10th Anniversary of the modern With the Will

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was exactly 10 years ago that the modern incarnation of WtW began (just days after the prior version imploded.)

The site lasted a few days with some of the prior admin staff before folding over nearly an entirely new team running the site.

Even when I took it over, I wasn't actually going to run the place. It was in theory supposed to be me and Seifer, but honest, I don't recall why it didn't (I could continue long standing jokes about Seifer screwing up, but I honestly don't recall what happened.)

I honestly think I ended up running the place for no reason other than I was the one willing and able to do it (and hosting it certainly helped.)

We weren't even using the name With the Will for the first few months of the new forum.

A small blast from the past that newer members won't recall, but might enjoy seeing...

Originally whenever we added a new major thing to the site (often with it's own subdomain, etc.) we would just slap a new small sidebar next to the old WtW logo image (with each being a clickable link.) That's not the most complete one, just one I had on hand.

A few staff members were trying to develop Digimon games, etc. A lot of these didn't last to long as they just weren't tenable, but I still like the concept of the sidebars, even if the current nice art banner with text links on top is cleaner overall. I believe Digistar put together every sidebar, going off stick figure drawings I would make.

That's probably one of my favorite versions of the old WtW logo image (we customized that poor Minomon being terrified many times (a tradition that continues today, even if it's not 100% as obvious where he is.) We wanted to keep it when we introduced a new minimal theme, so we removed the background elements, and actually had it sitting on the header in such a way that it overlayed over multiple images using it's alpha layer. That version probably showed up around 2007 or so... I don't quite recall.

The original version of the 'big' WtW banner art. This was used on our old portal for a number of years, and some old forum themes.

To many staff members to thank (especially since I don't recall all of them from before I was around) so thanks to everyone.

Certainly past admins helped the site survive over the years simply by running it, so thanks to Jita for starting the site. Omnitor wherever he is (wait... was he an admin?) Koroku, Suzaku, and Seifer for the time they spent helping to run the place at different times when it needed different people to help. Thanks to Vande for sticking around, even when she 'really' did not like me or wanted me on staff in the first place (she changed her mind later.) Thanks to lost for saying 'sure' when I asked him if he wanted to help put back together a forum that had just imploded, and sticking around making sure everything works for a full decade.

I'm sure I've forgotten (or misspelled a name or two), but they helped run the site, even if one or two left under not the best circumstances, the forum probably wouldn't be here today if they didn't all jump in and help when they did.

I'll leave any notable or interesting WtW details or stories to anyone who wants to share and discuss them in the thread.

Minus maybe one... I still think it's kind of amazing that for the Savers dub, we gave input into the casting of the series.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sure I could have added far far far more.

But I'm very tired after a long and stressful day, and as everyone knows, I can type a lot.

So I figured I'd let people say what they wanted to say after doing a reasonably short (for me) major news post.

Clawwer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would've been 7 years old when the modern With the Will started, damn. Was still a huge digimon fan at least, just not properly literate ;)

Anyway, congrats on the ten years all you old digimon-ers!! Thanks for making a forum that's keeping the youngins' entertained nowadays too!

Gonna ask a question aimed at the older With The Will members who remember those ten years, do you have a favorite event that transpired sometime in during 10 years? Please enlighten me, I want a history lesson!

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
10 years of dictatorship lol.

Joking aside, I honestly can't remember half of the stuff that has happened since Marc took over. It just happened.

I'm glad you did manage to get stuff set up with Lost, despite all the crap that was going off at the time. (See the Chronicles of WtW threads somewhere...)

Really where have those 10 years gone?

Cheers Marc and here is to another 10!

Lord Archfiend Kliff

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember being a kid and going onto this forum, I didn't register because I knew minimal English but it was fun dwelling into DMA and File Island, and seeing some random posts on this forum.

Here's to the future!

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's not forget about the mobile site banner:

Zekkaina Solo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Congrats, With the Will! Thanks to all the mods and staff that keep this place running, especially in those years when there was pretty much nothing new (at least in the US). WtW is my go-to place for Digimon news ever since I found it after re-watching seasons 1-4, though I "lurked" here for several years before actually joining. =)

NekoHaruko

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't believe it's been 10 years. WtW sure has changed. From a shitty place with shitty people to a place with people you can have a good conversation with. Early wtw was some of the worst times of my life. I even wrote a story murdering everyone that dared insult me.

Iori:.. This is why you are never becoming a moderator. The exact reason. We do not need a dictator!

I'd have to say the best time is now. Where I can post without people bullying me and telling me to kill myself. Even Vande-Chan has grown on me.

Congrats on not going crazy and destroying everything Marc, it's a real feat! Thanks mods for keeping the forum nice and clean. Except for Theigno, just cause. =P

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't believe it's been 10 years. WtW sure has changed. From a shitty place with shitty people to a place with people you can have a good conversation with. Early wtw was some of the worst times of my life. I even wrote a story murdering everyone that dared insult me.

