10th Anniversary of Digimon Xros Wars

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's the 10th anniversary of Digimon Xros Wars! (It's already the 6th in Japan)

Digimon Xros Wars premiered on July 6th, 2010 in Japan, and was later brought to the US as Digimon Fusion.

Xros Wars wasn't the first time Digimon returned in a larger way after the original anime run ended, but it has a lot of firsts for the franchise.

It goes with a visual style more akin to the earlier anime content, but changed quite a bit. The first half of it's initial story doesn't even include evolution as a concept, instead going with DigiXros, a stylistic change from the earlier fusions and jogresses (with a rather high number of new forms owing to the unique elements of DigiXros.)

The story itself feels like it draws from material like Adventure and V-Tamer quite a bit, while placing a few unique spins on the overall character setup, one of which is, the Digimon tend to feel like they have quite a bit of personality.

The show itself is also unique in that it's probably the 'one' time that we we have evidence of behind the scenes changes, the tiny bits of imagery scene in a Toei studio tour video showing some wildly different character charts, plus the late request to extend the show for another production season, giving us the sequel Hunters.

And of course, one of the high points of Xros Wars was the music. Xros had among the widest and some of the best range of songs in the franchise. Franchise mainstays like Wada Kouji did a wide range of songs, plus Tanimoto Takayoshi (who has sung multiple new songs for Adventure:) also returned to the franchise. On top of that new to Digimon was music from Twill, Sonar Pocket, and of course, Psychic Lover.

But the unique elements of Xros also included a manga that was actually based on the anime, the first time the franchise did that (even if the manga diverged wildly.) It was the first time the show was produced in HD digitally, it was the first time we got any sort of simulcast, or even an official subtitled version with proper video and subtitles (an earlier attempt with a few other seasons were borderline unwatchable.)

More weirder is that it's the only season, at this time, that ended it's run without a home video release in Japan that was actually at retail, owing to an exclusivity deal with rental stores. Although with only a few seasons not on Blu-ray at this point, fans can still hope Xros Wars will get it's chance, especially since it's the earliest Digimon series that would actually benefit heavily from such a release.

Xros Wars, despite not necessarily being among the most popular series' in the franchise, has an odd place in that it appeared recently enough to still feel modern, and it's animation was the first time Digimon was dragged into the modern era, making it age far less than prior shows visually. On top of that, certain bits of how the show feels honestly feels like it's carried on to things like Appmon and Adventure:, making Xros Wars sort of feel like a bit of a handoff from the earlier years, where we can still see what feels like a lot of inspiration towards where the franchise is now (no doubt helped by 2 major cast members from Xros Wars being among the main Adventure: cast.)

It was an interesting series of Digimon, and fans are still quite happy when Digimon from that era appear.

A bit of a fun time for Xros Wars fans to share their thoughts on a unique, and perhaps stranger, Digimon show.

Digimon Xros Wars (and Hunters) are still on Crunchyroll subtitled in HD.

At the moment Digimon Fusion (Xros Wars dubbed) DVDs don't appear to be out of print (with some retailers listing it as out of stock, but expecting more), but if you wanted to nab the show now might be the time to do so, as it could be out of print soon: (affiliate links)
Digimon Fusion Season 1
Digimon Fusion Season 2

Update- Digimon Web put up Xros Wars social art to celebrate, as a mini animation.

A translation of the attached message:
㊗Digimon Xros Wars 10th Anniversary!❗🥳
10 years ago on July 6th, 2010 was the day when Episode 1 "Taiki Goes to Another World!" was broadcast.
Congratulation🎊10 year anniversary🎉We are Xros Heart
Shoutmon! Ballistamon! Dorulumon! Starmons! DigiXros!

Attachments

Last edited:

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Xros Wars was the series that really got me back into Digimon so it'll always have a special place in my heart. <3

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Xros War is something you gotta watch more and more to appreciate it. One of the highlights for me in the end of 2nd season with Shoutmon X7 superior mode scene which was so epic!! Of course gotta mention the all star gathering with all leaders from all previous seasons at the end of Hunters to fight Quartzmon :). Overall I do understand why people dislike it but it does have lots of good stuff in it

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy anniversary to the season that truly got me obsessed with Digimon.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, now that I think about it, I wonder if Soundbirdmon - (technically a Xros Wars Digimon) showing up in today's episode of Digimon Adventure: was a complete coincidence or a planned nod to the 10th anniversary. :unsure:

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, now that I think about it, I wonder if Soundbirdmon - (technically a Xros Wars Digimon) showing up in today's episode of Digimon Adventure: was a complete coincidence or a planned nod to the 10th anniversary. :unsure:
I'd be very surprised if it were planned. Don't forget that this episode was supposed to have aired weeks ago.

Tero

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy anniversary, Xros Wars! It still had the most epic finale. Legend Xros Wars in the Hunters finale just wasn't as epic as We are Xros Heart Ver. X7(also rip. Kouji Wada)

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is good Digimon series as i have stopped watch after Digimon fronter ending in west to watch other stuff and school student life is hard for me enjoy some stuff.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added the official celebration art and message for the anniversary.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Omedeto Digimon Xross ^O^

I really liked the concept of having more than one "nakama" digimon in this show!! ^^

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I was playing Digimon World: Next Order today and I came across Greymon (Blue), y'know the Virus form of the old Tony the Tiger looking Greymon.

And I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool in future games if they used the Xros Wars one as the Virus form instead of just having a lazy pallet swap? Just a though. :unsure:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, Xros Wars. That sure was a season of Digimon.

Every once in a while when I listen to some music on shuffle I come across some track that I really like but I just can't remember where it's from.
When I get up and check it usually turns out that it was music from Xros Wars and for a few hours I remember that this season exists.

Youkomon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very underrated series. I loved it in Japanese..But sadly the dub was bad except for Vic Mignogna's acting. Even then it sounded like they rushed him too...Nickelodeon is not much better than Disney sadly...I just wish we could get the subbed series on bluray along with seasons 1-5.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That wasn't that bad of a series. It was interesting enough. ...Only part of Young Hunters was worth it Or maybe I'm just saying how Tagiru was just Xros Daisuke.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Xros Wars is a series I feel hot and cold on. It's the first I watched live so I have fond memories of being able to catch an episode and then talk about it with everyone, and I like how they handled most of the main Digimon as they were usually given a decent amount of personal motivation and personalities. The music's also phenomenal and probably Top 3 in the main franchise overall. However, I do agree with the issues many others have had with it such as its human characterization, most of the villains, and pacing (and Young Hunters, but that's more of a post-script arc). As a result it's probably the most middle of the road of the series for me, but it's still one I enjoyed.

Last edited: