story that doesn't matter.
    I'm not trying to write on feedback, but i want the feedback, so maybe i can improve how i write, how i tell the story, and maybe explain some things as i go. I, however, write what has been told. To no one but a empty room. The tales of a man, and the person who made him, and who he made.

id love to get published. but i think theres more thoughts of not doing that. because, then, if i dont get something before hand, i release this book that barely anyone reads, that people pass up on their skim through a library. Something people give a chance to and find out its horrible, and leave the book to burn.

and, just so you know, i am, infact a crazy, weird person, and i am very self critical, i observe things too much, I overthink things, and Im a perfectionist with OCD, ADD, & a hint of dislexia every now and then.

If it's relevant to the story, by definition, it's not filler.

And you were the one who said you didn't see much point in writing more chapters because you weren't getting feedback.

Junior Commander

thats the difference between digimon eternities and the chronicles. in digimon, i was writing it, mostly because this is majoritly a digimon forum. i had good portions mapped out in the future, but most of it was a blur, and when i personally read through the last few chapters i wrote where the characters were solo...i didnt like them, and i couldnt picture 111 or so episodes of digimon-related babbling exactly like it. which is why i dropped the story. but, on that note, i also at least layed it down with a final episode, and didnt leave it at an annoying cliffhanger.

on a further note, i cant guesstimate how much of this story is...ready for written words, as its mainly the big picture, with not a lot of small details put in. theres story, and plenty of it, but someone, like me for example, will notice the small gaps in timr that i forgot about.

on another note, this brings further confusion as of far we have two parts of a story, that, as of yet, have no connecting peices to them except a character or two.

anyway. Im going to finish CH2P2, and move into CH2P3. i decided to break 'the path' into two parts, seeing what i had, i also, on a somewhat insanity based drive, want to break into the second page before Bloody....opps, almost leaked a spoiler :P

Probably best to split them into two stories rather than two parts. The first can be a novella. The second can be the novel.

Junior Commander

hmm. two stories? like....seperating the first 4 trials from the rest completely?

also, i think i just had a moment where rule 63 and rule 34 apply.

The early years as the novella. The later years, after the drastic time skip, as the novel.

Junior Commander

oh....well, i could that...but, i have already gotten the trials down...and lets see...a year of training at each, from 11....he should be 20 by the time he finishes his training, and leaves for the island, which will bring him to the about right age for the rest of the story.
    which is where some partial break in the chronicle will end. due to the fact that, as many people might not know, theres a lot of bits of story i want to go back through. some of it will be much shorter 'collection' of stories, due to what part of my timeline they take part in. ultimately, I want everyone to be kind of confused as the stories form a whole plot, and in general, a universe...so to speak, but never do they appear as such a whole story, if you don't know every piece, and what the puzzle looks like.

this also represents my actual story process, parts were always 'present' but i always changed which time is present. up to a resolved story, filled with less and less sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast