10th Anniversary of Digimon Xros Wars Manga

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's the 10th anniversary of the Digimon Xros Wars manga!

Written and drawn by Yuki Nakashima, the manga began on June 21st, 2010, roughly 2 weeks before the Xros Wars anime began (owing to V-Jump publishing dates, and getting marketing ramped up as the show was about to begin.)

For various reasons, the manga took it's own path rather than being an adaption of the anime, with Nakashima commenting he wasn't much familiar with Digimon when he signed on, and researched information via books, the internet, and watching Adventure from beginning to end.

While it did take it's own path, one could easily argue it didn't even go the same way the anime did at all, it told an, at times, entirely different story, with cameos, nods, and larger references to other parts of the franchise, while offering differences even for the core Xros Wars characters in a way that fans still enjoy.

It ran for a bit under 2 years, ending being published monthly the same month Xros Wars ended in Japan (airing it's final episode as Hunters a few days after the manga ended), although there was a one off bonus chapter of the manga shortly after.

The Xros Wars manga, having major unique content, but being under the branding of the anime, means we tend to not see unique elements from it show up quite as much as things from other media, but things do occasionally show up, which fans are always happy to see.

Hopefully it'll just go back in print at some point...

Attachments

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hard to believe that was 10 years ago. I was 16 years old when Digimon Xros Wars started.

Funkatronic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've only read descriptions of the manga, but from what I've heard, I'm intrigued. I love the fact that:
  • Yu's manga equivalent was a little sister
  • The sidekick characters were more prevalent and got Xros loaders themselves
  • All the main Digimon got gold evolution forms, which culminating in all of them Xrosing together
The story just seemed more interesting.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It sure was different. Bunch of surprises. ...One thing we may not mention but aen't most manga different then the series or am I thinking of Yugioh. ...That Arc-V manga...

usernamehere

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the manga had an overall better plot and pacing,and it skipped the hunter's arc wich was a big plus :p

antoniorand

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the manga had an overall better plot and pacing,and it skipped the hunter's arc wich was a big plus :p
Being honest, a Hunter's arc written by Yuki Nakashima would have been awesome

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I read this for the first time recently. It's second only to V-Tamer.
It is quite lean though, so I think it was good to have seen the TV Show before reading it.
You kinda get a residual padding effect of theoretical adventures they could have had in-between the set story points.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is quite lean though, so I think it was good to have seen the TV Show before reading it.
You kinda get a residual padding effect of theoretical adventures they could have had in-between the set story points.
I've never read the manga or watched the anime, but are there any points where they contradict each other?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Depends on what you mean by contradict. Except for the initial setup, the plots are entirely different.

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've never read the manga or watched the anime, but are there any points where they contradict each other?
Well there is no yuu and his replacement is girl version of himself name Kotone Amone

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. It hits some similar beats, but as others have said they differ a lot.
In that same vein, I can imagine similar beats from the the episodic adventures in the anime being hit during the ambiguous time skips; just playing out slightly differently.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Depends on what you mean by contradict. Except for the initial setup, the plots are entirely different.
Well there is no yuu and his replacement is girl version of himself name Kotone Amone
Yeah. It hits some similar beats, but as others have said they differ a lot.
In that same vein, I can imagine similar beats from the the episodic adventures in the anime being hit during the ambiguous time skips; just playing out slightly differently.
See, that's what I was curious about: whether certain events play out the same way in both the anime and manga or if they occur differently.

For instance the battle against Piedmon plays out differently in the Adventure novelization versus the show which would be one such example of one media contradicting the other. Another would be the circumstances of how Yamato ends up in the Dark Cave, which differ slightly.

Tarama

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
See, that's what I was curious about: whether certain events play out the same way in both the anime and manga or if they occur differently.

For instance the battle against Piedmon plays out differently in the Adventure novelization versus the show which would be one such example of one media contradicting the other. Another would be the circumstances of how Yamato ends up in the Dark Cave, which differ slightly.
No. They don't contradict each other.

They are different stories.
It's like Digimon Adventure V-Tamer, Digimon Adventure, and Digimon Adventure:. Each story has Taichi but with different story, and they will not contradict.

To simplify it, we can say Xros Wars manga is the alternate universe of Xros Wars anime, or vice versa.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Somewhat better then the Anime (which really isn't anything to brag about : P).

Though the fact that all I can vaguely remember is the frankly creepy treatment of Nene, probably says enough...