Iori:.. This is why you are never becoming a moderator. The exact reason. We do not need a dictator!

I'd have to say the best time is now. Where I can post without people bullying me and telling me to kill myself. Even Vande-Chan has grown on me.

Congrats on not going crazy and destroying everything Marc, it's a real feat! Thanks mods for keeping the forum nice and clean. Except for Theigno, just cause. =P
The overall site is older than 10 years, but I don't recall exactly when Jita opened it (minus that it was during Frontier), so I tend to skew to when the new version opened up (especially since there were 3 or 4 full 'starting over from scratch' back before the current incarnation, and we don't really have that stuff to check.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am going to say the forums and website started around 2001. Because I remember clips of later Tamers episodes from the site. It may have however been 10 years since you took over. Which is still crazy to think
2001 is a touch early, because I don't believe we would have known the song yet (and Jita named it after the song of course), because the anime didn't start until April 2002.

I haven't run it for 'quite' 10 years, as when the modern version started Jita was still officially running it, even if to a degree that was in name only.

lost in thought

Agent Provocateur
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks to lost for saying 'sure' when I asked him if he wanted to help put back together a forum that had just imploded, and sticking around making sure everything works for a full decade.
It really has been a strange journey getting here. Little did I know back then, when you started coming to me with ideas, that it would lead to us re-launching a forum that already had its own history that would fall into our laps and define the next ten years of our lives. I was in a very different place in my life back then and if we had known what we were getting into, I am not sure I would have really been quite as receptive. But in hindsight, there's a certain pride in knowing what we've managed to accomplish here and that as I've grown and navigated through life (often haphazardly) these past years, With the Will has still been here. It's been a decade spent attempting to do neat things and spending late nights fretting over both the forum and users, but looking back on it all I wouldn't change it. It hasn't always been easy and I am not as active on the forum in recent years as I'd like to be, but it's been a hell of a ride.

It was a really different time back then, though, when we inherited the board we were 10 years younger and With the Will was a community beset with drama, so much so that it often felt like we became instantly infamous there for awhile. And Jita, bless him, decided the time was right to retire, going on a journey to find and do battle with other former forum administrators in a bid to gain their powers. Some say he's still out there, lurking in the woods. But I think Snopes already debunked that rumor.

We do not need a dictator!
Of course we don't, because one has been here this entire time. After years of dolling out the iron fist of righteous ultra justice, Lost rests. One day he shall return to judge the impious among you, but now is not yet that prophesied time.

As crazy as it sounds to think we've made it this far, here's to another decade and whatever those ten years have in store for us.

Sandra U.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Woooooow 10 years I haven't been around that long, next month will be my anniversary on the site yaaaaay. I remember one occasion I had nothing to do and I got curious to see how was the site way back before I joined, so I went to the oldest threads I could find. The one that got my attention is chronicles of WTW because it is like a window to the past, I could read about the old site which started in 2002. And surely the site has come along way since then.

Last edited:

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hard to imagine it's been more than a whole decade. I think it was late 2005 when I first registered and was here when Marc took over and the modern version was launched in 2006. Don't know where the time has gone, I hadn't even started traveling yet. The X-Evolution film and then Savers was the biggest Digimon news at the time. A lot of fun, so many different members coming and going over the years. Glad some of us old geezers are still around. Here's to another ten years!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Woooooow 10 years I haven't been around that long, next month will be my anniversary on the site yaaaaay. I remember one occasion I had nothing to do and I got curious to see how was the site way back before I joined, so I went to the oldest threads I could find. One thread got my attention it was started by who I believed is the creator of the site. Any way he was saying why he created the site, his expectative of it and what he wanted from the site. Then the bad staff he was closing the site because everyone was mean and bully. Then his thread got a lot of comments from users and the newest comment on that thread was "the site is saved" which I believe that gave birth to the modern site which turns 10 years today. And surely the site has come along way since then.
P.S. I don't remember which thread it was and I try to look for it but I couldn't find it, sorry. if I find it I will write the name of it hire.

There is nothing from the prior versions of With the Will here.

There were no backups for us to use as I recall.

The prior version just before this one was taken down when the admins at the time had a 'falling out' let's say.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2006 was about the time I got back into Digimon. Can't remember when I found this site, but I lurked for some years before joining in 2009. Glad it's still going strong.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There was a back up at some point Marc. Pretty sure no longer. Sad but one of those things.

Damnit Neko, you're gonna make me blush with the chan lol.

This -almost- makes me want to do a Best of the Best again...cause nostalgia is knocking saying hello.

Sandra U.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi Marc, I guess you are right. I confused this site with another one, my bad sorry. I have deleted the confusing information.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Congratulations for a successful decade of bringing the latest news from the Digital World straight to Digimon fans. More power to this forum as well as to its maintainers.